Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2006 6:21:34 PM EDT
Ive been looking for a weapon that i can carry full time and use as my primary on the range.  My problem is everything i have been trying that i like to shoot is printing pretty heavy on my side.  Ive been looking at the springfield XD line and like the 4inch but cant seem to find a way to hide it.  Do i need to move down to the 3inch, or is the problem the holsters?  We have a very limited amount of stores around so there hasnt been much ive been able to try.

Figured id put my size down so if anyone same size has some advice id greatly appriciate it.
Im 6ft 180ibs with a 32inch waist I wear loose fitting jeans and sweatshirts so i dont think clothing is the problem.

Thanks ahead of time for the advice

Cody

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You say you are a carrying on your side?  Does that mean 3 o'clock?  If so, try moving it around to 4-5 o'clock.  I carry a Beretta 92 (by all accounts a BIG gun) under a loose shirt or sports jersey with no trouble.  It's all about the holster!  If you get a good holster, it makes it a LOT easier to conceal/carry whatever gun you want.  Don't sacrifice gun for concealability, just get more creative.

As for size- I'm 5' 11, ~175 lbs with a military build, so it's not like I have a lot of real estate with what to conceal, and I live in Miami, so clothing options are limited too. You just need to be creative!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Try finding an IWB rig. I can carry a HK USP f .40 with just a loose t shirt and jeans. 5'10"  180 lbs. 32" waist.  If the XD is too big, I think it will be too thick rather than too long.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of holster and belt are you using?  You need a quality holster that sucks the gun into your ribs, and a belt to keep it there.  If you're using an Uncle Mike's holster on a K-mart brand leather belt, it's not going to work--spend the coin on a quality rig, and don't forget the belt.

As Rocky 9_5 said, IWB works pretty well to break up the outline, as well as quality pancake holsters.  I carry a full-size 1911 in a Wilson Combat Lo-Profile holster all the time at the 3:00 position without any problems.  You can also try carrying at about the 2:30 point, this way the butt of the gun rests somewhere under your elbow; helps to conceal the outline as well.

Another reason you may be printing is your shirt's too tight.  Go with loose polos, Hawaiian shirts, or T-shirts about two sizes too big.  You will look like you're trying to hide some weight, but I'd rather look fat than armed.

ETA:  One other thing--every guy here is going to tell you he's got a box full of holsters that didn't work out.  It took me about $500 and roughly twelve holsters before I found the kind that works for me.  Be patient and be willing to buy & try.  You can always sell it on Ebay or the Equipment Exchange.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
the local stores dont have much of a stock, so most were the uncle mikes and other cheap generic holsters, i was hoping to get a high rider holster so i could place it most of the way over my belt..  The only belts they have for sale are the 1/2 inch thick black padded belts from uncle mikes also..

What should i look for in a belt and can u point me to a retail site for it.

Cody
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry my Kahr K40 in a Bianchi IWB holster comfortably and I'm on the chunky side at 6'1" and 245.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
My opinion is that a person should carry the largest caliber gun that he or she can confortably carry.  For me That is the Kimber cpd ultra II in  .45acp. It's light and reasonalbly accurate. Night sights are a plus. I carried a SP101 d/a revolver in .357 mag for 18 years and the kimber is just as confortable to carry with a lot more firepower.  Statistics show that the average defensive firefight  is less that 5 rounds. the .45 should get er done. If you like a 9mm then buy and carry one. It's a matter of personal preference. I just think bigger is better....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the local stores dont have much of a stock, so most were the uncle mikes and other cheap generic holsters, i was hoping to get a high rider holster so i could place it most of the way over my belt..  The only belts they have for sale are the 1/2 inch thick black padded belts from uncle mikes also..

What should i look for in a belt and can u point me to a retail site for it.

Cody

I use Galco belts, , they're relatively inexpensive (at around $70-$80, you can get them lower if you look around) and good quality.  My only issue is they don't seem to have a dark brown, just that Havanna tan and black. Be patient, cruise Ebay and the EE, and you can get some pretty good deals.  

Galco holsters are pretty good and inexpensive for OWB options.  For inside the waistband, nothing beats Milt Sparks, IMO.  Alessi makes some outstanding holsters, as does Kramer Leather.  A Google search can show you what options they have.  I personally use a Galco 1.25" belt with a Milt Sparks Summer Special II IWB holster, and a Wilson Combat Lo-Profile for OWB.  I have one of each for both my 5" 1911 and my Officer's model.  I also have a Summer Special for my Sig P232 and my S&W snubbie.

Belt should be thick and not twist under the weight of the handgun.  Should also be wide enough to fit the holster without the holster sliding up and down much at all (i.e., don't get a 1.25 inch belt and put a holster with 2 inch slots on it.

ETA:  For holster selection, you need to figure out where you want to draw from based on your anatomy and lifestyle.  I have long arms, so I like a low-ride holster, not one that keeps the butt up by my armpit.  I also prefer having the pistol at 3:00, because any further back and it's uncomfortable for me to sit down.  Once you figure out where you might like to keep it, you need to decide on IWB or OWB, then go look for holsters to match your desires.  Be prepared to buy multiples until you get it right.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:21:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The mid-size GLOCKs are good combination of compact size, shootability, and ammo capacity. I like the G19 and carry one every day in a Threat Solutions UCR IWB with a Wilderness 3-stitch belt. It is easily concealed under a normal fitting T-shirt.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#10]
"Printing" is always a problem with strong side or over buttocks carry modes, (good holster or not).

In this position any bending forward at the waist shows your armed, (prints).

The vast majority of those I spy on a daily basis are carrying their handguns in this manner, problem is they never even know it because unlike moms, guys don't have eyes in the back of their heads.

This issue is easily solved with a Uncle Mike's $7 IWB cordura holster and changing your carry position to crossdraw, which moves the handgun:

1st, up-front where it's always in your line of sight,

2nd, where bending over does not cause your firearm to print,

3rd, where drawing from a seated position is not a chore &

4th, where making a trip to the boys room places the handgun atop your left upper thigh once you have dropped trow............, meaning you won't be embarrassed by having your handgun hit the floor.

Mike

ps - fwiw, I have hundreds of buck of high dollar holsters, Bianchi, Renegade, Ken Null, Galco, Kydex, Sparks; both IWB, belt slide, shoulder rigs, paddles, ankle rigs, you name it. (as a NRA Instructors amd one time CHL Instructors felt it was my duty to try as many carry methods and holsters as possible to learn the pit-falls of 'em all)

The above method works for me everday.

Do I use other methods, yes; on a long trip on the scoot I prefer the full-sized 1911 in a shoulder rig, for those hot Texas summer outtings the Renegade ankle rig and snubbie 357 fills the bill, different circumstances require differing methods, be flexible and for gods sake don't be afraid to experiment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got nearly the same build.  You need an IWB holster and a good belt, and you'll be fine.  I used to CCW my Sig P220, which is very much a full size gun, now I carry a P228, which is only slightly smaller.  I use a Galco suede IWB with a plastic C clip, and it works great.  Got it of Egay for <$30.  Here's what I am looking at upgrading to.

Crossbreed

These are really cool, very comfortable, and very very affordable compared to the Milt Sparks VMII, which is by most accounts, the best IWB holster on the market.  If you don't mind the cost or the LONG wait to get a Milt Sparks, thats what I'd reccomend, but take a look at the Crossbreeds, they are good stuff.  Also, a belt desigined for carrying a gun is a good thing to have.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/GABELTHALF

For a good belt its hard to beat these guys, I have two.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/Default.htm

For great holsters, I have five from them.

I carry XD45acp, Kimber ProCarry II, SIG P220 and I am 5"10" and 225 with 38" waist.
I don't have any problems and another tip is if you are walking around figiting with your gun it will be noticed, with a great belt (see above) and Holster (see above) it will stay put and you need to remember that you are lawfull and don't look so neveous and most will not even notice, most people are oblivious to those of us that carry concealed. The main people who will notice is others carring concealed and the police. You should not have to worry about either, they are the lawful ones. Change the way you posture in public, I know I have. NEVER bend at the waist, bend your knee (gun side) and go down that way to get something by your feet. My last piece of advice is to get an IWB holster because all you have to conceal is the grip (much easier). Good luck and stay alert.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Also I almost forgot, Fist Inc has averaged three weeks on all the holster I have ordered from them. The fastest was 12 days from the day I called to the day it was at my door. Now that is mainly KYDEX IWB, and one leather. If you get the KYDEX I recommend the Thin, but some say they like and have great Ultra Thin. I just like the thin (much thinner than leather and you don't sweat through it. What do I have three #20K and one K1 and one #20 leather. Average cost was $70 with shipping, but I do get a discount on frequent buyer, fifth one was 10% off. Check them out. You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get a 1911, wilderness belt & VersaMax II.

Bingo. All three on right now. But there are other options.

You've got some great advice in this thread (the box full of holsters etc). Very true. But if you search this and the "accessories" forum, you'll find a huge bias for the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. There is a good reason for this. It works! It may in fact prevent that "box full of holsters" many of us have. If it doesn't work great for you after a week, put it on the equipment exchange. Almost certainly it'll sell IMMEDIATELY, and for every penny you paid (no waiting is a big plus).

Can't stress enough how important a quality belt is. Wilderness may be the most cost effective option, and they'd certainly go right along with your stated attire. Probably out last you too.

As to the local stores, I understand the desire to see and try before you buy. But you have unlimited choices here on the net, and can find prices under what a store can afford to sell to you for. Take a risk on a well recommended product here and there, and make a buy or two on the web. You'll likely win all around!

T Bone (Detroit).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top