Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2010 10:07:26 PM EDT
After a lot of research and a forum post, I decided on a STI Spartan for my first 1911. It finally arrived. So far I like it.

My Review
Even having Armscor parts in it (not really a big deal IMHO) its fit is great. The finish is darkish grey-black and the quality is so-so, seems like the park is gonna wear off quicker than I hoped (adds character ). The grips are excellent, not sure what kind of wood they are. Chrome plated? barrel, finely polished ramp, lowered flared ejection port, and fitted bushing (requires wrench), and match grade trigger (explained below) are just a few things that you don't expect in a halfway budget priced gun. The thumb safety has a real positive feel (very smooth also). NO PLAY BETWEEN SLIDE AND FRAME PERIOD. Smooth trigger with ZERO overtravel, oh and did I mention it is adjustable for travel as well? Hammer is made out of some sort of tool steel and it isnt large enough to be in the way. The gun is extremely well balanced I think, it has just enough weight on the front to make it pointable but not so much its unweildy. The sights on it are excellent, the rear sight notch is large for quick aquisition of the front post (orangish fiber optic) which seems a little oversized.

What I don't like about it; the finish isn't the best (character marks ftw). The maingspring housing is polymer (no issue...I just like metal better). The magazine release button should stick out more/ be extended because it feels too small IMO. The forward serrations on the slide really aren't my cup o' tea. Lastly, the FLGR is not something I am fond of for one reason only (as dumb as this may be); it doesn't allow you to cock the weapon on your boot,table,counter, any hard surface or whatever should the occasion arise. Problem solved easily though, I ordered a nice stainless plug with an EGA (Semper Fi!) and a GI guide rod from Fusion (+1 for parts and shipping) which is the only thing I have done to it so far.

Overall I am satisfied with it. Time to shoot it. (Haven't had time )

Obligatory pictures; They are from my cellphone, my camera has been KIA, sorry about the quality. The discolorations on the finish in pic 1 are just some leftover smudges of oil after cleaning. You can't see the rod in the front sight because of the lighting, but if you were to aim it...you could

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations!  Thanks for the write-up too.  

Next...range report!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:17:56 AM EDT
[#2]
replace the mainspring housing with an S&A magwell.  

mag release can be changed out in about 10 seconds.

forward cocking serrations are popular in IPSC for two reasons,

when the range officer says "IF YOU ARE FINISHED UNLOAD AND SHOW CLEAR"
It's easy to reach underneath the dust cover and pull the slide back, this allows the R.O. to witness the round ejecting, and see the empty chamber.

It's also good for clearing jams, because YOU can see what's going on....

when the finish wears off,  hand checker the front strap and send it to METALIFE

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Next...range report!

WIll do.

Quoted:

forward cocking serrations are popular in IPSC for two reasons,

when the range officer says "IF YOU ARE FINISHED UNLOAD AND SHOW CLEAR"
It's easy to reach underneath the dust cover and pull the slide back, this allows the R.O. to witness the round ejecting, and see the empty chamber.

It's also good for clearing jams, because YOU can see what's going on....

when the finish wears off,  hand checker the front strap and send it to METALIFE

Good tip. I'm going to start practicing clearing like that. My next comp is on the 11th........so.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Took it out in the backyard yesterday and shot two 5 round groups out of it. At 15yds I was getting 2-2.5in groups with it with a few bullet holes touching. It shoots about 3in. to the left and 1in. low consistently so it does need to be sighted in. It is one of the more accurate pistols I have shot, so I'm pleased.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice gun!

Low & left could be you & the trigger.   Go shoot it some more.

Not a real fan of clearing & showing empty like that.  Just me but I never liked having my hand that close to the muzzle & I hate to say it for fear of sounding like a dork but the tap rack bang method for clearing a jam is preferred...by me anyway.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It was shooting the exact same for my padre. I think it might be the sights (they are adjustable). I bet a few clicks on the windage screw and some time behind it will fix it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:08:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was shooting the exact same for my padre. I think it might be the sights (they are adjustable). I bet a few clicks on the windage screw and some time behind it will fix it.

Is your dad also a novice shooter?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:11:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is your dad also a novice shooter?

No.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#10]
sometimes the zero can change on a tight fitted 1911 when it's new.

zero it in, and shoot the hell out of it.

break it in.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
sometimes the zero can change on a tight fitted 1911 when it's new.

zero it in, and shoot the hell out of it.

break it in.

No complaints here
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:36:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Try both ways of checking for empty & clearing a gun.   That guy puts about 2 million more rounds downrange each year than anyone here.  

I'm still sticking to my opinion.  You can fiddle around with the end of the gun & you can clear a jam depending on what it is,  But you WILL clear it & make it functional the other way.

But i'm old, stuck in my ways & probably don't know anything.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:38:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll keep my hand to the rear of the gun and clear of the ejection port.

Search BE for pics of what can happen if you hand is near the ejection port at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Took it to the range today to zero it in. Zeroed it off of some bags and it makes bullet holes touch every time at 25yds. After zeroing it, ran about 100 rounds through it with only 2 hiccups with JHP's. The accuracy definitely makes up for the price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top