Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2012 3:29:02 PM EDT
Stopped by my favorite guncrack dealer today and he had just taken in a nice Les Baer Stainless Stinger on trade. Nice and clean, not even sure it has enough rounds through it to break it in.
I have 3 Nighthawks, thinking about trading my TalonII Bobtail in on the LB. I like stainless guns, my normal carry is a 5in 1911 (Nighthawk GRP)

Is there that much difference between NHC and LB in build quality? I've been wary of Les Baers in the past due to the tightness of their builds. I want a 1911 I can carry without a second thought
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure that would be a good trade monetarily.  Could probably sell your nighthawk for more than you could buy a new les baer from cj1911heaven.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a good point
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
No way  would i recommend you trade your Nighthawk for the Baer.I had three Baers and none were ever reliable,plus Baers support sucks.I found out the hard way.
I do own a Nighthawk Talon II and a GRP in 9mm,Much much better than the unreliable Baers i had.

Stick with Wilson,Nighthawk,Springer Pro in the high end......i have various of these,the Baers are not on the same level....my experience from owning them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I would imagine that Les Baer's build quality, as far as function and reliability, are on par with Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, etc.

They are a bit rougher than Wilson and Brown in terms of cosmetics, but that's just on the insides. And they are built TIGHT.

My TR Special has functioned flawlessly for thousands of rounds. I did manage to bust a barrel link once, and they had it back to me in two weeks, good as new

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldnt own a Nighthawk, but Id still expect to get some cash or ammo in that trade.

As far as quality, Baer builds 1911s as well as anyone out there in the semi-production/custom range. And are as reliable as anything with proper break in, and usually more accurate than anyone else out there.
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Les builds great guns - break them in properly and you are good to go , I would trade a nighthawk for a Les Baer anytime. not so much a wilson though, and I own both, Les has great customer service , I know this from experiencing it

eta - replacing grips that I chipped
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No way  would i recommend you trade your Nighthawk for the Baer.I had three Baers and none were ever reliable,plus Baers support sucks.

What are you, a Nighthawk dealer?  

I just got my second Baer & it's just like the first one: 110% reliable.

I would also like to know how you quantify Baer support as sucking?
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way  would i recommend you trade your Nighthawk for the Baer.I had three Baers and none were ever reliable,plus Baers support sucks.

What are you, a Nighthawk dealer?  

I just got my second Baer & it's just like the first one: 110% reliable.

I would also like to know how you quantify Baer support as sucking?

I agree with coltnut with his statement. So true. I'm rather over my Custom Carry after owning it for 5 months.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I want a full sized 1911for EDC and I really would like a Baer but I've read several negative posts about them. I thought Baer was supposed to be one of the best semi-custom 1911s out there.

I don't know that I would trade a Nighthawk for anything else.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want a full sized 1911for EDC and I really would like a Baer but I've read several negative posts about them. I thought Baer was supposed to be one of the best semi-custom 1911s out there.

They are, for the money.  I have a personal policy of sticking to 5" guns, and currently own 3, which have performed beyond expectation and without issue.   I know Baer doesn't shorten the frame rails as is usually done on his Commander-sized guns, which can lead to feed problems at times.   I'm not sure how he does the Stinger.  

It all depends on what you want.  Either should work.

Link Posted: 10/24/2012 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They are and the customer service appears to be fine unless you act like an ass. That's what I hear though I haven't had to use it. You want to hear horror stories start researching Nighthawk.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
If your NH works, keep it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Bird in the hand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are and the customer service appears to be fine unless you act like an ass. That's what I hear though I haven't had to use it. You want to hear horror stories start researching Nighthawk.

You can research baer, wilson, Brown, nighthawk, volkman, Cabot or whoever, there is always somebody out there who has a horror story.  From personal experience i know if you have an issue with nighthawk they will email you a shipping label & pay for $hipping both ways (good luck with Les paying).  Had a front tritium go dead noticed it on Wednesday emailed my rep issued tag that day.  I dropped it off to ups & the following Wednesday it came back.  I'm pretty sure customer service works both ways.  Act like a pompous ass and I  doubt you get the same service as you would if you acted in a professional manner.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would imagine that Les Baer's build quality, as far as function and reliability, are on par with Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, etc.

They are a bit rougher than Wilson and Brown in terms of cosmetics, but that's just on the insides. And they are built TIGHT.

My TR Special has functioned flawlessly for thousands of rounds. I did manage to bust a barrel link once, and they had it back to me in two weeks, good as new

This echoes my opinion on the subject as well.  With all the big names, it's basically personal preference.  I own 2 Baers, 2 Wilsons, 1 Ed Brown, and 1 Nighthawk.  My personal preference is for the Wilson and the Baers.  I'm not a fan of Nighthawk at all due to a horrible experience with their customer service.  

Cosmetically, the Baers aren't as "pretty", but they are tack drivers and I haven't had a malfunction out of them yet.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bird in the hand.

yep...that's what I decided to do. Told my dealer yesterday to put it back out on the shelf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top