Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2004 6:43:42 PM EST
At least 90% of all the shooting I do is with one hand (competitve target pistol). I noticed that when I shoot combat handguns, I do much better with one hand rather than with two hands. I am faster and more accurate with one hand.

Since almost all of the shooting I do is with one hand, should I mainly shoot with one hand when combat shooting?

Shooting with one hand feels more natural to me, and I shoot better that way. But am I at a disadvantage if I shoot with one hand in combat?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:54:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:59:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2004 6:59:31 PM EST by spork]

Originally Posted By SGB:

But am I at a disadvantage if I shoot with one hand in combat?

YES!!!

Self defense with a handgun is about multiple center of chest hits as fast as you can. One handed shooting is not going to fill the bill!

But, as I stated, I shoot way better with one hand than with two.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:10:19 PM EST
practice with 2 hands!
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:37:16 AM EST
how well do you shoot on the move ? My guess would be stance / balance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:25:17 AM EST
"Combat"...as in surviving an armed attack...is about many things. Marksmanship is only one of them, and not the most important one at that. One-handed shooting definitely has a place in your training for the possibility of needing to use a firearm for real, but so do many other skills. As noted, two handed shooting will allow faster and more accurate followup shots, as well as (generally) more accurate multiple target engagement, allow you to better cope with varying heights and/or locations of bad guys to be engaged, etc. (Remember, they can, and do, move and use cover, etc., too)

My opinion is that roughly 1/3 of your handgun practice should be one-handed, and do not forget the "weak" hand drills as well as one-hand-only reloads. You should practice drawing and shooting while moving off the "line of force" as many call it along with lots of other things such as low light shooting, close range disarms (often faster than trying to react with the firearm) etc. Most ranges not only are not set up for stuff like this, they will absolutely freak the Hell out if you start trying to shoot like this, so actually finding a place to train correctly is very difficult for most guys. Much can be accomplished through dry fire practice at home, etc. but certainly that is not a substitute for live fire training.

Onr hand bullseye is an excellent way to learn the discipline and the methods needed to shoot a handgun well, but it is only a beginning.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:09:50 PM EST
>>Shooting with one hand feels more natural to me, and I shoot better that way. But am I at a disadvantage if I shoot with one hand in combat?<<
Not really. In spite of all the neat things we have learned about firearms training, venues like the NTI and similar have shown repeatedly that when surprised at close range virtually all shooters will respond with a one-handed response. So if you are good at that, you are already ahead of the curve. However, you should practice alternatives such as firing with two hands, weak-hand, etc. because you may not have the luxury of being able to do what you want to do as opposed to what you have to do. Also, assuming a large caliber weapon, recoil control is more manageable with two hands than one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:00:52 PM EST
I'm kinda the same way, I shoot so much Bullseye , that shooting two handed feels akward. I can shoot better at 25-50 yds one handed, even in rapid fire.

Goes the otherway too, I know people who can shoot two handed very well but can't keep a 45 on the target board at 25yds one handed bullseye style...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:55:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2004 2:57:03 PM EST by De_Professor]

Originally Posted By spork:
At least 90% of all the shooting I do is with one hand (competitve target pistol). I noticed that when I shoot combat handguns, I do much better with one hand rather than with two hands. I am faster and more accurate with one hand.

Since almost all of the shooting I do is with one hand, should I mainly shoot with one hand when combat shooting?

Shooting with one hand feels more natural to me, and I shoot better that way. But am I at a disadvantage if I shoot with one hand in combat?

Spork,

Great!!! You're way ahead of most of us. I shoot much better with two hands than with one, however, I'm trying to spend about 20% of my range combat time one handed rather than two. From 3-7 yards I'm deadly with one hand (especially moving and shooting).

One-handed shooting is great asset to you when you clear houses etc. However, don't ignore shooting with two hands. In combat shooting and steady platform (when moving) is built with a triangle of your torso, arms and hands.

Learn two hands, but don't ever forget what you've already got.

Jeff

[edit: be sure that you can shoot the .45 or other combative round with the same reliability and accuracy as you can with your target pistol. If so, I'll hold by everything I said above.]
Top Top