Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2008 3:59:27 PM EDT
Charter Arms Undercover in 38SPL.

I like it, light and easy to conceal. it might just be a summer CCW if the range visit goes well.

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice pistol.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice. I am partial to snubby 38 and 357 revolvers as well. I recently traded a S&W 38 snubby for a 3" Model 60 in 357 mag, with HiViz sights. Now, start saving your money and get one of these when they come out, it's probably the best thing that happened to snubnose revolvers:

Crimson Trace Laser Grips for Charter Arms Revolver

The snubbies have very short sight radius. However even with the short barrel they are fairly accurate... as long as you can point the darned thing. The laser grips help there, and also help in rapid target acquision at short ranges (daylight) and indoors/at night.

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Did not see a price for the laser grips, what is the going rate?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Good find....The only things I would do would be Bobb the Hammer
and adding Crimson trace grips
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
For a price on the laser grips, Contact Crimson Trace directly and ask. It is a new product, may not have been released to dealers yet, that's why the price was not on the website. It will probably be about the same price as their offering for the comparable S&W. FYI CTC has good customer service IMHO.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I could not hit the paper, from ten feet. I was shooting way high. What am i doing wrong?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
The short sight base of the snubnose revolver makes it very hard to aim. Also, the sights are fairly rudimentary. There is a groove on top of the top frame. You need to almost aim like you would a shotgun. Aim down the groove, along the top of the barrel, to control your elevation. Use your front sight blade to control your windage. Be patient. You'll catch on.

You should use a full-size silhouette target when you first start this. Don't use one of the small targets. Also, I seem to do better at 15 feet than at 10 using the iron sights on the snubby.

That, by the way, is one of the best reasons to put a laser on the snubby. It gets MUCH easier to point the gun, and practice "point and shoot" at short ranges once you have installed and zeroed the laser grip...

THere is also a good thread to read here: Snubnose shooting tips

However, disregard the piece on sight picture. The Colt snubby had regular sights. The sights you have are the old police type sights. You have to aiim down the groove and along the top of the barrel LIKE A SHOTGUN. A very, very, very short shotgun

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok i cant look down the groove because the hammer is in the way??  
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#9]
You could shoot it single action.

Or you could try "staging" your DA pull.
Squeeze the trigger about halfway, Hammer should be far enough back to see the sight groove.

The real solution (as mentioned) is to bob the hammer.
Especially if you end up using this as a ccw.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You could shoot it single action.

Or you could try "staging" your DA pull.
Squeeze the trigger about halfway, Hammer should be far enough back to see the sight groove.

The real solution (as mentioned) is to bob the hammer.
Especially if you end up using this as a ccw.

+1

For now, the way to practice is single action (SA).

To do this, use your thumb to cock the hamner all the way back. SA shooting makes accurate shooting much easier, because the long trigger travel needed for double action (DA) shooting gets MUCH shorter, and the trigger pull needed to "break" becomes much, much lighter. This allows MUCH more accurate shooting to be done.

So, for now, JUST SHOOT SA until you get the hang of snubby shooting.

By a "bobbed hammer" a good gunsmith should be able to cut back the cocking spur on the pistol. This can usually be done while still allowing you to thumb back the hammer for SA shooting. (I would avoid cutting the spur off completely, although some will claim that snubbies are only good for DA shooting only. IMHO that's nonsense. However a "bob" of the trigger spur will shorten the spur somewhat, say about 50%. This will not only allow you to see the groove from a DA point of view, but it will also reduce the amount of "snagging" the sharp hammer spur has if you are carrying the revolver in a concealed location (say, under your belt or in your pocket). Although, the stock grip you have is way too large for concealed carry in your pants pocket IMHO.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I could not hit the paper, from ten feet. I was shooting way high. What am i doing wrong?

The hammer spur on that gun is poorly designed and is too high. The other thing I see is that the grips on the gun appear to force your hand to sit too high on the gun. I would start by having the hammer spur cut down or removed and changing the grips.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Just gotta stick it in the gut and pull the trigger.. No missing there..
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just gotta stick it in the gut and pull the trigger.. No missing there..

Correctamundo.

That's all I got to say about that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot 20 rounds at work today in SA and was able to keep a 10 inch group at about 20 feet. I will keep working at it.

I also shot my bosses Taurus 44mag with the 8'' barrel. That thing was sweet!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The hammer spur on that gun is poorly designed and is too high. The other thing I see is that the grips on the gun appear to force your hand to sit too high on the gun. I would start by having the hammer spur cut down or removed and changing the grips.

+1 on grips. Many people like big grips on little snubbies. I find the compact grips are best for me. Someday soon, hopefully, Crimson Trace will start selling the laser grips for your Taurus. I own S&W Model 60s. This is my favorite CTC grip for the snubby:

Crimson Trace Laser Grip for Snubby

Hopefully CTC will introduce a similar product for the Taurus...

In the meantime, you may want to try some different grips for the Taurus. You may find you will shoot better with a smaller and more compact grip? It will certainly be easier to conceal. A snubby is primarily meant as a BUG and BUGs with large hand grips often can't be concealed, or drawn, easily... Plus, it may be affecting your shooting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top