Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2003 2:21:54 AM EDT
I am looking into a small light easy cary for hikeing.  I was originally looking into a stinger pen gun because of the flare atachment.  However I also looked into one of the mini revolvers in 22lr.  What it will be used for is mostly 22 lr shot shells for spiders or any thing else that freaks me out.  If you have either voice your opinion.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#1]
They kick more than you might think.

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#2]
SL,

Yes, they are small and lightweight.  Too small for any precison shooting.  Great for inclose BIG targets and slow to operate due to their small size.  I have one and it is my always gun for the very same reason.  IE small enough to always be with you.

I would however suggest maybe the Beretta 21 or Taurus copy.  Would also suggest either a Taurus or Smith and Wesson J frame in said caliber for your requirements.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Its a toy, a fun one to shoot though, you can get NAA revolvers with slightly bigger grips and longer barrels, that might suit you better.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#4]
My vote: Toy.

I'd chose a good knife over carrying one of those things almost anyday.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I HAD one once.
Couldn't hit nothing with it and the one finger grip wants to jump from your hand.
Besides being awkward to reload.
Opt for the little Beretta or Taurus but remember, they will be a single shot with shotshells. Or fill the mag and hand chamber them as needed.
I even have a Jennings that works, but I won't tell anyone to buy one of those.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Small compact, "safe" when stored loaded, "dangerous" when cocked.

I'm a fan of them and have trained and equipped both my nieces with them as they'll beat a knife or a rock any day. And both know that  the first time ya see it in their hand, it'll be the last surprise of your life.

BTW as to kick, while one niece is petite, the other 6' amazon, neither had problem handling or abtaining deadly hits at 3 yards and both are using the 22 MAG versions w/ heavy min-mag loads 50 grn. IIRC.

YMMV,
Mike
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#7]
You're pretty fortunate to have nieces like that!  (I wish mine had their good sense to arm themselves with something more than a cell phone).  But if they can handle these little guns - they'd definitely benefit from something superior to what's basically a derringer that's only good for head shots at close range (.22 rimfires are basically high speed ice picks).

I'd get them some Kel-Tec P32's.  Let’s look at the differences:

NAA-22Magnum –
Weight: 6.2 oz.
Length: 5.25”
Bbl: 1.625”
Height: 2.775”
Width: .775”
Cylinder Capacity: Five .22 Magnum Rimfire
Action: Single Action Revolver
List: $205
Good ammo choices: ???

Kel-Tec P32 –
Weight: 6.6 oz
Length: 5.07"
Bbl: 2.7”
Height: 3.5"
Width: 0.75"
Magazine Capacity: Eight .32ACP
Action: Locked Breech, DAO Semi-Auto
List: $209.00
Good ammo choices: Winchester Silvertip 60gr. @ 970 fps, Magsafe Defender 50gr. @ 1250 fps

Concealability-wise, the nod (barely) goes to NAA, but defensively speaking the Kel-Tec is a far better choice (and yes, the pink frames are an option!).
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought NAA was making a .17wmr lil sucker now too...I wonder about that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Step up a notch.  A small notch that is.  Try out one of the NAA Black Widow .22 mag revolvers.  The oversize grips and good sights are an excellent upgrade over their standard models.

We had a mousegun side shoot at an IPSC match a couple of years ago.  My black widow shot ringgs around seecamps, kel-tecs, and every other pocket pistol you can name.  A zone shots at 10-15 feet are not difficult at all with a little practice.

The .22 Mag is loaded pretty hot with speciality bullets that are not to be sneezed at.  I'd put them up against any .25 ACP and most .32 ACP rounds.

I now own two of them.  Wife carries one in her purse.  I like mine in the summer when I am running around in shorts and a tee shirt. Tough to do with a 1911.

I do not advocate a .22 in lieu of a good major caliber for self defense, but for a true "pocket pistol" the NAA Black Widow fills a nitch.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one of the 1.6" barreled .22 mag. that folds into it`s handle.
The handle clips to your belt.

Very accessable, and at first glance looks like a pager or cell phone.

Can`t hit much from any distance, but as Mr. Wilson says, it is much better up close and personal than a knife.

The folding handle is much larger than the others, gives you a good firm grip.

LOUD as hell though!

I really like it for a better than nothing type of last resort.

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I own one. I chose the one with the black plastic folding grip that doubles as a pocket clip for carry.

Recoil is minimal & as mentioned reloading is not quick.

But I can carry it when I'm wearing minimal clothing (beach) & no one sees it. A .22mag is nothing to sneeze at at close range.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Admittedly it's bigger than what you are looking for, but I have a Ruger Mk. II (a target model, actually) for the same purpose.   It's definately bigger and heavier BUT it's very accurate, carries a reasonable amount of ammo, quiet, reliable, and on and on.   It is one of the two guns I own that I will *never* sell (the other being the .22 rifle my father got as a kid in 1940).
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:56:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You're pretty fortunate to have nieces like that!  (I wish mine had their good sense to arm themselves with something more than a cell phone).  But if they can handle these little guns - they'd definitely benefit from something superior to what's basically a derringer that's only good for head shots at close range (.22 rimfires are basically high speed ice picks).

I'd get them some Kel-Tec P32's.  Let’s look at the differences:

[Concealability-wise, the nod (barely) goes to NAA, but defensively speaking the Kel-Tec is a far better choice (and yes, the pink frames are an option!).

While you are probably correct Dol, this was graduation gift for the petite one and something that had been collecting dust in the gunsafe. As she was going back to get her Master's, my primary concern was the junk females carry in their purses and SAFETY, (of course the fact that I only had about $125 in the NAA, probably had some weight too).

When loaded and properly indexed, the little revolvers are one of the SAFEST pistols around. They absolutely cannot AD/ND. Semi-autos (and I own a Kel-Tec P-11) are no comparison and require far more training to master than the little NAA revolvers. Ya then are forced to deal with the carry "one in the chamber" or rely on the "Israeli" technique of jacking a round in when ya need it, (which I am not a fan of) all of which requires training whichever way you decide and I opted to avoid these issues and chose the "KISS" principal. Size is also a consideration as the mini-revolvers can be concealed in the palm of one's hand, and in any one of the zillion side pockets and compartments found in a ladies purse.

Reloading is NOT a consideration, for the most part as these revolvers are in "last resort" category and up close and personal the 22 mag is nuthin to sneeze at, the girls were informed of all of this. They were also informed of the "surprise" factor, and instructed to let no-one outside the family know that they in fact carry. This includes boy-friends, preventing them from possibly becoming a robbery victim and again for SAFETY, as once "cocked" the mini's go from being very safe to "very dangerous" due to their design.

Lesson for others: Never make a gift of something along these lines to a niece or nephew, when you have other nieces/nephews not yet graduated, as this has already cost me an additional NAA and will end up costing me at least two more, and the nephews, (who got cash) are beginning to whine about preferential treatment to the girls....., not too smart on my part, I should of told 'em not to tell their brothers or cousins, 'cuss this might get expensive before I'm done.

In closing and in addition to the items mentioned above, there's the "cool" factor of a semi-auto, I felt might hasten their proclivity to pull the firearm out of their purses and show it around, they may do this anyway w/ the mini's, but I did elicit promises from them not to; as NOT talking about what one carries adds an added measure of shock when taking the "surprise factor" into consideration.

FWIW, both of the parents of both girls were spoken to prior to these gifts being given, and as my sisters were, as I, raised w/ guns around the house and both brother-in-laws hunt, there was no problem and the gifts we're appreciated. I would NOT suggest a gift such as this, without exercising this courtesy should those reading here decide to do the same, as some families have decidedly different opinions about young adults w/ firearms. And never allow possession of the firearm to take place without "training" PRIOR to turning 'em loose, be smart, be safe and teach them to think the same way.

Mike    
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
and the nephews, (who got cash) are beginning to whine about preferential treatment to the girls....., Mike    

I'd tell 'em when they grow boobs & have to worry about getting molested/raped then you'll get them one too.      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top