Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2006 1:01:42 PM EDT
Just picked one up yesterday and I'd like to see if anyone could share the some insight on the following:

-I've read that the P3AT is in a Gen 2 Stage.  What is the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 and how can will I know wich Gen mine is?

-Where can I find the finger extension (I think it is from Bersa that everyone recommends)?

-What holster do you use for it?  Not sure if I want pocket, IWB, or ankle?  If you could please provide a pick of the holster and a link on where to find it.

-Is the pocket clip worth it?  It looks interesting to me but not sure how practical it is.

-What ammo do you use for plinking and for personal defense?  Please let me know where you find it at the best price if you could.

\Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to get to know my new toy as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Seebee26,

congrats on the purchase of a great little pocket pistol.

* The main difference I recall between 1st Gen and 2nd Gen is the extractor. On the 2nd Gen, it is screwed onto the outside of the slide; on the 1st Gen the extractor is much smaller. The photo below is a 2nd Gen.

*For info on finger extensions, see here: www.1bad69.com/keltec/p3at-fingerrest.htm
you may also want to check out the Keltec forums: www.ktrange.com/ and www.ktog.org/

*I use a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. Inexpensive and it works well. See Nemesis holster

*I'm not a fan of pocket clips on any gun. I want to make sure the trigger is covered.

* For plinking, I generally use WWB FMJ. I've found most FMJs work well, but when I tried Wolf, it gave my P3AT fits. Consider it a lesson learned. For defensive use, I currently use Remington 102gr. Golden Sabers, although I will be looking into the Corbon DPX round when I can spare the cash to buy 200 rounds for testing. I bought the Golden Sabers online at Cheaper than Dirt

Two things to warn you about - My Keltec took at least 200 rounds before it was broken in (in other words, 100% reliable), and when you insert the magazine, press the mag release button in. I failed to do this, and over time the metal mags shaved down the mag relase so that the mag would come out during firing. I probably could have fixed it myself (Keltec is very good about sending free parts if you ask them), but I ended up sending it to them. )Turnaround time was about a week, even though they quoted me 2 weeks.

Here's my 2nd Gen P3AT with a Bersa finger extension and the Nemesis holster:

EDIT: I neglected to mention that I broke the hammer spring during the install, so I gave up and sent it to Keltec. I was a bit ham-fisted; I bet most people wouldn't have a problem getting it back together. Also, Keltec fixed it for free; all I paid was shipping to the factory.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Seabee, another congrats! hot
I know others here have reported good accuracy with the P3's; I haven't had much luck past about 5-7 yards. Then again, a pistol this small ain't exactly made for long range precision. haven
I carry mine in an inexpensive Uncle Mike's pocket holster...works well and hides the "gun outline" very well.

IIRC the spare mags are made by Mec-Gar.

Oh yeah, I used a white Testors model paint pen to paint the front sight blade so I could pick it up easier.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Some good advice by previous posters on this thread.

Let me add that my pocket clip stayed on the gun for about 5 minutes - I couldn't stand the feel on my trigger finger with it in the way.  The 1bad69.com site given has a ton of useful info on Kel-Tecs, dig around for a while.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's a brand new pistol then i would go on the Kel-Tec web sight to find out how to do the FLUFF AND BUFF on your pistol. Did this on my Gen.1 P3AT and it will shoot anything i put through it without a problem. Three things changed on the Gen.2 is they added a rear sight, changed extractor and made the seperate rod guide on the front bottom of the slide part of the slide. All in all, a better setup.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Lots of good advice here.

Let me offer my suggestion on holsters...

Graham Leather's ZULU

I had the Desantis as well as another leather pocket holster and this one BY FAR is the best.  It doubles as a pocket and/or belt holster.  Either way you wear it, you don't even know it's there.  It's got a rear thumb push (not visible in this photo) that allows you to easily eject the gun from the holster with one hand.  The leather is of the highest quality.

I highly suggest you check out the best and largest selection of holsters for your KT P3AT here... www.palehorseholsters.com/pocket.htm
You may even find one that you like better than mine.  It's all about persona preference.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Lots of good advice here.

Let me offer my suggestion on holsters...

Graham Leather's ZULU

<snip photo>

I had the Desantis as well as another leather pocket holster and this one BY FAR is the best.  It doubles as a pocket and/or belt holster.  Either way you wear it, you don't even know it's there.  It's got a rear thumb push (not visible in this photo) that allows you to easily eject the gun from the holster with one hand.  The leather is of the highest quality.

I highly suggest you check out the best and largest selection of holsters for your KT P3AT here... www.palehorseholsters.com/pocket.htm
You may even find one that you like better than mine.  It's all about persona preference.

P3AT noob here too getting by with an Uncle Mikes while looking around (it works well for the price but...). Those ARE some nice looking holsters Palehorse offers.  THX.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top