Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/11/2005 5:38:44 AM EDT
I just got my first 1911.

Its a new Colt 70 series, blue w/rosewood grips

Questions:

Should I strip it and clean/lubricate it before use?

If so, what do you recommend for cleaners, lubricants, etc?

Lastly, which model Wilson magazines will it take or are best for it?

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:49:42 AM EDT
Congrats.

1. I ALWAYS disassemble a new firearm before shooting - for three reasons. I want to view all the parts to look for damage, etc. Secondly, I remove all the packing grease/oil and whatever else (obstructions). And last, I relube the gun.

2. I remove all lubricants using Hoppe's. I then lube with CLP.

3. I only use Wilson mags. I prefer the 7 rounders (#47), as I don't like the way it feels having to compress that eighth round at the bottom of the mag to insert the mag into the weapon. Which of course has nothing to do with functionality, as the enormous amount of evidence shows. Just my quirk.

There are many good magazines out there, I just believe Wilson's are the best. Then again, some folks report feeding problems with them. You'll just have to try them.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:53:32 AM EDT
Let me add something that I've said before.

I called Wilson about three years ago, and asked them how they managed to get 8 rounds in a 7 round mag.

The guy told me they changed the follower, and removed two (IIRC the number) of coils in the spring. Which he said essentially made it not quite as strong as the unmodified 7 round spring. He also told me if I needed absolute functionality, buy the 7 rounders.

I already owned 7s and had no plans to buy the 8s, but his info was interesting.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:56:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By redfisher:
I just got my first 1911. Congrats!!!!

Its a new Colt 70 series, blue w/rosewood grips They always forget the pics

Questions:

Should I strip it and clean/lubricate it before use? Yes

If so, what do you recommend for cleaners, lubricants, etc? I use Clenzoil on my1911's

Lastly, which model Wilson magazines will it take or are best for it? Wilson 47D's

Thanks in advance.

Answers in Red
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:13:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:20:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:07:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 7:27:37 AM EDT by redfisher]

Originally Posted By SGB:

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

I just got my first 1911. Congrats!!!!

Its a new Colt 70 series, blue w/rosewood grips They always forget the pics

Questions:

Should I strip it and clean/lubricate it before use? Yes

If so, what do you recommend for cleaners, lubricants, etc? I use Clenzoil on my1911's

Lastly, which model Wilson magazines will it take or are best for it? Wilson 47D's

Thanks in advance.

Answers in Red

+1

Wilson Mag Group buy

Thanks guys.

I thought the same thing re: stripping cleaning and lubing, but wasn't sure what conventional; wisdom was with the 1911

I will do exactly that- break it down see what I have and "lube it like I own it"

as for mags....I was curious as to the "8 round 47D in a 7 round gun" business, but they seem to be the top of the heap and am going in on the group buy. (although I will look at Wilson's site for detail on differences in the different models

as for pix...........its a bone stock 70 series, and I have two I can share for now (I may want to keep this photo as a year from now and $1,500 later it may look a bit different (if they are anything like the black rifle that is! )

Damn, this is a great feeling handgun!! (from a synthetic HK carrying convert)

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:18:01 AM EDT
Nice 1911!

as for mags....I was curious as to the "8 round 47D in a 7 round gun" business, but they seem to be the top of the heap and am going in on the group buy. (although I will look at Wilson's site for detail on differences in the different models

I'd also suggest calling Wilson. I've talked to them a few times over the years and have always found them helpful and willing to answer questions and discuss things with me.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:32:19 AM EDT
Thanks B-stop, and I will do just that tomorrow (Monday)
Top Top