Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/7/2006 5:18:11 AM EDT
Which night sights do you prefer??? I got a set from CDNN for a Kimber, they are trijicon but not novak style. Put them on and just don't like the sight picture. I have the Kimber night sights on my Pro CDP, but was wondering if the Novak style are better??? I just know I got to replace the new sights with something!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:39:35 PM EDT
Even with the discount I get from Brownells, to put Novak tritiums on my Custom II, it would have cost over $150.
I bought the factory Kimber/Meprolight sights that come standard on the TLE's, Tact Pro's, etc., and they are great. They also only cost $65. So, now I have a Custom Ii that has everything that a TLE has, except the frontstrap checkering.
A little skateboard tape solved that problem.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:50:15 PM EDT
I have a TLEII with the Meprolights. I changed the rear to a all black Novak and left the original Meprolight front sight. Great sight picture and a bright glow from the Meprolight. Rear sight was $29.00 from Novaks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:16:23 AM EDT
I put these on my custom II and love em http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_sights.asp
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:57:56 AM EDT
After being contacted by the Vice-President for the type of reviews and pictures I was taking on the HK Pistols board, I bought a set of Ameriglo sights for my HK Compact, and have been considerably impressed.

They're brighter than any other set of sights I have in the safe, seem to be sealed with the same quality as the best ones, and quite well. About the best thing I can say about them is that I hardly ever think about them!!!

Get this: Why are Ameriglo sights stamped "Trijicon"? No, they're not made by them, but because they meet the same specifications, according to the US Nuclear Regulatory Committee, and since Trijicon was first to get registered, it's now(kinda) become a certification stamp.

Check out Ameriglo here. No, I don't make any money from them, nor do I work for them... I just bought their sights, and yes, I got $25 off for doing a full-blown independent review and post, but YES, I DO like them, and their military products speak for themselves.

Check out my HK with Ameriglos:
As delivered,

Installed, next to Trijicons on a Sig 225 that's a year old,

In the dark (right) vs. the year-old Trijicons (left), almost twice as bright
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:12:47 AM EDT
Well I contemplated the Ameriglos, but wound up with Novak style Trijicons.I found a good deal on them. I figured out why I dont like the ones from CDNN........ the front sight is too wide compared to what I am used to. Has anyone ever machined the front sight to thin it, or would it be more hassle than its worth???
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:23:28 PM EDT
I bought the Kimber night sights and am very much pleased.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 8:57:19 PM EDT by JAFO]

Originally Posted By liquiddeputy:
Get this: Why are Ameriglo sights stamped "Trijicon"? No, they're not made by them, but because they meet the same specifications, according to the US Nuclear Regulatory Committee, and since Trijicon was first to get registered, it's now(kinda) become a certification stamp.

I would find it much easier to believe that Ameriglo buys their tubes from Trijicon and that is why it is stamped on the sight rather than to believe that a company would allow another company to use their name, let alone a goverment organization forcing one company to stamp another company's name on their product.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:00:57 PM EDT
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=25330

YoBo Pros or Heinie staight eights.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:41:21 AM EDT
I prefer the mepros, myself - in fact, I wish they would make a novak cut mepro I could put on my Springfield TRP - I contacted Mepro about this, and they said that they have never gotten a gun w/ that cut to get the measurements - that's a cop out on their part - they make their tru dot sights for so many other brands. I guess they just don't wanna make 'em.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:54:54 AM EDT
I replaced the stock sights on my Kimber with Trijicon branded Novak sights. They were $75 from Brownells.

The Ameriglow sights for the Kimber were $99 and didn't look like a Novak cut. The ones I got for my Springfield from Ameriglow are Novak.

At night, I can put my Springfield and my Kimber next to each other and they look precisesly the same now, which is the effect I was going for. I carry one and I shoot IDPA with the other.

I don't like the Heinie straight-8s because I'm not used to that type of sight. It's easier for me to line three things up horizontally and know I'm aligned than two things vertically and know if I'm aligned. But that's a training issue and I'm not exactly the guy who gets the latest and greatest. I'll keep shooting what I've been shooting for a lot of years that's working for me.

Cheers,

kk7sm

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:14:15 PM EDT
I put Meprolight front and rear sights on my Custom II. $89.00 from a local dealer. Took about 20 minutes to remove the factory sights and put the Mepro's in. Great sight picture during the day and very, very easy to see at night. Couldn't be happier with them
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:34:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By XGunBunny:
I put Meprolight front and rear sights on my Custom II. $89.00 from a local dealer. Took about 20 minutes to remove the factory sights and put the Mepro's in. Great sight picture during the day and very, very easy to see at night. Couldn't be happier with them

Did you do this yourself? I ordered the sights from CDNN and wondered if its something I can do myself? The Rear sight looks like its held by a set screw is all. is the front sight staked/pinned or is it just in there by itself?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:49:19 PM EDT
Who has the best price on meprolights for my custom II.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:05:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spartan28:
Who has the best price on meprolights for my custom II.

CDNN has them for $69.95ish shipped.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:20:23 PM EDT
Not sure who makes mine (Novak?) but they say MH3 on them. I like them well enough, they get the job done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:24:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jollyroger:
Not sure who makes mine (Novak?) but they say MH3 on them. I like them well enough, they get the job done.

Those are meprolights
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:19:52 PM EDT
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:53:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By metalsaber:

Originally Posted By XGunBunny:

Did you do this yourself? I ordered the sights from CDNN and wondered if its something I can do myself? The Rear sight looks like its held by a set screw is all. is the front sight staked/pinned or is it just in there by itself?

Thanks

Yep, did it by myself. The rear sight is held in place by tension and the set screw. The front sight is held in place by tension only.

I screwed up the first time around replacing the front sight, I busted the glass vial inside the sight.

A few items you need to have on hand if you plan on trying this yourself: padded vise, penetrating oil, brass punch set, small armorers hammer, a set of armorers files and a small piece of sharpened chalk.

Remove the slide from the frame, and snug it up in the vise. Remove the set screw from the rear sight. Get some penetrating oil and spray both the front and rear sights. Let the oil work for about 10 or 15 mins. Clean off any excess oil from the top of the slide, and using a piece of string and some tape, mark the center line of the old set of sights on the top of the frame. Both the front and rear sights will be removed from left to right when looking from hammer end of the slide. When removing the rear sight be extra carefull not to knock the hell out of it, as you may pinch or lose the spring that is underneath the sight, so use small taps with the hammer to move the sight out of the dovetail.

Once the sights are out, clean any grit out of the dovetails. I also used a small, extrafine file to smooth out some machining marks in the dovetails. The new sights will be put into the dovetails on the slide from right to left, opposite direction of how you removed the old sights. Next take each new sight and see how it fits in each dovetail. Both of my new sights were larger than the dovetails on the slide.

To get the new sights to fit properly, I filed a little from the front and rear of each sight, and I mean a little. I gradually got the sights so they would fit about 2/3 of the way into the dovetail before I could no longer move them by hand. Don't file too much of the sight base away, because if you do, the sight will not fit snuggly into the dovetail. Clean any metal filings from the sights, and clean the dovetails again. I then put a small amount of oil on into the dovetail, to ease the final fit, and then tapped each sight into place. *Remember to place the spring underneath the new rear sight. **Don't hit the new sights too hard, as I did the first time I tried this, and crack the glass vial inside of them, they just need light tapping.

Once you are close to lining the new sights up on the old line of sight, reduce the force of your hits. Once you are satisfied that the new sights are lined up properly to replicate the old line of sight at this point, replace the set screw in the rear sight, put the pistol back together and head for the range. You may need to do some minor adjustment to the rear sight, but you should be pretty close point of aim of your old sights.

My new sights have held up thru 500 rds and have not come loose yet.

***Disclaimer***
Just so everyone knows, I am not a gunsmith(not that anyone would ever think so). So if you try the above method and you screw something up, do not attempt to hold me responsible. I only replaced my sights by myself because I did not want to be without my Kimber for 3 or 4 days while the gunsmith I go to "got around to replacing them". The above procedure is a summary of my gunsmiths directions as he told them to me. I may have deviated from his method, or any precribed method used by other gunsmiths.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:22:26 PM EDT
I took it back to the dealer I purchased it from. They have a smith in house. They were more than happy to replace them for $10. Small price I would say. I have some minor brass marks I need to remove.
Top Top