Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2008 1:18:27 AM EDT
A friend of mine owns a gun store and a couple years ago he started to carry Wilson 1911's and in the last year he has had a few Nighthawks ranging from a T3, Talon and GRP.  I had shot a CQB several years ago before a different friend relocated with his job, and I liked it.  

Now, I have had a few 1911's through the years but nothing higher than a Springfield TRP.  There was nothing wrong with the TRP but I just could not warm up to it and I really did not like the ambi-safety.  About a month and half ago I took a Les Baer Concept gun in trade but it was Commander length and I could not warm up to it either except that it was accurate.

About a month ago I got tired of fondling the CQB, GRP, and Talon.  I finally decided to make an offer to my friend and we made some medicine.  I really like the CQB except it had an ambi-safety and I had shot one before.  Now the Nighthawks, I knew some of the guys used to work for Wilson.  The more I read the more I felt comfortable with them.  I really liked the Talon because it had the single thumb safety, blended magwell (never knew how much they really aided in reloads until I had the TRP), the checkering on the front grip is perfect, the checkered rear slide, the top of the slide grooved for glare, night sights, etc just really appealed to me.  Holding the Talon was great––so that is the one I wanted.

I am sure many of you have read the stories about Nighthawk and a Nighthawk pistol owner having issues on this board.  That kind of concerned me, but the pistol felt right.  I figured if there is a problem I would see how the CS is there but after today I don't see any need for CS.  

Anyway, I got a chance to hit the range today.  I took 300 rds of 230 gr ball, 50 rds of my hand loaded 200 gr swc, and 50 rds of Federal 230 gr Hydra Shok.  The ball was Aquila and Speer Brass.  The mags I took with me were the supplied NH (ACT looking), Wilson 47D, Tripp Cobra mag, Several Kimpro mags, a Chip McCormick, and a GI.  I was really not shooting for accuracy because the indoor range has cool air being circulated in and I was kind of shaking and the targets I had were black silhouette style.  Well I ended up firing all my Aquila up without any problems and great accuracy for the conditions I was shooting in.  Then I switched to the Speer Blazer Brass and had a few failures to chambers––I figured it was the brass or bullet being a little big or something.  I ended up stripping the pistol and cleaned it, lubed it and reshot it––this time only 1 failed to go into battery out of 75 or so rds and that bullet looks larger than the other bullets.  I next loaded my LSWC loads and fired all 50 of those without a hitch and then shot the Hydra Shok without a hitch.  I figure another range session of breaking in, getting to know it and such then I will be getting some leather to carry it in.  Now you know the funny part with the mags––they all worked and held the slide back except the Tripp Cobra mag.  I have heard and read where they Cobra mag is supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread but I was more impressed with the Kimpro mags––and I have had nothing but good luck with them in several different 1911 pistols.

I used to wonder what I would get for twice to three times the money of a standard 1911.  Now I know, I get the custom features I want, accuracy, great trigger, hand fitted parts, better quality parts, and the feeling that someone knew what they were doing when they put this pistol together.

Sorry for the long post, and I know––without pics it isn't real.  I will get pics tomorrow and post them up.

I wish everyone a Happy Holiday and enjoy your time with loved ones.

Pic addeed 12-25

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm more of a "Send it to Bob Miller" guy but it sounds like you got what you wanted. Congrats and don't forget the pics !
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Sumo, You made a great choice in a Nighthawk, I have Nighthawk Talon 2 bobtail & a Nighthawk Vickers and both are great  guns . The more you shoot it the better it`ll get.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice.

Some day I'd like to own a Nighthawk.

You'll need to post pics of yours though!
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm surprised to hear the Tripp Cobra mag was causing issues.  Just goes to show you not all 1911s act the same with different mags.  How much use has the Cobra mag had.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I got some pics of it posted now.  Sorry for the bad pics but I am just learning to use a digital camera and I took them in the house with regular lighting.  I will be trying the light box method next time.

Yes, the mag did not hold the slide open any of the three times I tried it.  I will try it in my wifes Kimber Eclipse when she is with me––I dare not take her pistols or rifles without permission
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top