Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:01:14 PM EDT
I have had a G23 for a couple years now. I used to enjoy shooting it; it is a very accurate and reliable pistol.

However, recently I have been shooting a lot of .22 pistols at the range, and have gotten out of the habit of shooting the G23. Now, when I shoot the G23, the recoil seems horrible to me.

I am seriously considering selling the 23 and getting a 19. Should I go with lighter recoil, or just go shoot the 23 until I get used to the recoil again?

I was so sold on the greater power of the .40, but follow-up shots are important too.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#1]
i'd just keep the G23 and get back into it

but then, i'm not a .40sw fan either....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a die hard .45 guy.  However, I also don't get into the caliber debate, nor worry about the very best load.  Handgun rounds from guns suitable for carry will never do the same things as most long gun rounds.  Whether it's a 9mm, .40, .45, 10 mm, .357 Sig, etc., they are all still handgun rounds, and your skill level with whatever you choose is probably more important than your choice of gun, provided the gun is reliable.

With all that in mind, I personally would shoot the 23 and get back into it.  However, if you decide you just plain like the 19 better, than by all means, shoot what makes you comfortable.  Arguements can be made for either caliber, but it comes down to what you will shoot and feel confident with.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Something to consider is your hold may be lighter as you stated you are used to the .22

Knuckle down and establish a good grip and lockout and the perceived recoil won't be as noticable.

I've seen some people that when shooting more so for accuracy and especially with smaller calibers have a more relaxed grip.

Learn to establish a good grip and manipulate the trigger, don't let one influence the other.

Also, looking into a lighter .40 round until you get tuned in.

Mark
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]

I like stuff with the number "4" in it. .40, .44, .45, etc.

But the bottom line is use what you feel most comfortable with, though I would not go lower than 9mm for personal defense, although I do carry a 9x18mm pistol from time to time. Just make sure to use a good expanding +P load, and carry a gun beefy enough to handle it.

That's all I'm going to say about that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks a lot, guys. I have been way more into accuracy shooting lately, with long guns and .22s--that's probably made me change my grip.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I said something naughty and then erased it.

Lucky you caught it - seems like someone always quotes me before I can change mine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
double tap
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#9]
You might consider buying a G19 slide/barrel assembly plus ejector.

Then you can go back and forth between 9mm & .40 within a few short minutes.

I do that with a G22 and a G17slide/barrel/ejector.

www.glockmeister.com
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I was so sold on the greater power of the .40, but follow-up shots are important too.

Thanks!

Sounds like you need the 22 lr conversion. You wont find a faster follow up out there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

Sounds like you need the 22 lr conversion. You wont find a faster follow up out there.

Are there any transferable G18c models out there? Expemsive, but cyclic is definitely the fastest follow up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top