Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2005 8:48:50 PM EDT
I've been thinking about buying some of the NATO 9mm from ammoman, but I'd like to know what it is classified as ?

Is it just a little hotter than standard loads, or is it genuine " +P " ammo.

I e-mailed eric about it a while back with no response.

Does anyone know to what specs. the NATO 9mm is loaded to ?

I was thinking just +P.... any ideas ?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:07:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2005 9:08:31 PM EDT by bones21]
Oops.... carry on.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:42:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bones21:
I've been thinking about buying some of the NATO 9mm from ammoman, but I'd like to know what it is classified as ?

Is it just a little hotter than standard loads, or is it genuine " +P " ammo.

I e-mailed eric about it a while back with no response.

Does anyone know to what specs. the NATO 9mm is loaded to ?

I was thinking just +P.... any ideas ?

Widely variable...

Some 'NATO' 9mm is European ammo that is designed/loaded VERY hot for use in SMGs...

Ex some Hirtenberger 'NATO' (sp?) ammo that was for sale a while ago was causing pressure issues in pistols, because the maker had designed the load for SMG use...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:10:08 PM EDT
Thanks for the information. I can understand the variances in NATO loads because
of different countries, etc...

This is the information given on ammoman's website....

2003 PRODUCTION AND NATO HEADSTAMP

UNITED STATES MILITARY AMMO
U.S.G.I. 9MM 124 GRAIN.
PACKED IN BRAND NEW MILITARY AMMO CANS
50 ROUNDS PER BOX
1000 ROUNDS PER CAN
BRAND NEW AMMO

I'd like ammo that is just a tad, and I really mean just a tad, bit hotter than WWB.

I love the 9mm cartridge and was just wondering if the NATO stuff would put too
wear and tear on my guns

I know my guns are designed for HOTT loads, but I'd rather not use them if at all possible.

Thanks for chiming in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:49:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 2:52:26 AM EDT by metroplex]
NATO 124 gr FMJ is loaded to 31,000 - 36,000 psi chamber pressure. It's designated M882. There are also 115 gr FMJ NATO loads available. I've read somewhere that some NATO 9mm loads go as high as 38,000 psi but it's not an average mean chamber pressure, it's just an individual pressure (for one or more test cartridges). It's not consistent enough, IMHO, to be labeled +P.

SAAMI spec for 9mm Luger is 35,000 psi and 38,500 psi for +P.
It'd be safe to say M882 is just 9mm Luger (non +P).

SAAMI Specs

Why are you wasting your money with this stuff? Eric wants $0.17/rd - it's too expensive for plinking and in a SHTF scenario, all it will do on a zombie is punch 0.35" holes and make it hard to hit a component of the CNS.

Want to waterproof your ammo? use nailpolish on the bullet neck and primer area. I've tried it in my Glock w/o any light primer strikes even with a layer of nail polish over the primer. Nail polish is easily removed using gun cleaning products, heat, and combustion (normal firing).
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:17:42 PM EDT
I bought an ammo can of Hirtenberger L7A1, and should have researched it on the internet first. It is some hot stuff.
Only fired a few rounds. The slide goes back into battery so fast that it skips the next round in the magazine completely... Wish I had a 9mm carbine to shoot it up in. Some guy claimed that it is going around 1500 fps. I don't doubt it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:49:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By andrew:
I bought an ammo can of Hirtenberger L7A1, and should have researched it on the internet first. It is some hot stuff.
Only fired a few rounds. The slide goes back into battery so fast that it skips the next round in the magazine completely... Wish I had a 9mm carbine to shoot it up in. Some guy claimed that it is going around 1500 fps. I don't doubt it.

The stuff works fine in glocks.
Top Top