Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 10:20:24 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me how to remove the cylinder from a J frame smith? Thanks, Jdman
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#1]
It's NOT recommended, but here's how:

First get a REAL gunsmith's screwdriver bit from Brownell's.  These are true hollow-ground bits that won't damage the screw slot like Sears and ordinary drivers will.

On the right side of the frame, just above and in front of the trigger is a screw head.
Depending on the age of the gun this is either actually a screw OR its a threaded cap with a spring and plunger inside it.

Unscrew this screw.  If it's actually a screw BE CAREFUL to ALWAYS get it back in the SAME hole.
This screw is actually individually fitted to THAT specific gun at the factory.  Get it mixed up with another frame screw, and you will damage the gun.

The cap with the spring and plunger is staked together, do not attempt to disassemble it.

With the screw out, turn the gun over and lay it on the bench, left side up.
Open the cylinder.
HOLD THE ACTUAL CYLINDER STILL.
Holding the cylinder steady and unmoving, slide the yoke out the front of the frame.

DO NOT attempt to disassemble the cylinder any further.  Attempting to do so can seriously damage the ejector assembly and RUIN the assembly.

If you absolutely have no choice and HAVE to disassemble the cylinder further, I can post directions.
I strongly urge you NOT to.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Dfariswheel, Thanks that helps alot. Jdman
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top