Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 2:54:38 PM EDT
Anyone know where i can get good one online? My 1911 is a TLEII. ANd does anyone know how much of a extension it put on it compared to the stock one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know anyone who actually recommends using them, but you can find all you need from the major parts makers on Brownell's web site
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Pass on this worthless accessory and learn to work with the standard release.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Can u guys thumb the slide lock without changing ur shooting grip? I cant on my 1911..short thumbs
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]
In the training I have received, we are instructed that it is a slide catch not a slide release. This seems to be inline with all of the serious professional instruction I am aware of.
The slide is best released by reaching over the top of the slide, pulling it back, and letting it slam home. You get an extra 3/8 of an inch of slide travel to aid reliable feeding, and it requires less fine motor skill. This method works with gloves on and if your hands are wet. This same motion works very well for clearing malfunctions. Keep in mind that in stressful situations your brain is sending more blood to your vitals and less to your limbs. This has a serious effect on your fine motor skills.
An instructor told my class a story of a soldier in Vietnam they found dead with the slide locked back on his 1911, an empty mag on the ground, a full mag in the pistol, and blood smeared all over the slide release. Food for thought.
If you insist on using an extended catch Brownells carries a good assortment of 1911 parts. Wilson makes one of very good quality. I personally do not recommend them however. They can be bumped to easily, and sometimes just the added mass alone can cause the catch to move unintentionally.
My .02  FWIW
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can u guys thumb the slide lock without changing ur shooting grip? I cant on my 1911..short thumbs

No, but that has no bearing on anything. To begin with, you should push the mag release in with the TIP of the thumb...not the ball...so for most people that will require a repositioning of the pistol in the hand anyway. You can release the slide catch several different ways after dumping the old mag and seating the new, and probably the most consistent is the method recommended by QuinlanV. Faster and more certain than trying to maintain a "firing grip" while you can't shoot anyhow. Bring the pistol in closer to the body and toward the centerline of the torso...you are both stronger and more dextrous in such a position than with the gun out at arms length.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pass on this worthless accessory and learn to work with the standard release.

AMEN

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd pass on the extended slide lock also. Another way you can release your slide is after dumping your empty mag and inserting a fresh one rotate your left  thumb up to the slide lock and release it. You don't have to change your firing grip and your left hand is already in postion for a two handed grip. It works for me.
TC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top