Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 9:25:31 AM EDT
Hey all!
Currently I am using a Smith and Wesson M&P Compact 9mm, it is a tad small for me and hard to shoot with the two stage trigger. So I am looking for a new pistol, nothing super expensive, but will fill the bill in my 3gun competitions and other pistol competitions. I would love for it to have a safety, and a high magazine capacity.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want a safety, consider an M&P 9mm fullsize with the safety and a trigger job (Bowie).

Or a G19 if you can get away from your safety requirement.

Or a BHP or 9mm 1911...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It would be  bit big to carry but would like to try a XDm 9 19+1 I have the 40 and love it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you want a safety, consider an M&P 9mm fullsize with the safety and a trigger job (Bowie).

Or a G19 if you can get away from your safety requirement.

Or a BHP or 9mm 1911...

Hero pretty much summed it up, I think.

I have the full size M&P 9 and love it to death.

And the Browning Hi Power is just an awesome sidearm IMHO.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help so far, I am going to the range tonight and testing some pistols out. I am going to try the XdM 9 and 40, This pistol will be ONLY for competitions, not conceal/carry or HD ( AR or Shotgun for that :) ) I guess I could get away from a safety as long as the trigger doesnt have the long trigger pull like the M&P.

Thanks!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
You wont regret the XDM i looooooooooove mine great firearm.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out the CZ-75.  Its an all steel DA/SA pistol with a manual safety.  Available in full size and compact models, alloy and steel frames, with and without rails.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:38:10 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are looking for full-size and not a carry gun, why limit yourself to polymer frames?

You really have a whole ton of choices then....

Beretta, Sig, CZ, Browning/FN, S&W, etc......

See what fits your hand the best and what type of action you like best (DAO, DA/SA, SA).

If it is for 3-gun, get something where magazines are cheap and plentiful.  Beretta 92F, or a browning high power variant.

It is also not unreasonable to go after a full-size M&P and have the trigger worked on so that you can stay on one platform, but that sounds kind of boring.  Makes sense if you train for the high speed low drag stuff and your life depends on muscle memory.

From an enthusiests standpoint, I'd get something different though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an XDM9  myself. It's an awsome gun, IMO, and I CCW everyday with it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
If it was for carry/HD I would say stick with the M&P platform, but since it's not I agree get something to toy with.

I have a S&W 5906 9mm and a Sig P226 W. German 9mm that I absolutely love, used the 5906 in a 3-gun and it was great. All steel, 15rd flush fit, 20rd aftermarket mags, manual safety, DA/SA. I got it for $425 OTD put a pair of Hogue grips on it and it shoots like a dream.

A 9mm 1911 would be another fun one that you could tinker with.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Desert Eagle?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Full size CZ 75B single action.

16+1

Inexpensive an plentiful Mec Gar mags.

Lots of competition parts/modification support from the CZ Custom Shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top