Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2014 4:13:08 PM EDT
When shooting your 1911 where do place your thumb? I try underneath ,but always end up flipping the safety on.  If I place thumb on top it just feel uncomfortable. I have a Dan Wesson Valor ,with the extended safety .Extended safety or no extended safety? Do they make one in between? Are the hard to change out?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
When shooting your 1911 where do place your thumb? I try underneath ,but always end up flipping the safety on.  If I place thumb on top it just feel uncomfortable. I have a Dan Wesson Valor ,with the extended safety .Extended safety or no extended safety? Do they make one in between? Are the hard to change out?
View Quote

If right handed your right thumb should always be over your left and also stick out to the left.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Proper" placement is on top of the safety.  See pic...
http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/17456/thumbs-forward-handgun-grip/
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank You!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Once you get used to it thumb on top of the safety is the way to go. It may not be comfortable now but eventually you feel any other way is not right
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like the grip you posted. It does two things that will help a shooter and make shooting different guns more consistent. First the heel of the strong hand is on partially on the back strap and as high as possible. No matter the grip angle the position of the strong hand hardly changes. Second the weak hand is canted forward. This puts tension in the weak hand wrist down that will help to control recoil. It also cants far enough forward it wouldn't matter if you shot a Glock or 1911, the weak hand grip angle is nearly the same.

Placing your thumb on top of the safety does several things. It insures the safety is never bumped off. It forces the strong hand to take a high grip to control recoil. It moves your strong hand thumb out of the way to get a high weak hand grip.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top