Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2011 1:48:07 PM EDT
Of course I'll post pics...

I bought one of the new "short dustcover shadows", or more specifically a CZ 75 Shadow Black.  I wanted a new gun for action pistol sports (USPSA, IDPA, 3-Gun, and Steel Challenge).  I have yet to find a polymer gun I like.  I really like the CZ 75B, but I prefer the newer beavertail grip.  The 75 Shadow met all of what I wanted (except not being legal for USPSA Production or IDPA SSP yet).

It should be here tomorrow.  I'm pretty stoked.  This will be my first non-1911.

59B
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet! I really want a Shadow. I had a regular SP-01 and 75 Pre-B and can't imagine the combination of the two. Modern features with no fps sounds like a great combo!
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats, I saw your post on the cz forum, I'm looking to pick one up as well. Report back how you like it!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]
What did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

I'd be tempted to sell my SP-01 Shadow for one of those. I like it a lot, but I kind of prefer a more standard 75B frame over the SP-01 frame.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I paid the going rate on czcustom - a couple $$ over 1K shipped.  Not cheap, but when you look at taking a stock CZ 75, getting the Comp hammer, reduced spring kit, target sights, drop free mag release done, it's within about $50.

What I like is that the gun has the beavertail that the standard 75/85 does not have.  So the grip should feel just like your Shadow, but without the dustcover.

59B
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I actually don't even notice that beaver tail difference usually. I shoot an older dedicated Kadet pistol a lot though, maybe I'm just used to it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Where's the pics?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Pics should be coming tomorrow at some point.

I was able to pick up the gun tonight.  The test target is a ragged group with a single flier.  Trigger is listed at 3lb 3oz for the SA, 8 lb 0 oz for the double action.  I fired about 125 total rounds.  50 were Speer Lawman 147gr, and about 75 WWB 115 grainers.

Prior to starting, I cleaned the firearm, lubing the barrel and rails with Break-Free CLP.  I shot between 5 and 15 rounds per mag, at distances ranging from 10 -15 yards.

My initial impressions are that the gun is very accurate.  I was not in a good headspace for shooting tonight.  Very tired, and pretty stressed.  So although the targets were not the best I've ever shot, I'm not concerned.  When I felt a shot break cleanly, it was near the center of the bull.  This is the first time I've shot with a fiber optic, and I found myself bottoming the fiber in the notch, which was causing me to shoot low.  When I used the fiber to pick up the sight, and then level the top of the sights, it was back to where it should be.

The trigger break is clean - it's not quite a 1911, as there is just a bit of creep during the break, but it's a very nice trigger.  The double action was surprising.  There's no staging like a Beretta - the break is really surprising, which leads it to be accurate for me.

The only mechanical issue I'm having is with the safety.  The underside of the safety is VERY sharp, which causes it to hurt when you're engaging it.  Also, there is a false stop right about where a 1911 safety flicks to "on".  Leave it at this stop and the hammer will come down with a trigger pull.  This shocked the hell out of me at first.  However, as I worked with the gun more the safety smoothed out a bit.  This is something I'm going to watch - I will probably try to break the bottom edge of the safety on both sides to lose the sharp edge.

I had one shooting issue, a light primer strike on a WWB round.  I ejected the round, re-loaded it, and it fired on the second try.  No FTF or FTE's, which is what I expected from a CZ.

I did swap the grips already.  On m way from the range I picked up a set of Hogue wraparounds.  I felt the frontstrap wriggling around on me.  I have the wraparounds on my 1911 and my wife's Beretta.  I really like these grips.  They're pretty stretched on this frame but they did go on.  I'll shoot them again tomorrow.

So far I'm very happy with the gun.  I think this is going to be a great competition pistol once I get used to it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, the underside of the SA triggers is a bit sharp. You get used to it pretty fast though. I never did anything with my Shadow or my 75 SAO safeties and they don't bother me anymore.

I'm interested in that false stop you mentioned. I'm not 100% sure what you mean, could you explain that differently? I've noticed on my 75 Shadow, it feels like there is no detent engagement when I apply the safety. There is a positive detent feel when I disengage it though. The safety still operates, but I would prefer more of a positive engagement like on the rest of my 75s.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:04:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Where's the pics?

Ask and ye shall...

Sorry for the crappy attempt at a "junk that is in my pocket" shot:

Right side, slide lock, showing steel full-length guide rod.  It's either a guide rod, or a knitting needle.  I haven't figured out which yet:

Son, clean your weapon.  There's a whole lot of dust there!

So here are a few shots with the safety issue I mentioned.  First shot is safety off:

Next shot is safety on.  Note that the red dot is covered up, and the thumb shield extends over the slide.  In this position, the angle feels significantly higher than a 1911.  I believe this is due to the safety pivoting at the pin in the top right of the safety, rather than at the back of the safety like a 1911.

So here's the place that got me in trouble.  Right before the safety "snicks" into the full-on position, there's a hesitation.  This position feels very close to where my 1911 is when the safety is on.  Notice that the red dot is covered, and the thumb shield is about even with the slide.  I believe that a combination of the hesitation in the movement, the sharpness of the bottom of the safety, my unfamiliarity with the safety, and my long-time shooting of 1911's had me thinking that this was "on".  If you pull the trigger when the safety is in this position, the safety immediately drops to "off", followed by the hammer coming down.

I don't think this is a flaw in the gun - in fact, the more I work the safety, the smoother it is getting.  It actually took a couple tries to stop the safety in the position of the last picture this morning.

59B
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#10]
You need a set of VZ or Nill grips. Looks good though.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm interested in that false stop you mentioned. I'm not 100% sure what you mean, could you explain that differently? I've noticed on my 75 Shadow, it feels like there is no detent engagement when I apply the safety. There is a positive detent feel when I disengage it though. The safety still operates, but I would prefer more of a positive engagement like on the rest of my 75s.

My SP-01 Shadow also has a rather "iffy" safety, completely unlike every other CZ I own (and any I've handled/shot otherwise).
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow looks sexy I want to put an order in for one been following it for a while but I'm torn between the target model and the fixed sight. All my pistols are fixed sight so I may just go that way, I'm just concerned where the POI is in reference to the POA with the fiber optic front sight. I like to cover the target wondering how this set up shoots. Would love to hear a range report when you get around to breaking her in.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top