Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 11:36:03 AM EDT
LB454 passed and is headed to the Governor who said he would sign it.  NRA site has story on it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Finally, We are in!!!!! Big Grin

Weapons Bill Approved
Vote 10-years in the making

Nebraska lawmakers approved a measure Thursday to allow Nebraskans to carry concealed weapons, which will make it the 48th state to allow people to pack hidden guns in some fashion.

The vote signaled the end of a 10-year effort to pass such a measure in Nebraska.

Governor Dave Heineman has said he would sign the measure into law. When he does, 40 states will have so-called "right to carry" laws, according to the National Rifle Association. Eight have limited concealed-weapons laws. Illinois and Wisconsin do not allow concealed weapons.

The measure sponsored by Senator Jeanne Combs of Milligan, a member of the National Rifle Association.

"It's just been a long haul," she said. "A majority of Nebraska has spoken. It's time to move on to the other important issues we have."

Like she did during the first two rounds of debate, Combs had to ask colleagues to vote to end filibusters being led by Omaha Senator Ernie Chambers.

Chambers said now that the bill had passed, he didn't see any way to stop it from becoming law.

"It's done now," Chambers said.

Chambers said he took solace in the fact that Omaha has a law banning the carrying of concealed weapons and the bill will not supersede that. The measure also allows any other municipality to pass a ban.

Former Senator Gene Tyson of Norfolk introduced a similar measure in 2003. It was advanced to second-round debate but never returned to the agenda -- later dying because of a rule that gives legislation a two-year shelf life to be passed.

A concealed-weapons measure was first introduced in 1996, but the 2003 vote marked the first time the bill had advanced in the Legislature since 1998. The bill that year cleared one of three rounds of debate before time ran out.

Supporters argue that being able to carry concealed weapons is a constitutional right. And they say the bill would merely put guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens who want to protect themselves against bad guys who already carry weapons.

Opponents argue that allowing concealed weapons would lead only to the potential for more violence.

The issue is one of personal liberty, Combs said. Those who want to carry a gun can, but those who don't, won't, she said.

The bill requires applicants for a concealed-weapon permit to pass a background check and complete a handgun training and safety course. The permit will cost $100 and be valid for five years. Convicted felons will not be allowed permits.

Concealed weapons will not be allowed in a variety of places, including bars, police stations, public meetings, athletic events, schools, churches, hospitals and banks. Signs also could be posted prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons in other locations.

It is estimated that licenses could be granted to more than 64,000 people in Nebraska.

The Vote
The measure needed 25 votes to pass. A "yes" vote was to pass the bill. A "no" vote was against passing the bill

Senators voting yes: (33)
Aguilar, R., Grand Island; Baker, T., Trenton; Bourne, P. Omaha; Brashear, K., Omaha; Burling, C., Kenesaw; Byars, D., Beatrice; Combs, J., Milligan; Connealy, M., Decatur; Cornett, A., Bellevue; Cudaback, J., Riverdale; Cunningham, D., Wausa; Engel, P., South Sioux City; Erdman, P., Bayard; Fischer, D., Valentine; Flood, M., Norfolk; Foley, M., Lincoln; Friend, M., Omaha; Heidemann, L., Elk Creek; Hudkins, C., Malcolm; Janssen, R., Nickerson; Jensen, J., Omaha; Kremer, B., Aurora; Langemeier, C., Schuyler; Louden, L., Ellsworth; McDonald, V., St. Paul; Pahls, R., Omaha; Pedersen, Dw., Elkhorn; Pederson, D., North Platte; Redfield, P., Omaha; Schrock, E., Elm Creek; Smith, A., Gering; Stuhr, E., Bradshaw; Wehrbein, Roger R., Plattsmouth.

Senators voting no: (12)
Beutler, C, Lincoln; Brown, P., Omaha; Chambers, E., Omaha; Howard, G., Omaha; Johnson, J., Kearney; Kruse, L. Omaha; Landis, D., Lincoln; Mines, M., Blair; Price, M., Lincoln; Raikes, R., Lincoln; Schimek, D., Lincoln; Thompson, N., Papillion.

Present, not voting: (3)
Preister, D., Omaha; Stuthman, A., Platte Center; Synowiecki, J., Omaha.

Excused: (1)
Kopplin, G., Gretna.Finally, We are in!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome!!!!  Even though I live in Iowa, this is a big deal to me.  (And not just cause I'm pro 2nd Amdnt.)  I live in Sioux City, IA and can see South Sioux City, NE from my house.  I stopped going into Ne because I could'nt carry there.  I can in South Dakota (15 min drive).

I'll have to see what kind of restrictions the new law will have in regards to "out-of-staters'".

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet!  I'm a former Nebraskan, its good to hear this got passed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'll have to see what kind of restrictions the new law will have in regards to "out-of-staters'".

as it stands right now, no reciprocity and no non-resident permits.

military folks like me who are residents of another state but stationed here, will be allowed to get a permit (kinda like we get hunting licenses for resident prices regardless of residency status).

reciprocity will probably be introduced later on a state-by-state basis, kind of a contractual thing with each state.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
48 down, 2 to go! Nice.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#6]
You know, with no reciprocity, and localities being allowed to superecede state law and ban CCW anyway, this bill is a real piece of shit.  Thank God I never go to Nebraska anyway.  Better than nothing though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top