Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/10/2003 9:36:15 AM EDT
I just picked up my new S&W 1911 the other day. I took it to the range yesterday and put 256 rnds through it. While shooting I had no malfs, but about 65-70% of the time when I would hit the slide release to load a round the round would go about 3/4 of the way in and the slide would stop. Needless to say I was not happy with that at all. After getting home I called S&W and talked to them. I was told that I should put at least 1000 rnds through the pistol to break it in. He said that he would be happy to take it back and check it for me at any time however. I am going to go back to the range and put another 250+ through it this Friday if the weather permits. I'll let you all know. I was very happy with the accurancy 1 1/2 inch at 20 yards with UMC ammo and it was hitting right at POA which is always good. I'm trying to become a 1911 fan but none of my 6 Glocks every did anything like that! I just figured that since I paid almost twice as much (Nightsites installed on 1911) for this then any of my Glocks, all with Nitesights, it should work as well or better then they do.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:06:51 PM EDT
Because you are fortunate enough to have other handguns, after the prescribed "break in", I would send it back if it still misfeeds.
1K rounds seems a bit much.
IMO, all the "break in" rounds can never recontour a feed ramp or "fix" another problem.
I would try some hollowpoints too, maybe even a box of +P to see how they feed.
I would be unhappy too.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:10:22 PM EDT
Why buy a 1911 from a "new" manufacturer. (In terms of 1911's). Kimber, Wilson, Springfield Armory.....

Have you heard about the new recall out on the S&W 1911's BTW?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:52:37 PM EDT
Ditto anothergene!! I'd be totally disappointed! At those prices, there should be no surprises whatsoever. I bought a Kimber TLE two months ago and not a single problem!

A 1000 rounds breakin seems excessive. I'd send it back now, or at least if you have the same problem on the next trip to the range!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:14:09 PM EDT
If you were shooting ball, I'd seriously consider just sending it right back. If you were shooting anything else, it may need work to the feed ramp to get it to load smoothly. Try ball before sending it back. Be sure to send the magazines back with it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:10:44 PM EDT
I had the very saome problem with a NIB Springfield Mil-Spec.

Solution: LUBE THE GUN. A couple squirts of breakfree cured it in an instant.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 10:11:43 PM EDT
I would just send it back, Tell them you want a Colt or a Kimber.

Kimber Recommends a 500 round break in period,
I have never read anything about what Colt calls a break in period.

My Kimber and My Colt have been Flawless out of the box
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 3:48:15 AM EDT
Here are a couple of things to look for.

I don't know if the S&W has a ramped barrel or if the feed ram is in the frame. If it is in the frame see if it is slick. If it isn't then use a dremill and a buffing pad with jewlers rouge. NO STONES! and buff it up slick.

Look at the part of the slide lock that sticks through the frame. Do you see copper on it? Try some better mags.

This sounds like a mag prob. You might want to pick up a Wilson.

Good luck
Ron
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:06:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2003 4:09:55 AM EDT by dbshabo]
I bought a S&W1911 a month ago. I've been to the range with it twice now with about 400 rounds thru it. I put 100 rounds of UMC thru it last weekend and had the exact same thing happen that you describe. Out of the 100 rounds of UMC I'd guess that ~10 did the partial chambering trick.
I have had 0 problems with Winchester White Box or Federal Am Eagle, both 230g ball ammo. The Federal was by far the least accurate. I haven't tried any hollow points as of yet, that's this weekend.

Did you clean the gun before shooting it? I've been told 1911's like a generous lube on the slide rails as dukeofurl said. I've also read that mags can be a source of problems. The two Wilson's I got with the gun seem to function as advertised.

I love this gun! I can shoot this thing more accurately than any other auto handgun I've shot. For the price I am absolutely satisfied with this pistol. She's got a permanent spot in my safe.

What new recall are you refering to THellURider?
You're not refering to the recall for the firing pin safety plunger are you? That is old news and only applies to guns with serial # 0000 - 4750. They have remedied the slight problem on guns manufactured after these #'s.

Send it back if you need to. Once you get it running right I think you'll become a 1911 fan. Try different ammo for sure. Good luck.

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:17:54 AM EDT
The problem only happens when you drop the slide on a loaded mag?

As FreeAmerican pointed out, that sounds like a mag problem. You might also want to make sure that you aren't letting your thumb impede the travel of the slide, by letting it drag along the slide. Does the problem happen with both mags that came with the gun, and have you tried any other mags?

My SW1911 came with Wilson 47D mags, which are some of the best on the marklet. I had heard that they had switched to a different magazine as standard.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:50:03 AM EDT
Well I just put another 150rnds through the pistol. I am happy to say "no problems!!" After the trip to the range I took it apart again and cleaned it real well with Breakfree. When I put it back together again I used Rem oil for a lube. I shot another 100 rnds of 230 grain UMC, 25 of Rem. 230 GS and 25 of Fed 230 hydro shok. Once again right to POA and 1 to 2 1/4 inches at 20 yards. Thanks for all your input and comments. Will see what happens next. Hopefully it will run like a Glock!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 10:45:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Peter556:
Well I just put another 150rnds through the pistol. I am happy to say "no problems!!" After the trip to the range I took it apart again and cleaned it real well with Breakfree. When I put it back together again I used Rem oil for a lube. I shot another 100 rnds of 230 grain UMC, 25 of Rem. 230 GS and 25 of Fed 230 hydro shok. Once again right to POA and 1 to 2 1/4 inches at 20 yards. Thanks for all your input and comments. Will see what happens next. Hopefully it will run like a Glock!

Glad to hear it. I was going to say, I'd bet you 10 to 1 that the extractor is a tad tight, and to shoot it some more and see if it didnt straighten out. You should be fine now though if it seems to be running ok. What happens is, when the extractor is too tight, as the round tries to feed from the mag, and slide underneath the extractor, it gets hung up if the extractor is too tight. If its not that bad, as yours seemed to be, it will loosen up with some shooting.
However, PLEASE, pray it doesnt run like a Glock.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:40:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hawkeye:

Originally Posted By Peter556:

Glad to hear it. I was going to say, I'd bet you 10 to 1 that the extractor is a tad tight, and to shoot it some more and see if it didnt straighten out. You should be fine now though if it seems to be running ok. What happens is, when the extractor is too tight, as the round tries to feed from the mag, and slide underneath the extractor, it gets hung up if the extractor is too tight. If its not that bad, as yours seemed to be, it will loosen up with some shooting.
However, PLEASE, pray it doesnt run like a Glock.

The SW1911 has an external extractor, so this is likely not the problem. I make it a point to disassemble and clean every new gun I buy before shooting it. My SW1911 runs great.
Top Top