Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2013 7:34:57 AM EDT
I just received a set of Truglo TFOs for my Gen 3 Glock 37.

I was worried about how the rear sight was going to be to install. It went in great, just gave it a couple swipes with a needle file and it went in smoothly as it should. I was relieved when i got the rear done because the front is a piece of cake.........or so it should be.

I pulled the factory front sight out of the slide with a pair of needle nose pliers. I then put the TFO into the slide.......so far so good. Then I put the screw in and snug it down. They look great! Unfortunately when I grab the rear of the front sight I can move it back and forth. It's probably moving a 1/16 of an inch at the end. I can also move it up and down on the slide a little. It's like the screw is bottoming out on the base of the sight instead of the slide.

I have not put any loctite on this yet. Mainly because I am out and have to go get some. I plan on using red loctite as I have no intentions of taking these off unless they die. In which I will not care if I mess them up removing them.

So if I use red loctite and put some under the sight and allow it to dry do you think the sight will hold and not move around around like it is? I don't know if this is a problem with the sight or my slide. I don't know if I could find a washer/spacer thin enough to use or not.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't use red threadlocker; use the blue stuff.  Tritium sites dim over time.  ~12 years and you'll want to get a new set.  Also, the fiber optic tube tends to fall out sometimes.  No reason to use red.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't use red threadlocker; use the blue stuff.  Tritium sites dim over time.  ~12 years and you'll want to get a new set.  Also, the fiber optic tube tends to fall out sometimes.  No reason to use red.
View Quote

So do you think the blue would hold the sight tight once dried?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 8:32:09 AM EDT
[#3]
blue will be fine
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Got it squared away and haven't used Loctite yet. But I will before shooting it.

After I posted I went back out into the garage. I thought the base of the sight that goes into the slide was made too long, causing the screw to bottom out on the post and not the slide. So I put the front sight in my vise and grabbed a Dremel with a sanding/polishing stone. I took probably a 1/1000 or two off the base. I put it back in the slide and saw it was just a hair lower than the slide. Put the screw in, snugged it down, still wiggled in the hole.

Next I looked at the screw itself. Where I had snugged it down the paint chipped off a tiny amount on the end of the screw. It was bottoming out on the inside of the sight. Looking at it I knew there was no way I could drill it further without ruining the sight.

I thought "I need a spacer". But what could I use? I don't need it to be much thicker than a sheet of paper. It has to be able to withstand heat, cleaner, lube, etc.

After looking around my bench for a few minutes I look down at a spring. I think it was a trigger spring for a .22 rifle I replaced. It was just barely big enough to slip over the screw. I grabbed a pair of wire cutters and based on the amount of pressure it took to cut the spring, it must be fairly tough.

So I put the screw in my front sight tool, slide the coil over the screw, put the sight back into the slide, and start tightening the screw. I snugged it up like before and held my breath for a few seconds.

I grabbed the back end of the sight and tried to wiggle it. IT'S TIGHT!!!!!!!!!

With a caliper I could tell it was just a hair crooked. So I got it straightened up. I will get some Loctite on my way to work tonight, take it apart and add some to it, let it dry overnight, and hopefully get to try it out tomorrow.

Just thought I would pass this along in case someone else comes across a problem like this. I know I could have sent them back. And maybe I should have. But that's just not me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got it squared away and haven't used Loctite yet. But I will before shooting it.

After I posted I went back out into the garage. I thought the base of the sight that goes into the slide was made too long, causing the screw to bottom out on the post and not the slide. So I put the front sight in my vise and grabbed a Dremel with a sanding/polishing stone. I took probably a 1/1000 or two off the base. I put it back in the slide and saw it was just a hair lower than the slide. Put the screw in, snugged it down, still wiggled in the hole.

Next I looked at the screw itself. Where I had snugged it down the paint chipped off a tiny amount on the end of the screw. It was bottoming out on the inside of the sight. Looking at it I knew there was no way I could drill it further without ruining the sight.

I thought "I need a spacer". But what could I use? I don't need it to be much thicker than a sheet of paper. It has to be able to withstand heat, cleaner, lube, etc.

After looking around my bench for a few minutes I look down at a spring. I think it was a trigger spring for a .22 rifle I replaced. It was just barely big enough to slip over the screw. I grabbed a pair of wire cutters and based on the amount of pressure it took to cut the spring, it must be fairly tough.

So I put the screw in my front sight tool, slide the coil over the screw, put the sight back into the slide, and start tightening the screw. I snugged it up like before and held my breath for a few seconds.

I grabbed the back end of the sight and tried to wiggle it. IT'S TIGHT!!!!!!!!!

With a caliper I could tell it was just a hair crooked. So I got it straightened up. I will get some Loctite on my way to work tonight, take it apart and add some to it, let it dry overnight, and hopefully get to try it out tomorrow.

Just thought I would pass this along in case someone else comes across a problem like this. I know I could have sent them back. And maybe I should have. But that's just not me.
View Quote

I'm the same way as you. If I can fix it then it doesn't need to go back anywhere. In the future, if all you need is something the thickness of a couple sheets of paper.... Then cut the appropriate size of material off an aluminum soda/beer can. Use a brick or block to make it flat by laying it on top with a hard surface underneath for a day or so. Then you can use it as a spacer and it will hold up to heat just fine. I came close to having to use this on an upper that had play between the index hole and the barrel index pin...
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a similar problem with a set of TFO's I installed on my Gen 2 G19.
I sent them back to Truglo and they sent me a replacement set that didn't wobble.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#7]
That happened to me a couple weeks ago with a G21. I installed Warren tacticals instead and gave the TFOs away.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top