Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 2:50:02 AM EDT by mirror]
I will be shooting my new Sig 226 soon and had ordered some ammo. I was looking to order some plinking ammo, but ordered aluminum cased instead of brass. Should this pistol be broken in with brass or is this stuff good to go?

Natchez has this stuff pretty cheap, $7.04 in you buy 10 or more.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:51:37 PM EDT
I personally prefer brass thru my pistols simply because a friend of mine had the first round he ever put thru his glock (it was aluminium cased) crack on him when fired. There was no catastrophic failure luckily for him despite his unsuported chamber. In the sigs i would be less concerned due to more than adequate chamber support. I prefer throwing brass thru my sigs but thats just cause i can get it cheap. Off hand i do not know of any concerns or issues with it. I just shoot brass. I could be wrong, if i am tho i just dont know about it lol. On the other hand, i have no problem putting Steel cased ammo thru my AK. But then thats what it was designed for. Would i do that thru an AR, in a heartbeat, but if i had my druthers and could find it cheap i would shoot brass thru an AR. I guess after all that, im not afraid of any casing material.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:37:32 PM EDT
Thx for the reply. What kind of ammo was your friend using? I don't forsee any issues, but I am new to firearms and knowing what ammo should be used to break in a gun.

Btw, the stuff at Natchez is the CCI Blazer 180g FMJ.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:52:20 PM EDT
You know, im pretty sure it was blazer, if my memory serves. I prefer winchester target ammo, in the 100 round value packs, its cheaper than milsurp even by the hundered, and you can find it at walmart for like 11 bucks. For higher grade stuff I prefer federal Hydrashock. I know there are newer fancier and perhaps more deadly rounds out there, but this is what i have experience with and there is alot to be said for a company who makes their living solely off of ammo. But ill be honest, on a student budget, my decisions are based mostly on price and availability. To each his own.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:54:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 10:55:55 PM EDT by Marksman14]
If you look hard enough you can easily find 9mm brass cased ammo for in the 5's.

Natchez usually has great deals on federal american eagle 115 grn.

Just saw you mentioned 180 grn ammo...so ignore the above info.

Might want to mention caliber next time :-)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:52:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Marksman14:
If you look hard enough you can easily find 9mm brass cased ammo for in the 5's.

Natchez usually has great deals on federal american eagle 115 grn.

Just saw you mentioned 180 grn ammo...so ignore the above info.

Might want to mention caliber next time :-)

My bad, I just noticed that. Thx for the info on the 9mm. I have been reading about the 228 9mm and it looks to be something I want to pick up in the future.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:03:18 PM EDT
I trained almost exclusively with CCI El Cheapo ammo in my 226 .40 when I was a LEO, never had a problem. Shoot it repeatedly without shame or worry
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:23:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Selvatico:
I trained almost exclusively with CCI El Cheapo ammo in my 226 .40 when I was a LEO, never had a problem. Shoot it repeatedly without shame or worry

That is very good to hear. Thanks for the confidence.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:18:01 AM EDT
I also prefer brass. I practice with Winchester White box (WWB) 165 gr Value Pack ammo. Less than $16 per 100 round box at Walmart.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:49:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ARer:
I also prefer brass. I practice with Winchester White box (WWB) 165 gr Value Pack ammo. Less than $16 per 100 round box at Walmart.

That is pretty cheap for store bought ammo. I wish the Wally World's in Northern NJ sold firearms/ammo. I have to find one that is close in PA.

^_^_^
Top Top