Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/13/2002 7:07:09 PM EDT
Ok,try not to flame me damn it.

I have found a really really good deal on a very good looking 1911.
It seems to be well made and will except all aftermarket goodies.

The gun is made by an armory named Rock Island Amrory.
The only info I can find on them is that they made Garands and M1 carbins in WW2 be so did everybody eles so does that mean anything?

If any of you guys have seem,had or know anything about Rock Island Armory 1911s let me know.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:43:34 PM EDT
Rock Island 45

I think I read that these are made overseas..
I want to say the Philippines but can't recall where exactly. (maybe I'm confusing these with Charles Daly(?))
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 8:01:09 PM EDT
I don't think that's the same outfit that made USGI guns...

I have heard that they are a good start pistol for customizing, but not anything special to begin with...

Have you handled one? How tight is the slide?
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 11:38:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bign:
I don't think that's the same outfit that made USGI guns...

I have heard that they are a good start pistol for customizing, but not anything special to begin with...

Have you handled one? How tight is the slide?

As tight as my CCW Colt but I don't know if it was ever fired.
I have had a gun go soft after 50 or 60 rounds so I would like to hear from somebody that has shot one if there is one around.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 12:52:48 PM EDT
These have been around long enough for any problems to surface.

Word is they are good solid guns. If I ever see a Gov't model I am picking it up just on general principles.

I've examined the Officer's and the wide-body models at a show. The important parts look good.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:43:16 PM EDT
I've been looking at these myself. The Dealer Warehouse advertises the basic GI pistol for $315 in Shotgun News. The compact is listed at $335. I see the website listed above shows a price increase.
Link Posted: 11/29/2002 9:05:16 PM EDT
Hay C, the Rock island would be a good entry level plinker. Their metal quality seems to run form good to bad. It seems like some of the holes arn not located exact and if your building one up that means more fitting of the parts.
So if you think you might want to really shot the hound out of it or build one up get a better platform.
If your just wnating a mil spec shooter look arround for a Norinco. They are more mil spec than Clt is. They got chrome lined bbls. The only ones I know of that has/ They can be had for $350-450. And I've shot several and they shoot very accurate and are top reliabille.
the Norinco is one of the best box stock shooting 1911s you can buy. You may have to look arround for one, the guys that got em know they got a good pistol so you don't see alot of them for sale.
Also I got a Colt Government SS 1991A1 for $475 back in the spring. About 4500 rnds and going great.
Top Top