Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 2:16:04 PM EDT
I just took my new FN high power compact dual action to the range today and to my suprise the P.O.S. wouldn't cycle consistently!

I bought 100 rounds of some cheap ammo called "independant" from the range, it didn't give me many problems; however as soon as I put my 115 grain remington 9mm FMJ in there it was not cycling properly; it would load a round and the slide would stop a half an inch before fully closed?

I thougt Belgian Fn's were supposed to be finely made; I am thinking that the remington is not hot enough?  Even so, it pisses me off that I would even need to worry about having to get special ammo for this god damn thing.  I have owned three colts and a glock in the past none of which gave me problems anywhere near this!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one a couple of years ago. Totally reliable for me. Maybe you just had a bad lot of Remington? I have found American Eagle to work well i all my 9 mms. HTH
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info ArBob.  I really like the fit and finish of the gun, it looks to be very well made, so I guess I can hope that it is a bad lot of remington...  

Unfortunately with all of my years of weekend shooting I have yet to run into ammo that bad! At least with my 1911's and glock.  It really seems like the "independant" was hotter and able to make it cycle.  I will have to buy some different brands of ammo and see what happens.

The 9mm green box remington UMC GMJ 115 grain was bought fairly recently, so I guess I can just hope its a bad box and not the gun; the gun shot really tight groups and I really liked it.  Does anyone know if "independent" brand is loaded hotter than remington?  They were both 115 grain, no other specs on the box.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had very bad luck with Remington UMC and "green box" 9mm ammo. Numerous failures of all kinds in otherwise reliable handguns, such as a G17, M9 and 226. The only decent Remington handgun ammo is Golden Sabre, which is excellent....stay away from anything else. I witnessed a Glock 17C KB with 9mm UMC yellow box. Try Winchester white box, which is consistant, safe and accurate. Some weapons have feed ramps which are ammo sensitive. Part of getting a new handgun is testing to see which loads work and which dont. For example, my Beretta 92 doesn't work reliably with Corbon 115 and 125 grn +P ammo. The blunt Sierra bullet has a tendency to nose dive in OEM Beretta magazines....every handgun has ideosyncracies you just have to figure them out. In any event, with the exception of Golden Sabre, Remington 9mm ammo is garbage and is potentially dangerous, especially yellowbox UMC.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Your using a very light bullet to cycle a VERY hefty action.  High Powers are pretty stiff.  Switch to 125 or even 147 grain for a while until it breaks in.  OR find a hotter 115 grain.  Odd, I have always found UMC stuff to be pretty hot....maybe they've softened it up a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top