Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 9:04:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ok, first time over in this section of the arfcom world and I need some help on my 1911.

When changing the recoil spring, is it necessary to change the mainspring at the same time?

Concerned with issues of different #lb rating on the two.  I bought a Wolff extra power spring set, changed the recoil spring, but the main spring on my 1911 is larger dia than the one that came in the package with the set.

Is it gonna hurt anything?
TIA

Oh, in case there is gonna be a flame war, in my defense, I've sold all my glocks

IMO, shouldn't hurt anything, but I'd recommend upgrading/changing all the springs at the same time so you don't have one wearing out before the other does, etc.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:59:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude wolf gives you a firing pin spring, not a mainspring.  Every year I put a new recoil spring and all new mag springs in my edge (about 10k a year) I have yet to change the firing pin spring or the mainspring.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:33:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Regarding the recoil spring:

This is the "oil change" of the 1911. Some advocate every 2,000-3,000 rounds. Some advocate 5,000. Some say wait till it breaks. I'm a 3,000 advocate myself. As for the other springs, I wait till they break... so far hasn't ever happened (yet).
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Never had that problem.

What make 1911?

1k should be nothing for a well made 1911.

My ipsc set usally goes 1k before break down cleaning, and just a few drops of fp-10 on the hood and slide before a match
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
It says
"you need more lube between the slide and frame rails of your pistol"

or
"you are running out of spec ammo on the large side"

Talk nice to it, It'll tell you what's going on.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Are you at using Break Free CLP or better for a lube?
Without the recoil spring install how does the slide function? Is the function smooth?
Any abnormal wear marks?

Are you sure your putting the pistol back to gether correct? Stupid question but I have personally seen it.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#11]
It's possible your disconnector head may not have a proper bevel, and your recoil spring is working too hard to get the slide over the disconnector.  

It'd be helpful to see a photo of your disconnector as it appears from the top of the frame.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a recoil spring failure on my 1911.  It ended up causing the slide to over extend and break the guide rod.  Not sure if it was the original spring or not.  Gun was 15 years old.  I had ~600rds, before me, dad had ~300 or so round count.  He got it used.  I replaced it with a Wolff spring and standard guide rod.  'smith said shoot it until something breaks.  He tested the trigger spring, said it was fine.  He said with the Wolffs it will last longer than a stock spring's 5k suggested replacement.

ETA:  Crazy part is, I don't know which round broke the gun.  It shot fine until I put it in the bag.  I took it home, broke it down to clean it and there were the pieces.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top