Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2012 4:48:52 PM EDT
A  buddy of mine said he saw a 'new' 686 (don't know the dash #) without a lock at a local gunstore. I'm a bit skeptical about it since I haven't heard S&W stopped putting locks on their bigger revolvers.

I also looked on the S&W site for new 686s and it had a lock. I can't think of an explanation for this, without delving into dishonesty on the store's part- any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought I heard that S&W was going to slowly stop putting the locks in over the next few years.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd venture to guess that the place either had the tag marked wrong, or your buddy simply did not see the lock.  I know of no SKU#'s in S&W's 686 lineup without the lock, perhaps with the exception of custom shop creations.

I'm open to being proven wrong, in which case I"ll order one for my shop immediately.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope so. Have been seeing some more guns without them. First it was the 642 and 442. We just got a 340M&P sans lock.

Bring back the no lock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!­!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 4:46:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.

It turned out to be a 686-4, which he bought.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Did it have a lock or no?
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe -6 began the lock series.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I emailed them again and they confirmed only the J's for now
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Good to hear.....

Big fan of SW revolvers but I always send them to Karl Sokol to have the lock taken out... along with trigger job and night sights

I just swapped into another 342 no lock the other day and just got it back from him

I will NOT carry a gun to defend myself with the lock in it.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Did it have a lock or no?

No lock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top