Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 4:38:55 AM EDT
I am looking to buy my first handgun, mainly for range shooting/ personal defense.  I've read a lot of these posts and wanted to know what would be a good first gun.  I'm sure I'll eventually buy more in the future.  I just wanted to get some of the group's opinions on different guns, as far as accuracy, reliability, value for the price, etc.

- I am on the fence about which caliber to go with 9mm, .40cal, or .45
   - I like the looks of the Sig's, HK, and Glocks.
   - I haven't seen a lot of posts about Ruger.  How are they in your guys' opinions ?
   - Price isn't an issue, although I would consider a used gun also.

Thanks for any response,

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have owned Glocks, 1911's, Rugers.  I now own HK's, and 1911's as well as a BHP , but I might add a  SIG in the future.

HK and SIG are the best of the best.

1911's and Glocks and Berettas come next

Rugers and other brands follow after that.

IMHO
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:21:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally I'm a 1911 guy.   Dont see much point in anything else.   I currently own a Sig and an XD as well but they dont see any trigger time by me.    

For a first handgun though, a Ruger Mk2 or Browning buckmark .22lr get the basics down before moving to a larger caliber pistol.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]
IMHO a .22lr revolver is best for a beginner to learn good shooting habits due to a revolver's simplicity and the .22lr's mild recoil, noise, and low cost.  Develop good shooting habits and move up to a larger caliber as your skills progress.

My general recommendation order for a beginner's handgun:

1.  Full size .22lr revolver

2.  Full size .22lr semi-auto;
    Full size .38spl revolver (or other revolver w/ mild recoil).  (.357 w/ .38spl ammo for practice is good)

3.  Full size 9mm semi-auto
    Snub-nose minor caliber revolver
    Full size major caliber revolver

4.  Full size large caliber semi-auto;
    Compact minor caliber semi-auto;

5.  Compact large caliber semi-auto

6.  Pocket pistols

One other option is to get a Airsoft, BB, or pellet pistol for really inexpensive practice - possibly even indoors.

Another is to look into .22lr conversion kits for some semi-auto handguns.

Whatever you decide to get - Practice, Practice, Practice (even more important w/ semi-auto's).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I recommend a SigArms pistol in 9mm, .40 or .45 ACP.

I have owned quite a few including Glocks, H&Ks, Colts, S&Ws, Springfield Armory and other pistols.
Qualified on, carried and shot both the M1911A1 .45 and M9 9mm service pistols in the Army, but if I had to choose only one, it would be a Sig P220, P229/228, P226 or P239.

Sigs are reliable, well crafted and the controls are the same no matter which one you pick up, whether SA/DA or DAO. slide stop, decocker, mag release that's it.

I'd happily go in harm's way armed with any of those Sigs.

Many fine pistols out there, but these are the ones I have the most confidence in, and therefore recommend the most. Give one a try at a range that rents them.

Others I like are H&K USP, Any good 1911s like Kimber or Colt, Browning Hi-powers.

I find Berretta 92s and M9s too finicky on ammo, and don't care for Glocks for several reasons I won't get into.

ETA: Your question on Ruger. Not bad pistols, but never really cared for the ergos/feel. Personal preference. I feel the same about most Walther's except the PPK which is a great little CCW pocket pistol even if .380 is not a powerhouse cartridge.

Good Luck and keep us posted on what you choose!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:54:30 AM EDT
[#5]
My personal preference is HK.

1911s are excellent too, a tried and true design, there must be a reason why it is the handgun that has shined through WWII to today.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#6]
get a Sig p220 .45

It was my first pistol and I love it  (ACT mags are a dream come true)
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My personal preference is HK.

1911s are excellent too, a tried and true design, there must be a reason why it is the handgun that has shined through WWII to today.

+1
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

+1 on the H&K, 1911 or both?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

HK and SIG are the best of the best.

1911's and Glocks and Berettas come next

Rugers and other brands follow after that.

Seems to sum it up. I would throw S&W/Walther in there with Glocks, Berettas & Springfield Armory.

Personally, I would pass on almost on any of the Ruger models. Too bulky, too heavy & accuracy is average, IMO.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#10]
IMO, a Glock is a great first handgun.  There are no decockers or safeties to mess with.  Just chamber a round and pull the trigger.  Having said that, I prefer my HK, Sig, Kimber, and Walther pistols over my Glock, but it is a good firearm.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
My first pistol I bought was a Walter P99 in .40.  I have since bought another one in 9mm, and I must say, it is a fine handgun.  Very smooth, ergonomic, and easy to take apart/clean.  Definately a fun gun.  Plus, it looks damn cool!  Hey, if James Bond uses it, why can't you?

It seems to be rarely mentioned in these threads, so don't overlook it.  Very underrated handgun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#12]
About the caliber choice...

45: Big, heavy, powerful. However, magazine capacity is poor, most only holding 7 rounds while some hold ONLY up to 10 rounds (correct me if I'm wrong).

40: Mag capacity is usually 12ish rounds. Stopping power is inbetween 9mm and 45, but a shot to any of the vitals with any of these calibers will do nearly the same thing.

9mm: Faster, but lighter. The weakest of these three calibers (still very deadly though). Magazine capacity can be up to 15 with some guns, letting you dump lots of bullets and fast because of less recoil.

Whatever the choice, it's good. In the end, it's not about the caliber, it's shot placement.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#13]
G17 Factory rebuilds w/ three 17 round mags for $365 + shipping & FFL charge.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
About the caliber choice...

45: Big, heavy, powerful. However, magazine capacity is poor, most only holding 7 rounds while some hold ONLY up to 10 rounds (correct me if I'm wrong).

40: Mag capacity is usually 12ish rounds. Stopping power is inbetween 9mm and 45, but a shot to any of the vitals with any of these calibers will do nearly the same thing.

9mm: Faster, but lighter. The weakest of these three calibers (still very deadly though). Magazine capacity can be up to 15 with some guns, letting you dump lots of bullets and fast because of less recoil.

Whatever the choice, it's good. In the end, it's not about the caliber, it's shot placement.

HK USP 45... 12 Rounds

However depending on the shooter, being your first gun a .45 will make some people jumpy... But my choice for home defense in a pistol. (use it to get to the shotgun and Bushmaster...)

HK USP 40.... 13 Rounds or add a jet funnel and get 16 rounds.. I personaly think it is a good mix of both worlds stopping power and hi-cap.. I carry this for CCW.. USP40c..

9mm.. Good training round/plinking round... first gun round... But would not pick as 1st or 2nd choice in defense round..

but all that said whatever you can shoot well will be the best round for you..
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
9mm.. Good training round/plinking round... first gun round... But would not pick as 1st or 2nd choice in defense round..

That's some funny shit right there.

Why fill the guy up with bullshit on his first day here?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:15:34 PM EDT
[#16]
each their own..

If I pick a round of the 3 9mm will be last.. But lots of cheap ammo make it a fun gun to have and plink..
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep, 9mm's are like a hard rain or a soft punch........ Right!!!

Go to a range that rents guns and shoot everything from a 22-45 and see what you think.

Then buy a 22 for practice and a bigger caliber gun for protection and practice a "Bunch".

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#18]
since you added SD in the mix, start off w/ the 9mm--cheaper ammo costs

i would opt for a used Glock 19/17 or a Sig p-226, but more likely the glock as the mags are cheaper

rugers are fine shooters, but the mags are a tad more and i dont really like the polymer frame--get the metal frame ones

also, it depends on wheter you want a manual safety or not...

h/w, since price is not really an issue: get a .45acp 1911 or an HK
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#19]
One of each!   but thats only for the true ARFCOMMER!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:40:09 AM EDT
[#20]
First things first, go to your local ranges and rent a few handguns. You should have a pretty good idea on what you want after that.

Caliber is more of a personal preference.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:57:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Just thought I'd offer up my thoughts and experience on another option. You have some great choices of your own and recomended by others.

Take a look at the XDs. If you get a .40 you can buy conversion barrels later for 9mm and .357sig and swap it between any of the three calibers in a mater of a minute. The grip angle is simalare to the 1911 and is very comfortable to shoot. The slide rust issue others have experienced can be fixed by having the slide gun koted and Canyon Creek does an awesome 4lbs carry trigger job if you don't like the stock trigger.    

I traded my G17 off for one because I just couldn't get used to the grip. It's nice that it and my SA 1911 feel similare in the hand that transitioning between the two at the range is seamless. Seeing as how I carry either one of these pistols depending on dress in the same type of holster in the same position also simplifies things. Mine has been very relible at 1K rds and is accurate enough for carry duty ie. one ragged hole at 10 yards. They can be had for about $350-$400 used and around $400-$500 new.  

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Dave

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:51:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#23]
personally i love my ruger p95d.  yeah the ergonomics aren't as nice as a sig but they are much better than glock or xd.  the da trigger pull is long and sloppy but the sa is fine.  having run rounds through a usp in .40 i don't like it all that much.  i thought the balance on it was much too far forward.  the glocks are nice because with every shot the trigger is exactly the same.  i would assume thats the same for the xd.  i have met a number of people who have sigmas but when asked why they bought them, it was because they were extremely cheap.  but if i could pick any standard pistol i would buy a sig-pro.  they are awesome like the sig p22x series but they are much lighter and more comfortable.

i don't shoot .45acp nearly as well as i shoot 9mm.  but .40sw is about as easy to put downrange as the 9mm.  it also shoots in roughly the same way--well at least for me it does.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1 on the H&K, 1911 or both?

Both

I am more of an HK guy than a 1911 guy though, but I do own both.  6 Hk's and 2 1911's
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
That's some funny shit right there.

Why fill the guy up with bullshit on his first day here?

The arfcom way???????    
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#26]
i was only aware of being able to switch out the .40sw and .357sig barrels on the xd pistols.  i thought the 9mm had to be entirely different due to the fact that the case head is a completely different size.  

on a similar vein can the new sig-pro sp2022 be converted between all 3 calibers without anything more than a barrel change.  i heard this somewhere but i don't know how true it is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
IMO, a Glock is a great first handgun.  There are no decockers or safeties to mess with.  Just chamber a round and pull the trigger.  Having said that, I prefer my HK, Sig, Kimber, and Walther pistols over my Glock, but it is a good firearm.

That's the reason it's NOT a good first handgun.  I love Glocks.  I'll argue with anyone about the quality of them.  To me, there is no better handgun out there.  Honestly a lot of people that talk about their hand guns and how much they shoot will probably never shoot as much in their life time as I do in 2 months.  In the 2 month's I've owned my Glock I've put 6,500 rounds through it.  No issues at all yet.  Don't anticipate any either.  But a person needs experience to handle a handgun that doesnt have any traditional safeties.  We all stress trigger finger off the trigger until your ready to shoot it,  With a Glock it's much easier to have an ND due to no traditional safeties.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:47:15 AM EDT
[#29]
i had a beretta once. racked one in and had hammer follow. never again!hock.gif
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:57:43 AM EDT
[#30]
If you have little or no experience shooting a handgun, a .22LR would probably be a good place to start. If you do have some experience and are looking for something to use for protection, a 9mm would be an excellent choice.

As far as which one? Well there's a shit load of different ones out there for a reason. You need to figure out which one is best for you. You need to decide between SA, SA\DA and DAO type actions? Whether size and weight are issues for you? Which ones fit your hand well? Which ones you can shoot well? etc...

For a 9mm, I would focus on (not in any particular order) the following manufacturers - Glock, Sig Sauer, CZ,  FN\Browning HP's, Springfield XD or HK (if you must ). You need to go some place where you can hold each of these guns and see how they fit in your hand, how well the controls work for you. Hopefully you can find some place to rent some of these so you can see which ones you shoot the best and which actions types (SA, DAO, etc) you like the best?

Nobody here (or anyplace else can tell you what will work best for you, only what works best for them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You need this and one of these. This and that is the best though. Nothing beats one of those. Yada yada yada. what YOU need is to figure out YOU like. Guns are like shoes in a way. No matter how nice a pair a shoes are,  if they don't fit correctly you won't wear them. Same thing with guns. It needs to feel good in your hand. You need to try some on. If you have a chance to shoot any at a range that offers a rental program , do it. You wouldn't just go out and buy a car because some idiot on the internet said how nice it is , would you?  There are lots of good brands out there. they vary in price and style. High dollar guns don't always mean they are the best. Ask about cost on extra magazines and parts. the availability of accessories and options. Figure out what the application is and narrow it down. If it's for range and home it can be a large frame gun. The smaller the firearm the less enjoyable it will be to shoot. You need to keep that in mind. Most people do not realize there is more felt recoil on smaller firearms. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting try and a pick a caliber that you can afford to shoot often. The smaller the bullet does not mean it will be cheaper either. Ask about cost of ammo before you buy. As a firearms consumer you have to be an educated shopper. Good luck.

Oh yeah and... buy a Glock 19 for your first gun

J

Worth repeating.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
There are a few designs that are so classic that they have withstood the test of time.  If you are only going to have one, it would be the 1911 preferably with a horsey on the side.  

BHP is one of those designs also.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Nobody here (or anyplace else can tell you what will work best for you

Sure we can! Get something in .45 ACP!  

J/K
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#34]
While I do agree that a 22 might be best for practice (Ruger makes a nice practice auto for not much money), I would suggest 9 mm if you just want to buy one gun for both practice and pers def.  Yes, I do love my H&K 40 USP, but it does have a pretty snappy kick to get used to.

Also, 9 mm ammo is pretty cheap.  I can get 250 rounds of Remmington UMC at the local sporting goods store for $27 verses $43 for 40 cal and $55 for 45 ACP.  And believe me, the ammo cost does add up.  But maybe that's not an issue for you...

I also love my new airsoft gun for home practice.

Good luck and be VERY careful.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#35]
I would say 9mm for a 1st gun. It is cheap, so you can practice a lot. After that you can get a .45 if you want. There are so many good guns out there that you really should try out a few before you listen to somebody tell you over the internet what is the best. When you do chose to buy, pick up something used FTF in the EE. You can find some good deals and if you decide you don't like it, you can sell it for about what you bought it for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top