Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 7:12:00 PM EDT
First it was an XD, then got interested in Sigs, but have since decided I would prefer a 1911 style "cocked and locked" approach.  So now the USP is looking VERY attractive.  

As I've posted before.  In hopes my state will indeed pass CCW soon, I want a nice concealable pistol.  I'm still pondering whether I want 9mm or .45ACP (I reload and shoot both currently, so those would be most convenient).  I'm leaning toward 9mm.  However, I think there just might be a couple threads about that in the archives... so we probably don't need to debate that.

Okay, so now to the actual point.  I've heard USP's are top in terms of accuracy, so obviously a plus.  But how concealable are they compared to an XD or a small SIG (239, 229 etc.).  Is the Full Size a bit much for concealed carry for a smaller guy (under 150lbs.)?  Is the compact a much better choice size wise?  Is it still accurate?  Any opinions on carrying USP's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gundraw

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a .40F . For accuracy and reliability I have no problems.  The compacts seem to be fairly accurate too, although the shorter sight radius doesn't help.  As for concealment , Both the full and compact are a bit much to easily conceal with light clothing.  No problems with a light coat or button down shirt over em, but witha t shirt its tough to hide. I haven't tried the P2000 , but from looking at it, it looks like a better concealment choice, although no C'n'L feature.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to carry a USP .45 Tactical without any problems in a VersaMax 2. It would have been a lot better using a wider belt (I was ignorant and ordered a 1.25" width belt). Get a good holster and belt and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a compact .40 that I like a lot.  I have not carried it yet though, holding off until I can afford a top of the line holster.  Just from sticking it in my waistband, I think it'll be pretty easy to conceal with a tshirt.  I'd say a full size would be hard to conceal on a 150lb frame.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
If you go for the .45, it is a large gun.

Even the HK compact USPs aren't that compact. They are close in size to a full size.

Accuracy is pretty even between all major brands.....it comes down to preference and what fits your hand.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The number one question is about your wardrobe.  Can you wear a fairly large cover garment all the time?  If so, you can carry in an OWB holster and that really opens up your carry choices.  The bulk of the gun isn't an issue.  If you think you need an IWB holster, the HK pistols are really friggin' fat and there are far better choices if this will be your mode of carry.  

I think a lot of people choose IWB holsters without really thinking about it though.  With IWB, you still need a cover garment because the butt of the gun is visible above your pants.  If you have a cover garment, why not use a OWB holster?  If your over shirt is untucked, but not terribly long, I can see the benefit of IWB, but if you select your shirts correctly, you can do OWB in most cases.

BTW... I do carry an HK UPS .45F on occasion.  It rides in a Blade-Tech OWB holster.  I usually carry this when I can get away wearing a 5.11 vest in public.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#6]
If it is a carry gun and you like C&L - why not a 1911? It is less than 1" wide.......
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm 6'0", 165lbs, and I just ordered a USP-C .45.  I'll probably pick up a Milt Sparks VM II to CCW, and I'm still very worried about how much the weapon will print, especially consdiering my choice of clothing (generally jeans and a polo shirt).  In hindsight, something along the lines of a compact 1911 or even Khar would have been a better bet, but I couldn't resist the HK after shooting a friend's.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:15:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm 6'0", 165lbs, and I just ordered a USP-C .45.  I'll probably pick up a Milt Sparks VM II to CCW, and I'm still very worried about how much the weapon will print, especially consdiering my choice of clothing (generally jeans and a polo shirt).  In hindsight, something along the lines of a compact 1911 or even Khar would have been a better bet, but I couldn't resist the HK after shooting a friend's.

I'm 5'9" ~185 not fat, dress the same as you, and carry a uspc .45 in a vm2.  It does print, but not enough for most people to notice.  You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:25:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I recently sold my XD 9 SC in favor of a USPc45. I carried the XD in a Bladetech OCH IWB holster. I had no issues with concealment even with loose fitting T shirts. The problem is the Blade Tech was uncomfortable.

When I bought the USPc I also purchased a MS VMII. The USPc with this holster is extremely comfortable and as concealable as the XD9 SC. Go with this combo and you will not be disappointed.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:03:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Any USP will serve you fabulously.  For carry though I will recommend the compact line.  They are much easier to conceal w/o really sacrificing much.  The full size guns, especially the 45 are concealable, but will dictate your wardrobe much more than a compact.  I can make my 45 compact disappear under a t-shirt with an IWB holster.  The full size guns won't do that unless you have cosmetic surgery to remove a section of flesh the size of the gun.  he
Good luck whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm 5'9" ~185 not fat, dress the same as you, and carry a uspc .45 in a vm2.  It does print, but not enough for most people to notice.  You will not be disappointed.

That's very good to know.  I'm slightly worried about summer carry, but we'll see.  From what I hear a VMII can make a gatling gun disappear!  Hopefully I'll have the same luck with my USP-C.

She comes in tomorrow!!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#12]
i'm 5'9" 165 and carry a USP 40F daily in a Blade-Tech IWB. Fellow cops and gun nuts often cannot tell if I'm carrying or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top