Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2009 5:20:44 PM EDT
Ive owned this 23 for the last 6-7 years and probably have put 500 rounds down it.....im guessing WAY less.  Im more into this type of thing now and want to do some upgrades to it.  It is all factory stuff down to the 10 round mag.  Is there anything I should know about this gun.  I read somewhere about certain generations not being that good or not "as good" as others.

Is there anything I can do to it myself to make it a better weapon?  

Let me hear everything from sights to barrels to triggers to mags.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
buy ammo, shoot it more
I like the extended slide release and mag release, these are Glock parts, they are cheap to purchase and install
if legal in your state buy the 13rd mags
don't change anything else, you'll just cause problems, spend your money on ammo and training
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
oh, trijicon night sights are nice, have them on mine
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, how well do you shoot it now? How well can you shoot, period? What do you use this gun for? Home defense? Range gun only? What?

Answer those & you'll get much better answers. My personal suggestion is to simply shoot the thing more & get better shooting, period. Then you can decide if you want a 3-1/2lb trigger, different sights or whatever.

Swapping in the 3-1/2lb trigger is the cheapest & quickest mod one can do to upgrade the gun, IMO. One can usually buy the parts for under $30.

As far as generation differences, the biggest thing *I* can think of is the finger grooves added to the newer models. Someone else can chime in on other changes that I don't know about.

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the extended slide release.  The stock one is a bit too flat for me.

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, how well do you shoot it now? How well can you shoot, period? What do you use this gun for? Home defense? Range gun only? What?

Answer those & you'll get much better answers. My personal suggestion is to simply shoot the thing more & get better shooting, period. Then you can decide if you want a 3-1/2lb trigger, different sights or whatever.

Swapping in the 3-1/2lb trigger is the cheapest & quickest mod one can do to upgrade the gun, IMO. One can usually buy the parts for under $30.

As far as generation differences, the biggest thing *I* can think of is the finger grooves added to the newer models. Someone else can chime in on other changes that I don't know about.

My .o2

newer ones have the "chambered " indicator... kind of nice. slide release is tough, however I would practice the manual method.  night sights... if you that as potential.  I've been playing with the trigger and the spring rating, but that gives minimal returns unless you are hardcore.really nice gun. The 23 was the first Glock I bought after 35 years of S&W and 1911's. Tough gun to beat right out of the box.  Went out and got a 21 and....????Enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I recommend and shoot a Hogue Hand-All on mine as well as installing (and getting used to) the extended magazine release (Glock 22 is a good choice).  I found that I could not *reliably* eject the magazine under pressure with the stock Glock 23 mag release.  Oh, and +1 on the Trijicons.  I don't have them yet, but a friend does and I could not believe the difference.  Well worth the $70 bucks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#7]
What upgrades do you think you need?

I ask because a stock, out-of-the-box Glock is a fine, rugged pistol as is.  Literally nothing you need to do to make it any "better", other than getting plenty of regular capacity mags for it.  G23 13 rnd mags, and G22 15 round mags work perfectly in it also, just stick out the bottom like 3/4 of an inch or so.

Someone will be along shortly to explain all the aftermarket variations on parts to enhance the trigger pull, etc.  But it depends on what you mean by "better".  They run great as-is.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Well OK, looks like Im really set then besides maybe some night sights.  Im a pretty good shooter, I worked in the Dept. of Corrections for several years as an inmate transporter (armed) and was also on the SORT team at the facility so we were hammered quite regularly on shooting.  Went to a  class one time where we were taught the "hard on the front site" style of shooting.  WOW, that was very interesting to say the least.  You dont use the rear sight at all just put the front site on the target and start squeezing.  Works great for CQC.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Went to a  class one time where we were taught the "hard on the front site" style of shooting.  WOW, that was very interesting to say the least.  You dont use the rear sight at all just put the front site on the target and start squeezing.  Works great for CQC.

Actually, that works great for anything other than pure bulls-eye shooting.

Get involved with some IPSC matches. These will help simulate stress as you're shooting against a clock. Clearing jams, reloads, no-shoot targets, swinging targets, etc. etc. are head & shoulders above popping simple holes in a static target in a leisurely fashion.

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well OK, looks like Im really set then besides maybe some night sights.  Im a pretty good shooter, I worked in the Dept. of Corrections for several years as an inmate transporter (armed) and was also on the SORT team at the facility so we were hammered quite regularly on shooting.  Went to a  class one time where we were taught the "hard on the front site" style of shooting.  WOW, that was very interesting to say the least.  You dont use the rear sight at all just put the front site on the target and start squeezing.  Works great for CQC.
 Since you like the hard on the front sight style shooting try some XS night sights and at least 4 G22 mags. Take care.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have any pics of the 23's with 22 mags in them?  How far do they stick out?  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone have any pics of the 23's with 22 mags in them?  How far do they stick out?  Thanks

About a 1/2", sorry no pics.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#13]
night sights (XS BIG DOTS), training, more ammo and hi-caps

that is all
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Trijicon Nite sights. Plenty of 13rd and (G22) 15rd mags. Good ammo, but always check the brass on new loads for a buldge around the base. .40 Glock chambers aren't fully supported and if you reload or shoot hot ammo, you could have problems. Google it. I have shot some really hot stuff with no issues, but that ammo is for shtf. Don't shoot unjacketed bullets.

Secondary to the above and practice,  3.5 lb trigger would be nice if you don't have an itchy finger. Lasermax's are nice but expensive and don't replace training.

You happen to have what I consider the very best of all worlds in a defensive handgun. Light, Hicap, Nice power/capacity ratio, about weather/sweat proof, durable as hell, few parts to break (good luck trying), easy to shoot well with little practice, no typical external safetys to forget to switch off. I'll pick mine up first over many more expensive guns I own. And, if you want even more versatility, you can get a LW 9mm bbl and G17/19 mags or AA .22 kit for cheap practice.

From my experence, lighter bullets (135-155) will generally have more night time muzzle blast than the 180 grainers. I love my IWB clip in holster, or with a jacket my Bianchi Tuxedo shoulder rig with double mag pouch. I also switched out the earlier flatter slide release for the second style. It's cheap and works with so little effort on a reload.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I listening to everyone.  I see some recommend the XS sights and some the Trijicon.  Care to argue your point on these different ones?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#16]
For sights I like the Meps.  Trijicon is too expensive.  The extended slide stop is nice to have but I would recommend not getting the extended mag release if you are going to conceal carry.  Reason is it may dig into your side and there is an increased chance the release may get accidentally bumped and release the mag.  

OD G23
standard sights
extended slide stop
factory mag release
plug for backstrap
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I listening to everyone.  I see some recommend the XS sights and some the Trijicon.  Care to argue your point on these different ones?

Personal preference, try to find someone at the range so you can shoot both, 3 dot vs. Big Dot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top