Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/23/2003 5:43:43 PM EDT
Woohooo!!! Bought a new .45apc today at the local gunshops annual sale. 12 mos same as cash allows a bit of shopping.

I took home a NIB S&W99. I wanted a Walther but Walther doesn't make a .45, they only make a .40 & 9mm & I have enough 9mm's right now, IMO.

I went immediately to the range & ran a box thru it. Recoil seemed to be "snappy" for a .45, even more than my USP. I'm thinking the slide on the 99 is a bit lighter/smaller?

Loooooooooooooooooooooooooong trigger pull if one fires it DA but not bad on the SA side. Sights had to be adjusted for windage but elev was right on the money.

I did have 2-3 failures to chamber, most likely the problem was my grip as I adjusted to the gun. After that I had no more problems.

Accuracy with PMC ammo was just fine, 3-4" groups @ 25 yards. No doubt this will get better as I learn the gun.

Would like to hear from any other 99 owners & tell me anything you think I should know.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 12:34:01 PM EDT
ummmmmmmmmmm... pics?

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:48:52 PM EDT
Congrats on the purchase. Gotta love the process of getting to know the nuances of a new gun.
I'm holding on a purchase, hoping Santa will be good to me and one of the 1911s in the family will come my way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:56:43 PM EDT
Is it not true that you can carry this pistol cocked? After you fire that first round just don't push the decocker and thus you have a single action trigger pull,right? I am going to get on of these as well. I think S&W got this one pistol right. I only wished it held two more rounds though, it would make an excellent duty pistol if it did!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 9:53:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ghostface:
Is it not true that you can carry this pistol cocked? After you fire that first round just don't push the decocker and thus you have a single action trigger pull,right?

Or simply don't hit the decocker after you cycle the slide to load.

It seems to be a nicely balanced design, the barrel is only 4-1/4" long, kinda like a Commander sized 1911.

Once I get a few hundred rds thru it, it may be another carry gun for me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:25:42 AM EDT
I think it feels better in the hand and points better than I SIG 220, what do you think? I just hope it shoots as good as a 220, if so than S&W has a winner!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:22:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ghostface:
I think it feels better in the hand and points better than I SIG 220, what do you think? I just hope it shoots as good as a 220, if so than S&W has a winner!

It seems to balance better for me than a Sig P-220 or P-226, probably due to size. My SW99 already shoots better than my P-220 did.

The one I bought was the only .45 version the gunshop had in stock so I'm guessing they're selling halfway decent anyway?
Top Top