Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2006 2:50:26 PM EDT
For you viewing pleasure:

Shot for the first time today, at least by me.  Approximately 200 rounds.

I'm more accurate with it  than my 1911, that is for sure.  I didn't do any hard core accuracy tests but at 25 meters I hit my brothers metal target that has (2) 5" round discs that flip up when hit and one for reset at the top.  I think they're 5".  They're not very big.  Obviously I didn't hit them all the time but I hit them somewhat regularily.  Regardless of all that, it shot well in my opinion.  I like it alot

BUT, the slide wouldn't lock back about 1/2 of the time.  I used 3-15 round Beretta factory mags.  Is this a break in thing or do I have a problem.  And how do I fix it?

FWIW, my dad bought one and shot it for the first time today and didn't have this problem.  If someone knows what to do about this, it'd be nice to hear it.

Beyond that, I love this pistol, I like how it feels, looks, shoots, and I love the price of the ammo.  All I was shooting was WWB 115 fmj, walmart 100 round pack.  Even with this hiccup I'm still in love with it.  Call me crazy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet!

About the slide not locking back, have your narrowed it down to maybe one or two of your magazines?  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Mostly the WWB is your lock back issue.  AE/Win 124's or 147's will lock it back every time I bet.  M9's will eat just about anything but they are made for 124gr NATO Ball so underpowered ammo will lower reliability.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Mostly the WWB is your lock back issue.  AE/Win 124's or 147's will lock it back every time I bet.  M9's will eat just about anything but they are made for 124gr NATO Ball so underpowered ammo will lower reliability.

Well, here's my take.  If his M9 was having trouble cycling the WWB, then yes, I'd say change to a different ammo.  However, cycling was not the issue.  I would bet that his failure to lock back is something mechanical.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:49:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet looking Beretta.

All you need now is a D spring and possibly a skeletonized hammer and you'll be good to go.

I would think a bad magazine would have more to do with the slide not locking back than anything.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sweet looking Beretta.

All you need now is a D spring and possibly a skeletonized hammer and you'll be good to go.

I would think a bad magazine would have more to do with the slide not locking back than anything.

I thought it was mags too, but it happened with all mine and 1 of my dad's and it didn't do this with my dad's pistol which is also new.  But the guys over in the handgun GD board may have helped me figured it out.  I've been using a High ride hold on my 1911 and on this pistol, I think my thumb is holding down the slide lock.  I bet that's it because that's where I was putting my thumb.  I'll shoot it again with my thumb in mind and see what happens.  

Thanks for the replies, they are very nice pistols!!!!!!!  

FWIW, I'm gonna get some of that winchester 124 grain nato rounds too sometime.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, here's my take.  If his M9 was having trouble cycling the WWB, then yes, I'd say change to a different ammo.  However, cycling was not the issue.  I would bet that his failure to lock back is something mechanical.

If the ammo doesn't have enough energy to overcome the recoil spring and the pressure from the mag. spring it may not go back far enough to set the slide stop and that can be mag. dependant.  A guy I shoot with was a factory Barretta shooter and he would break them in with 200 or so 124+Ps and then he could shoot what ever he wanted.  He rotated 4 M-9's through the factory for rebuilds he shot them so much.  He always said after the first 200 they free up and will run like champs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the ammo doesn't have enough energy to overcome the recoil spring and the pressure from the mag. spring it may not go back far enough to set the slide stop and that can be mag. dependant.  A guy I shoot with was a factory Barretta shooter and he would break them in with 200 or so 124+Ps and then he could shoot what ever he wanted.  He rotated 4 M-9's through the factory for rebuilds he shot them so much.  He always said after the first 200 they free up and will run like champs.

Well, this may be and I'll take it to heart.  I still think it was my right thumb.  I'll keep you posted after my next range report.  

So hear this everyone, it may not be pistol related, but user error.  I'll find out next weekend.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Something that is easy to check on is the slide lock spring. If you happen to have the slide off, pull the slide lock out and see if the spring is ok. Springs can break at any time. Probably wouldn't hurt to buy a new set of springs just to have around.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the same problem with the slide not locking back.   It was my thumb............
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I had the same problem with the slide not locking back.   It was my thumb............

How did you take care of it? Did a simple fluff and buff fix it, or did you need to grind a little off?  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I had the same problem with the slide not locking back.   It was my thumb............hr

+1
I've  had just the same problem that disappeared as soon as I slightly modify my grip. Are your hands not too big?
Shot a magazine with the other hand and see what happens. It's a good exercise and it will tell you whether the hold-open has problems or not.
Ciao

Paolo
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I shot it today again, mindfull of my rear thumb, and it happened again one time after a couple of mags.  Then I figured my left thumb may be stopping it too.  I had it resting on the takedown mechanism and it pretty much was resting against the slide.  Then all I did was move my left thumb down right underneath it on the trigger guard and it didn't happen again.  I think my right thumb was keeping the slide lock mechanism down part of the time and my left thumb slowing the slide down from rubbing on it.  I'll keep testing it but I think that was it. Because when I removed those two things, it didn't happen again.  Well, time and shooting will only tell.  I also shot one handed with both right and left hand and it didn't happen then.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top