Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2009 3:35:51 PM EDT
I am now the proud owner of my first RIA pistol, a 5" Tactical purchased from Centerfire Systems last week. I also have a Compact Tactical on backorder since November, but I've been assure they'll be in some day.

Anyway, this one, aside from the butt ugly grips I've already replaced, seems to be a more than decent 1911 for $399 delivered. We'll see at the range, but I'm very optimistic. My only mechanical concern is a somewhat mushy (less than crisp and positive) thumb safety. Cosmetically, I was surprised to find the gun has what looks to me to be something like a Gunkote finish. I have no problem with Gunkote if that's what it is, but I'd expected a more old-timey parkerized type finish. Why, I don't know. That said, do any of you hardcorps RIA guys know for certain what this finish is? And if the mushy safety is a common flaw, what's the most common fix? Lastly, just an observation (not a criticism), the RIA logo and text roll stamped on the slide flat seems to be far more shallow than in most of the guns I see in the pictures posted within this forum. You almost have to tilt it into the light to read it. Why would that be? Something to do with the finish? I'm thinking a sprayed on finish like Gunkote, might have filled in some of the impression, making it seem more shallow than it really is. Or is it my imagination? Thanks in advance for any comments!
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Pics please.  The finish is suppose to be parkerized.  If your's looks like gunkote that's all the better right.  I'm not a 1911 expert but my tactical's safety has a very positive click on and off.  Maybe the dimple in your safety lever is not very deep or the coating you think is on the pistol has filled it in like the roll mark??  or the spring could be a little weak.  David
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's some pictures.  What is this finish?

Link Posted: 1/25/2009 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
mine came with a Novak mag. nice shooter fed anything i loaded in the mag. hits plates @25yds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top