Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2017 12:40:51 AM EDT
I've been doing alot of trading lately, mainly trying to clean out the gun safe of items that I don't ever take out to the range in order to acquire stuff that I actually want and will use. Plus, makes room in the safe being that alot of what I've ben trading off has been ARs I built prior to the election. I

I've been hankering for another 1911 lately, but didn't have the spare funds. Was debating about getting another Colt 1911, but with a kid on the way didn't think it would be anytime soon.

Fast forward to today, I had listed a built AR pistol (PSA lower, Aero Precision upper, Aero Precision 10.5" FSB barrel, Colt BCG, Daniel Defense BCG, Noveske KX3) in hopes of freeing up some cash or just getting a good trade offer. Had a gentleman who messaged me offering a decent cash price, which I agreed upon. A hour before we meet up, he asks if there is anything specific I was looking for in trade. I mention a few things & get an offer for a S&W 1911 E series. Granted, this is the entry model but still seems like a very nice pistol.

I had always like the other S&W 1911s on the market, and hadn't really researched the E-Series up until tonight.

Only downside, the original owner had lost the box and spare magazine 7 round magazine during a recent move. He is suppose to call me if he locates it, but I've got an email into S&W customer service to see how much it would cost me to get replacements.

Plus this makes my sixth S&W firearm in less than 3 months

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:37:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the early billboard Smith 1911's.  It has been a great pistol.  Nice trigger and very accurate.  No issues.  I didn't have any problems with the mags but I currently run a Wilson's in all my 1911's just for reliability sake.

The E series are beautiful guns.  Enjoy..!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn OP, your hankering paid off rather well.  Very nice pistola.

Full Disclosure: This response is cross posted.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I traded for the "same" pistol a few months ago.

It is my favorite pistol now.
For the features you get it's the best buy in a non railed 1911 IMO.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I traded for the "same" pistol a few months ago.

It is my favorite pistol now.
View Quote
I was honestly surprised at all the features that came on this pistol for the money, fits great in the hand
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I was honestly surprised at all the features that came on this pistol for the money, fits great in the hand
View Quote
I put a set of vz operator II's on mine to save the wood for barbq's n such.

They ruin you the gun is so planted in your hand.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Only downside, the original owner had lost the box and spare magazine 7 round magazine during a recent move. He is suppose to call me if he locates it, but I've got an email into S&W customer service to see how much it would cost me to get replacements
View Quote

Don't bother - I forget the brand of magazine that S&W uses, but they're cheapies - $12 mag for $25 from S&W.  Buy a couple of Wilsons instead.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:39:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Don't bother - I forget the brand of magazine that S&W uses, but they're cheapies - $12 mag for $25 from S&W.  Buy a couple of Wilsons instead.
View Quote
My S&W .45acp 1911 came with two Wilsons in 2006. The 9mm 1911 pro series came with 2 Wilsons in 2013. Two different shops. I still use Wilsons in the 45 but mix in some Tripps with the 9 though the latter work just fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree. These seem to be a great value. I've been looking to score one locally.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree. These seem to be a great value. I've been looking to score one locally.
View Quote
I never could find a deal on a used one that was good enough to not just buy new.

A friend who collects a ton of 1911's had it and it was his only S&W 1911 so i traded him out of it since he wasn't attached. (he had never shot it)
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I put a set of vz operator II's on mine to save the wood for barbq's n such.

They ruin you the gun is so planted in your yhand.
View Quote
I'm still trying to figure out which model VZ grips I want to install
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I never could find a deal on a used one that was good enough to not just buy new.

A friend who collects a ton of 1911's had it and it was his only S&W 1911 so i traded him out of it since he wasn't attached. (he had never shot it)
View Quote
I was honestly surprised when the guy offered it and only wanted me to add 100 rounds of 5.56 to even the deal. Every one I've seen locally as well they want alot of money, granted I valued this one trade wise at around $700 but everyone else is asking $900

S&W finally contacted me back, I can get the case through their store. It's like $15 but I know a few guns stored who might have one locally so I'll look for one. I didn't worry about the magazines, I'm ordering some Wilson's
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was honestly surprised when the guy offered it and only wanted me to add 100 rounds of 5.56 to even the deal. Every one I've seen locally as well they want alot of money, granted I valued this one trade wise at around $700 but everyone else is asking $900

S&W finally contacted me back, I can get the case through their store. It's like $15 but I know a few guns stored who might have one locally so I'll look for one. I didn't worry about the magazines, I'm ordering some Wilson's
View Quote
https://grabagun.com/s-w-1911-e-45acp-8rd-5-sts-wd-3dot.html

This place "usually" has the best deals on new stuff.

Trading i'd say you did fine considering the gun market of today.
I couldn't find one for less than 700 used either ..... when i buy used guns i never give over 75% so i was resigned to buy new until i stumbled into my deal.

IMO the case isn't worth anything unless you just want it......your money would be better spent on a decent gun bag if you don't have one.

I've used at least 8 different kind of mags in mine everything worked..... so unless you have bad luck any decent mag should be fine.
I bought 12 brownells mags because a lot of my mags are long in the tooth. They have run in 4 different guns and have a lifetime warranty.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top