Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2010 5:26:38 AM EDT
Never owned or considered a 1911(own a few glocks and M&Ps) but this one struck me as sweet. A guy has it on EE right now for $1k.

What do you guys know about it or think?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I have seen one in person. I talked with the owner of the company about them before they went into production. He was very picky about the parts and how they fit and it actually took quite a while to hit production. I really want one, but I dont have $1k to let go of right now.

Will probably see him today actually.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got one of their new forged frames as I decided to build my own 1911 this time around.  The frame is immaculet.  I did not have time on I was home on leave to fit the slide to the frame however.  As I understand most of the parts are Ed Brown or other high quality parts with the slide being from Casipan I believe.  I had 72 of Double Star carbines down range in 08' on a contract and didn't have any issues.

CD
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm the onse selling the Doublestar. I don't have much range time on it, though It performed flawlessly. It really is a fantastic pistol, though I think the finish could be a bit better. PM me for any questions!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm the onse selling the Doublestar. I don't have much range time on it, though It performed flawlessly. It really is a fantastic pistol, though I think the finish could be a bit better. PM me for any questions!

It really caught my eye last night. Ive kind of looked at them before but that ones seemed to click.

Ive got a upper to move before I can consider it so thats why I havent contacted you. I also wanted to see what the others said about them.

Great pistol though
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#5]
It's still pretty new on the 1911 market.  It looks to be a decent pistol but if it was my money and I wanted a railed 1911 for around $1000 I'd be looking at the Springfield Armory MC Operator.  

I always thought the DS was overpriced (they sell new for over $1200), $1000 for a used one in good condition might be worth the risk, but I like Springfield's warranty.  

What the DS offers that the MC doesn't is the front checkering, that's worth around $200, but the Springfield is just a known commodity, and my choice.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's still pretty new on the 1911 market.  It looks to be a decent pistol but if it was my money and I wanted a railed 1911 for around $1000 I'd be looking at the Springfield Armory MC Operator.  

I always thought the DS was overpriced (they sell new for over $1200), $1000 for a used one in good condition might be worth the risk, but I like Springfield's warranty.  

What the DS offers that the MC doesn't is the front checkering, that's worth around $200, but the Springfield is just a known commodity, and my choice.

good to know and thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

DS is also 100% made in USA with no MIM parts.  That may or may not be worth something to you.  I love my springer, but think my next rail gun will be a ds.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#8]
bye a kimber if you are going to spend 1000.00
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Personally I would rather have the DS. I didnt have great luck with my kimber, and from what I have been hearing its that way with a lot of folks.

ETA: Non railed version is coming and possibly a compact.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Love mine.

Local company so I had to have one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#11]
If somebody offered to swap me my Kimber for a DS, I would say "bye" to my Kimber as well.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I was one of the first to buy a ds 1911 and have been extremely happy with it.  The only trouble I had with it is the slide stop was out of spec so the slide was picky on which mags it would lock back on (an ed brown fault not ds) but Double star shipped one out to me and my gun was flawless within a few days.  The pistol has never had any failures to fire or eject of any kind in its 1500 rounds so far.  Mine came with a diamond kote finish so I can't comment on how the stock pistols are finish wise.  The known cosmetic flaws are the beaver tail fitment and the two lines at the top of the front strap checkering.  From what I have seen the fitment of the beaver tail has vastly improved on the current production pistols so see if the one for sale has the improved fitment.  The gun is a bargain for 1000 bucks don't listen to all the springfield nut swingers.  No mim parts, AMERICAN made,  great customer service, its hard to go wrong with this pistol.

EDIT: Check out budsgunshop.com they have new ones in stock for 1150 with free shipping.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm actually holding on to the DS, as it turns out. I've arranged some funds to take care of the medical bills from my surgery. It is too sweet to sell. If you are still interested, as posted above, Bud's has them new for $1150. I'd highly recommend it!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was one of the first to buy a ds 1911 and have been extremely happy with it.  The only trouble I had with it is the slide stop was out of spec so the slide was picky on which mags it would lock back on (an ed brown fault not ds) but Double star shipped one out to me and my gun was flawless within a few days.  The pistol has never had any failures to fire or eject of any kind in its 1500 rounds so far.  Mine came with a diamond kote finish so I can't comment on how the stock pistols are finish wise.  The known cosmetic flaws are the beaver tail fitment and the two lines at the top of the front strap checkering.  From what I have seen the fitment of the beaver tail has vastly improved on the current production pistols so see if the one for sale has the improved fitment.  The gun is a bargain for 1000 bucks don't listen to all the springfield nut swingers.  No mim parts, AMERICAN made,  great customer service, its hard to go wrong with this pistol.

EDIT: Check out budsgunshop.com they have new ones in stock for 1150 with free shipping.

How easy was it dealing with Double Star? Mine appears to be having the same problem with the slide stop.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How easy was it dealing with Double Star? Mine appears to be having the same problem with the slide stop.

Extremely easy.  Literally spent maybe 10 minutes on the phone explaining the problem, my diagnosis, different mags that I tried.  He wanted me to send the pistol in but I said I would rather try a new slide stop instead of being without my pistol.  He told me about the bad batch from ed brown and said he would send one out right away but if it didn't fix the problem I would have to send my pistol in.  Couple days later my slide stop showed up and all was good.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top