Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2014 9:06:52 PM EDT
Recently picked up a S&W Model 10-11 heavy barrel.  Need a good holster for it.  Looking for a comfortable belt holster that I can shoot some IDPA with and use to carry it around the farm on the UTV.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#1]
My favorite holster is the Sour Dough Pancake made by Simply Rugged. It is super comfortable. I carry a model 29 4" and if I leave my shirttail out it will conceal the big revolver. I don't know what the requirements are of an IDPA holster. It holds the gun tight but doesn't come with a strap although you could request one. Seriously you could do summersaults and it would hold your revolver.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a model 13 for years (sold it) but I used a bianchi thumb snap holser for it and loved, if i rember right you could strongside and crossdraw.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
G-Code
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at Garrett Industries.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to ebay.  Type in K frame holster, Smith holster, Model 10 holster whatever and start browsing.  There are literally hundreds to choose from.  Generally pretty cheap also.  Hume, Safariland, Bianchi, you name it, its there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I was ordering some Comp III speed-loaders and picked up a Safariland 568 holster.  Comes with belt and paddle attachment for less than $40.  Well see how it works.  Post pics when I get it in two or three days.

ETA: in the mean time some pics of the Model 10

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Andrews Custom Leather.   The Saddle Holster.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]
As promised.  Here is my Model 10 in the Safariland 568 with the belt loop (rather than the paddle, comes with both).  It's very comfortable on my 5.11 belt, holds the revolver securely but still allows for a quick smooth draw.  The Comp III speed loaders work well.  Not as good at my 625 with moonclips but better than I had expected.  Just need to find some good IDPA legal Comp III holders.  Not many options out there.  Anyone have some suggestions?

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
For carry, I'd go with Don Hume or DeSantis. Both are leather & quite comfortable as well as affordable.

For IDPA, I'd use a kydex holster. Blade-tech would be my first choice, carbon fiber for the cool look.  

What works for carry is often the opposite end of the spectrum for what's best for competition.

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For carry, I'd go with Don Hume or DeSantis. Both are leather & quite comfortable as well as affordable.

For IDPA, I'd use a kydex holster. Blade-tech would be my first choice, carbon fiber for the cool look.  

What works for carry is often the opposite end of the spectrum for what's best for competition.

My .o2
View Quote

Agreed. With my N-frames I have a Blade Tech and Bianchi Cup holster I use for USPSA competition and for Hunting I have a good leather holster with a strap to keep it in the holster.  This Safariland is a bit of compromise,  It's a hybrid construction with plastics, leather, and suede.  It seems like its going to be great for IDPA and carrying around the farm.  The suede lining seems to make retention good but the draw is very smooth and almost as quick as my Blade-tech.  Probably not going to try actually concealed carry with it.  For that I have a J-frame and a pocket holster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top