Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2002 2:26:36 PM EDT
I just purchased an Ultra CDP II. I'm trying to field strip it so I can give it a good initial cleaning and lubrication. However, I'm new to Kimbers and 1911s in general, and am having a devil of a time figuring this out. When I try and follow the instructions, it doesn't work.

Can somebody with practical experience post a detailed description of how to field strip an Ultra CDP II? I would GREATLY appreciate any advice you guys might offer!

I swear I'm not an idiot, but this just isn't working for me and I know someone here will know what the problem is.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Sharkman, what part of the disassembly process is hanging you up?
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That's one of the little ones,no barrel bushing, right? Just lock the slide back to where you can take the link pin out, then take the slide/barrel assy off. I think that gun has a reverse plug, just push the guide rod towards the muzzle, compressing the recoil spring, and lift it out. If I've got the model wrong, forget I said any of this.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the Ultra CDP II is one of the small ones.

I can get the "slide lock pin" out the left side of the gun.  Then I successfully remove the entire slide assembly from the frame.  Here is where I get into trouble.  I can't seem to remove the barrel.  Even if I compress the recoil spring all the way, the bbl won't lift out.  Does the recoil spring and rod come out?  Geometrically, I just don't see how the bbl can lift out.  I know I must be missing something--it can't be this hard to field-strip!

On all my other semi-autos (Sig, Glock), the recoil spring and rod come out!  

HELP!  This is driving me insane!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok Sharkman....
You should have a "dissasembly tool" that came with the gun that looks kinda like a paper clip.  If you didn't get the tool, just use a paper clip :-).

Lock slide to the rear and insert said paper clip type thingy into the small hole in the recoil spring guide rod.  Release slide slowly and push out link pin.

Pull slide off of frame.

Push the rear of the spring assembly toward the front of the barrel to take pressure off of the rear of the assembly.  Lift out the spring assembly.

Disengage barrel from lockup and gently pull through front of slide.

Best of luck.  If you have any trouble, give details and I will check the board tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
^^^^^^^^^^
Dang--I thought I was the only one here. I'm too pokey.

Is there a hole in the guide rod?

If so you can probably use a bent paper clip or something to compress the spring while you try to remove the whole thing.

Even if I compress the recoil spring all the way, the bbl won't lift out...Geometrically, I just don't see how the bbl can lift out.

Geometrically the barrels on 1911s slide right out of the front end

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!  I finally got it.  You feel pretty stupid once you see how it done correctly.  This is my first 1911, so I had no idea the bbl came out the front of the slide.  The instruction book is VERY poorly written.

Took it out to the range today, and it shoots great.  Now I've got to clean it again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top