Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/10/2006 9:58:43 AM EST
I recently purchased a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I have just put the first set of rounds threw her but seem to be having a problem getting it disasembled. I have owned a HK compact and am used to stripping it down.

I place the damn tool in the hole with the slide in the back position, but don't know where to go from there. I have seemed to misplace the manual and any help would be appreciated. I miss having my baby with me!

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:29:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 10:33:21 AM EST by Marksman14]
You placed the what in the where?

Not sure what kind of guide rod you have in that firearm, but assuming its a 1 peice full length or a GI unit, and it doesnt have a bull barrel, step one making sure its unloaded, then removing the guide rod plunger. Push the circular object directly below the muzzle (guide rod plunger) toward the back of the Kimber, and rotate the bushing to counter clockwise. This will allow the plunger to come out, relieving spring tension. Make sure it doesn't fly out and smack you in the face.

*if you have a two peice guide rod in there, the front will have an opening for an allen wrench. Unscrew that, and remove it- then follow the steps above*

Pull the slide back about half way or so, and line up the notch on the slide with the back end of the slide lock (comes out very similar to an HK). Remove the slide from the frame, pop out the bushing, and pull the barrel and guide rod assembly out from the front of the slide. Done and done.

Upon reassembly, remember you have the schwartz safety sticking up. Push in your grip safety to lower it to get the slide back on, otherwise you'll damage it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:31:26 AM EST
Here it is in picture form...

www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:37:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 10:38:51 AM EST by Marksman14]
Well, my above two posts didnt do any good for ya...didnt realize that you had a bull barrel model.

I found this from a website with a review- hope the words help describe the process better to you

"Other nice "custom" features on the gun include the McCormick skeletonized hammer and trigger, extended beavertail, checkered slide release and mainspring housing, McCormick Low Profile combat sights, overall de-horning, and single recoil spring. Since the Compact uses a bull barrel which aligns directly on the slide, there is no barrel bushing. Take-down is accomplished by locking back the slide and placing a small wire "disassembly tool" in a hole in the guide rod. With the "tool" in place, you gently release the slide lock and ease the slide forward, which traps the recoil spring and causes the guide rod bushing to slip out of the slide. Then the slide stop is removed, and the slide, guide rod and spring, and barrel can be removed for cleaning. I didn't really like the wire tool disassembly arrangement, but after seeing the way the gun performed, I came to view it as a necessary evil to accomplish the reliability and accuracy that the gun displays."
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:40:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 10:44:08 AM EST by Wubbie]
No problem at ALL I appreciate the help.

the picture doesn't show the alan key being placed in a hole right underneath the barrel. ( sorry don't know technical word for it ) I remember the manual said to place this in the hole while the slide is pulled back. the move on.... maybe I will give this a shot when I get home!

I don't see why the kimber is so technical to strip down. I'm guessing casue all of it's safety features but who knows!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:46:39 AM EST
My third post should help you out the most. No allen key is used on your firearm...apparantly just a tool you place in a hole in your guide rod while the slide is back. Then all you apparantly need to do is line up the semi circular notch on the slide with the back of your slide lock, and pop it out. Should allow the slide to come right off after that. Atleast thats what I gather.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:49:01 AM EST
Huh! Then whey the hell did the have the tool in the box when I picked it up? Oh well will take a look when I get home! Thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:56:27 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 11:02:31 AM EST by Punani]

Originally Posted By Wubbie:
No problem at ALL I appreciate the help.

the picture doesn't show the alan key being placed in a hole right underneath the barrel. ( sorry don't know technical word for it ) I remember the manual said to place this in the hole while the slide is pulled back. the move on.... maybe I will give this a shot when I get home!

I don't see why the kimber is so technical to strip down. I'm guessing casue all of it's safety features but who knows!

I'll bet it's got a 2 piece guide rod, like this one:

Unscrew the allen screw, and pull the part that comes out completely out.
Push the collar in, turn the bushing, and out comes the bushing. Watch your eyes!
Once you turn the bushing, that spring will shoot the collar out!
Then, pull the bushing out, leave the spring in there, disassemble the slide like in the
picture tutorial above.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:18:32 AM EST
I Have a series 1 Ultra Carry and disassembly is easy but the tool must be centered through the guide rod or it gets caught on the end of the slide.

To disassemble: 1: Pull the slide back and remove the slide stop normally, (Drift out right to left)

2: Then pull slide back until the small hole in the guide rod is exposed and place the short end of the disassembly tool (the allen wrench), in the hole making sure it is not pushed too far in or hanging out.

3: Then remove the slide.

4: Turn the slide upside down and remove the guide rod up and back.

The barrel can now be removed out the front of the slide.

Reassembly is in the reverse order.

You need to leave the allen tool in the guide rod during disassembly and cleaning. It can be a real bitch to get back in order to reassemble the gun.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:59:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By NY1911guy:
I Have a series 1 Ultra Carry and disassembly is easy but the tool must be centered through the guide rod or it gets caught on the end of the slide.

To disassemble: 1: Pull the slide back and remove the slide stop normally, (Drift out right to left)

2: Then pull slide back until the small hole in the guide rod is exposed and place the short end of the disassembly tool (the allen wrench), in the hole making sure it is not pushed too far in or hanging out.

3: Then remove the slide.

4: Turn the slide upside down and remove the guide rod up and back.

The barrel can now be removed out the front of the slide.

Reassembly is in the reverse order.

You need to leave the allen tool in the guide rod during disassembly and cleaning. It can be a real bitch to get back in order to reassemble the gun.

Hope this helps.

Not what I initially thought, but I stand corrected!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:18:14 PM EST
I used a paper clip that was bent into an "L" shape that was about 3/8 of an inch on the shorter leg. Works great.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:13:28 AM EST
Try these links. They are from 1911forum.com. I have had my Ultra Carry II snce November 05 and am just now figuring out how to use the L-shape pin. I used to just depress the spring and work it out. The takedown tool does make it easier once you figuer out how to use it. Kimber's manual is not the greatest when it comes to explaining how to field strip a 1911.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=125173
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=102186
Top Top