Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2003 5:23:12 PM EDT
Thinking about getting a revolver.   I'm go for my  CCW soon and would prefer something that carries easily but packs a wallop.   Suggestions would be appreciated.   Please keep it simple, I know little about revolvers.   The only ones I own are a couple of reproduction hog legs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If I was only going to own one Revolver(Flame-Suit on) it would be a S&W Lady Smith model 65.
357 cal. with a 3" barrel, shrouded ejector, round butt and fixed sights. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good, except for that "Lady" part!  
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sounds good, except for that "Lady" part!  

The person on the other side will not think it silly. :D

With a good holster and belt a revolver with up to a 4" barrel can be easily concealed. I'd suggest looking for a used S&W K frame 357 as a good place to start.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 4:22:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The model 65 is available in a standard model besides the Lady. The nice part of the lady is comfortable wood fingergroove grips and a smoother trigger (at least the ones I've tried).
They also make a 5-shot model 60. Ideal for smaller hands and easier to hide. If weight is an issue they make sever 357 light weight models also.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I've have the 60-3 rated for 38+P with hogue wooden fingergroove grips. The later ones were rated for 357, I doubt there is any difference other than corporate caution.
Not sure I'd enjoy shooting 357's outa that small a revolver but in a "him or me" situation, I'd be just fine...
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#6]
have a TiTanuim Taurus .38+p works just fine
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]
does titanium gun kick a lot?  i want to get one, but i am not sure if it is controlable.  i rather pay for a titanium than a plastic gun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I always recomend the ruger sp-101, bobbed hammer, 2" barrel IIRC .357, or good old .38+p
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I was going to say .357 or .38, however, unless you practice dragging speedloaders out of your pocket or off your belt you could be in for a rude awakening if the knob was somehow turned in your pocket (then you have a pocket full of rounds which can still be loaded one-by-one.)

A revolver in .45ACP with moonclips is a pretty safe bet that you won't have to reload one round at a time if needed.

If you can't still make up your mind go with a .357 magnum; you can use both .357 and .38 rounds.  

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I highly recommend the M65LS.

I made mine into a "ManSmith" by polishing off the logo.

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the 357 is a great choice , plenty of power  
and one can always use 38+P or 38sp also . I myself very much like the smiths-in particular the 686 although it is on the large size for CCW . This large size also makes it eazy to control and shoot.
I also have a ruger sp101 in .357 which will slip
into a pocket or carry well in a holster.It is quite shootable even with .357 but some will think
it a bit of a handfull with full loads. I think the
exotic metal guns ( Ti or scandium ) would be a breeze to carry but nasty to shoot, not something
to buy for a only revolver,more as something to buy
as your second or third gun for when you really want a super light gun to cary . I have also owned some very nice chiefs specials , (damm,why did I get rid of them ? ) I do think the extra power and flexability of the .357 guns should be given strong consideration .
It really boils down to what you want to use this gun for and what fits your hand and how It works
for you . If you can work it , try to shoot before you buy,friends,guys (or gals ) at your local club ,or maybe rental guns at a gun range .
One place I am always able to play with other
guns is at a plate shoot competition .
NHSPORT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top