Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2006 7:44:07 AM EDT
Hey guys,
                 I have a Colt 70 series gold cup.  My wife bought it used for me about 20 years ago.
I rarely shoot it, but after a session at the range, I notice that one of the fingers on the collet bushing was weak, and it broke off upon inspection.  I called Colt customer service and was told that the collet bushing are not available, and to use a 80 series.
               So the question is, where is the best place to get one..I noticed a hugh range of prices on the net.  Also, can I simply slide it on, or does a gunsmith need to custom fit it.  Do I need a bushing wrench?
               Sorry to appear ignorant,  and I appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks , BigChuck
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#1]
For best results, I'd recommend a gunsmith fit an oversize bushing.  The barrel/bushing/slide interface is one of the most important parts of the 1911 that affect accuracy.

You could simply buy a drop-in bushing and the gun would work, but it probably wouldn't be quite as accurate as it could be otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
For best results, I'd recommend a gunsmith fit an oversize bushing.  The barrel/bushing/slide interface is one of the most important parts of the 1911 that affect accuracy.

You could simply buy a drop-in bushing and the gun would work, but it probably wouldn't be quite as accurate as it could be otherwise.

+1

For a good drop in unit you can pick up an EGW Bushing
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Measure the OD of your barrel.
Measure the ID of your slide.
Go to the Brownells catolog look at the different brands see what bushings will give the best fit.
The dimensions are listed in the cat.
MGW worked well in my GC of about the same vintage.(Maryland Gun Works)P.N.584-579-434
Look and double check YMMV.
Or call EGW and give them your measurements and they will make you 1. (Evolution Gun Works)
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 70 series Gold Cup also.  I use the Wilson Combat bushing.  Good tight fit.
Steve
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
You All,
            Thanks for all the information.  Seems that I have several choices.  I going to check with the  local gunsmith and see what he thinks.  At least I am better informed...Thanks again.
             BigChuck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top