Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/25/2006 5:12:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2006 5:34:07 PM EDT by MeestaSparkle]
Just got a 1911, one of those cheapy HI-standard ones. I have gotta say though, it's got a nicer trigger than a $1200 kimber I shot a couple months ago. It doesn't look bad for 370 bucks. This is my first non .22 pistol! So... I don't know anything about them.

I am going to shoot it tomorrow, and I would like to know what tips you guys have on maintenance.

Never mind, I'm retarded.... I understand the directions on disassembly now. But I'd still like to hear your general 1911 tips.

I know dry-firing is ok, I heard letting the slide fly home on an empty chamber is bad. This true?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:37:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:40:25 AM EDT
From .22 to .45. Good man!

BTW. Be prepared my friend. One is never enough.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:13:28 AM EDT

I heard letting the slide fly home on an empty chamber is bad. This true?

Yes, indeed...
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:04:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By varoadking:

I heard letting the slide fly home on an empty chamber is bad. This true?

Yes, indeed...

+1 it is hard on the barrel hood and the breech face.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:30:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/26/2006 6:32:35 PM EDT by MeestaSparkle]
Well, shooting it fell through today. Work ended up keeping me 6 hours late But... Here are some pictures of it. New plan is wednesday I'll take it out for a test run. I took it apart and oiled it up. Fit and finish looks real good. The frame was apparently made in the Phillipines, but seems to be ok quality. Of course, time will tell for the durability factor. I'll post a range report after wednesday.

I hope it does alright. This was the cheapest 1911 there, but looks comparable to the springfield I rented. I really couldn't afford anything more than this.. and even this was more than I should have spent. But... It's heavy and I wanted something heavy and solid to practice with. If I can hold this steady and shoot it well, i figure it will transfer to most other guns. Rented one of these and a g17 side by side once to compare. The g17 felt like a pellet gun afterwards and I shot it way better than ever before. So we'll see if my crackpot theory of this being the best thing to practice with holds up.

... Not to mention, i've always wanted a .45 1911. I especially like WW2 weaponry; and this is the closest I can get to a real 1911 without selling my liver.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:00:22 PM EDT
These guns are made in the Phillipines by the same people who make the Rock Island 1911's. The two guns are identical with the exception of the roll markings on the slide.
Top Top