Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2010 10:33:33 AM EDT
This morning i picked up a S&W M&P 9 Pro. Very nice. The trigger is very smooth and breaks crisply. The reset is short but faint. I do like the reset. Once i get used to it follow ups will be easy. At his point i see no reason to add an Apex sear or tweak anything. I ran 100 115 gr FMJ WWB. Due to time i only had a chance to shoot 7.5 yards. Grouped nicely, but at 7.5 yards it didn't tell me much. I like the long slide smooth action for follow ups.  All mags fed, all ammo went bang and they all hit black. With practice i should be very happy with it. Hell i am already very happy with it.

The only thing, not really a negative just different, that i am not used to is my other guns all shoots 6 o'clock hold. This M&P shoots centered POA or even low. Is this normal with other M&P's?

Now i need a nice kydex holster. Advice anyone. It will be for 3 gun only.

AR15.com required pic:
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice, I just picked up a 9L the other day.  Same gun except for different sights and the trigger isn't as good.  I plan on doing some trigger work to mine eventually.  I agree about the long slide helping follow ups, it really seemed to smooth things out and make double taps easier.  I'm going to use mine for 3 gun also.

Mine also shot right to point of aim at 7 yards.  I haven't gotten it out to 25 yet, if it shoots low at that range I imagine I'll have to shave a tiny bit off the front sight.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The sights on the Pro are designed to "shoot the dot", so you should put the dot of the front sight's fiber optic where you want the bullet to hit.

I didn't like it at first since I've always used the top of the front sight as POA/POI. However, after running it a few thousand rounds in competition, it really grew on me, and it is now my preferred sighting method.

FWIW, I don't feel the need to replace the trigger parts in my Pro either.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. That is what i wanted to hear. The gun is such a good quality gun, i just wanted to make sure its POA/POI was correct. You explanation of how to use the sights works, makes tons of sense. It is my first competition gun and my first with these type of sights.

I will shoot it at next weeks 3 gun. then figure out what i want to do.

thanks

edit: I just had an epiphany. I am a bit thick.......In target shooting 6 o'clock drop is great because you have a small red dot in the middle of your large black dot. In that case seeing the red dot just above your front sight is great. The difference is in competitive shooting like 3 gun there is no red dot or black dot. With this fiber optic sight i put the green dot in the center of the plate, popper or cardboard and shoot. DUH, i get it. lol. If you can't tell, i am new at his 3 gun stuff.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 9L and use it for IDPA.  I bought the blade tech competition package, no complaints with it so far.

http://www.blade-tech.com/Pro-Series-IDPA-PAK-pr-1093.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 7:08:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I found a Bladetech DOH in stock at  Shooters Connection It will be here thursday in time for my saturday 3 gun. I will use this for USPSA, if i try IDPA, i will get the paddle and switch it out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
My God, its beautifull

As for holsters, I have a serpa for my M&P40 that I like a lot. With the retention feature it may not be ideal for competition though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:38:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My God, its beautifull

lol
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#8]
How do you use the sights on you M&P Pro?
I traditionally used option 1. Option 1 shoots 4 inches low at 15 yards. Option 2 shoots 1-2 inches low at 15 yards. Option 3 shoots 2-4 inches high. This all using 115gr FMJ WWB.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

How do you use the sights on you M&P Pro?

I traditionally used option 1. Option 1 shoots 4 inches low at 15 yards. Option 2 shoots 1-2 inches low at 15 yards. Option 3 shoots 2-4 inches high. This all using 115gr FMJ WWB.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/50_BMG/junk/mpsightpicsmall.jpg

I use #2 on my Pro, which is what S&W intended.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:58:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I used my M&P Pro in a 3 gun yesterday. It performed great. I on the other hand need practice. I really like the idea of shooting POA with the F/O front sight. Just center it up on the A zone or plate and fire. I will need practice in comp conditions with my M&P to get more efficient. I am with out a doubt faster with the M&P than other pistols due to the POA, Pro trigger and long slide action. I might participate in some IDPA or USPSA matches to get more trigger time with it.

I used option 2 above and it worked as intended. I still think i am shooting low. It could be me. Several of my longer shots were very low. I have a tendency to flinch and pull. practice practice practice.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a 9mm pro with night sights last week. Love it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone having a sale on the M&P Pros?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I originally thought my MP Pro (and standard) were shooting low.  But I was driving the gun down trying to compensate for an unnatural wrist angle.  Stepping up to the large backstrap has kept me from putting my wrist in an unnatural position and my MPs now shoot to POA.  

Worth a try.

I use sight picture #2 as well.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I originally thought my MP Pro (and standard) were shooting low.  But I was driving the gun down trying to compensate for an unnatural wrist angle.  Stepping up to the large backstrap has kept me from putting my wrist in an unnatural position and my MPs now shoot to POA.  

Worth a try.

You are reading my mind. Last night i was dry fire practicing and i felt like i needed more palm swell. I currently use the small backstrap. I tried the large backstrap the first time i used it, but i was shooting left. I went with the small. After shooting it more, i noticed i was not getting enough finger on my trigger and my front sight is shifted right by between .010-.015 inches. That is enough to put me shooting left by about 3" @ 25 yds. So, the left shooting was finger and front sight not backstrap. I will get to the range soon and try more finger and the large backstrap. I am 6'-0" with long hands, so the large isn't a fit issue.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Worth a try.

You are reading my mind. Last night i was dry fire practicing and i felt like i needed more palm swell. I currently use the small backstrap. I tried the large backstrap the first time i used it, but i was shooting left. I went with the small. After shooting it more, i noticed i was not getting enough finger on my trigger and my front sight is shifted right by between .010-.015 inches. That is enough to put me shooting left by about 3" @ 25 yds. So, the left shooting was finger and front sight not backstrap. I will get to the range soon and try more finger and the large backstrap. I am 6'-0" with long hands, so the large isn't a fit issue.

If there is too much swell for your personal liking, but you need more backstrap, I would take a large grip and sand down the swell portion to your liking, then stipple the entire thing to make up for the difference in texture.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top