Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 10:19:20 PM EDT
My father is a retired Capt from the California Highway Patrol and he was just robbed. ( Damm Bastards!)  Any ways his S&W 38spl he carries as a CW was taken along with his badge and retired ID.   My first memories of my dad all ways involve him carrying a gun and now he says he might not replace it due to finances,  
 Well I'm getting layed off next month and money is tight for me too but I cant stand the thought of my dad on one of his long motorcycle rides (his love since retirement) with out a weapon, so I decided I'm going to buy him a new gun.  (dont let my wife hear this!)  But honestly I cant afford a new S&W or a new Colt so I'm looking at the Taurus model 85SSUL  , It looks alot like his old one, and it looks like a pretty nice little revolver, 38SPL five round stainless ULTRALITE , about 17oz

Ok now for my question , any one know anything about this gun, as far as is it reliable ? and are there any other suggestions on different brands or models that I should consider? and remember I'm on a soon to be unemployed budget.     locally the Taurus runs 350 plus alot of CALI fees.

I would appreciate any suggestions or advise you might have.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I am sorry to hear that man. Go spend some money and get your father a 4" S&W 686, perhaps some Surplus Police issue. You can get them for pretty cheap nowadays and AIM surplus has a GOOD deal on them last time I checked.

The CHP will not let the robbery of a former captain go down without an arrest (or two..or three).

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
nothing wrong with the taurus.  Nothing wrong with buying a used gun in good condition either.  It's the thought that counts and it's obvious your dad will appreciate it.

CDNN (www.cdnninvestments.com) has some S&W M64 2" 38spl (6shot) revolvers in stainless finish.  They're old guns from the CDC but supposedly in great shape.  I've bought from CDNN before and i can vouch that if they say very good to excellent condition they mean it.  They're blowing them out for $249.  Even after shipping and CA bullshit it should still be cheaper than the taurus and will be a gun you dad finds very familiar.  Tell your local FFL the situation and maybe he'll cut you a break on the transfer fees.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
CDNN had S&W 64 w/ 2" barrels for $250.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My father is a retired Capt from the California Highway Patrol and he was just robbed. ( Damm Bastards!)  Any ways his S&W 38spl he carries as a CW was taken along with his badge and retired ID.    

To clairify... was your dad "robbed" or was he the victim of a theft?

"Robbed" usually implies that he was relived of his valuables under threat of violence.. Like a mugging or the ol' fashioned stick up...

I suspect his stuff was stolen as I can't imagine a retired cop with a CW would let someone rob him
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My father is a retired Capt from the California Highway Patrol and he was just robbed. ( Damm Bastards!)  Any ways his S&W 38spl he carries as a CW was taken along with his badge and retired ID.    

To clairify... was your dad "robbed" or was he the victim of a theft?

"Robbed" usually implies that he was relived of his valuables under threat of violence.. Like a mugging or the ol' fashioned stick up...

I suspect his stuff was stolen as I can't imagine a retired cop with a CW would let someone rob him

Beat me to it.  I am guessing his home was Burglarized but he could have been Robbed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#6]
OK first to clarify,  no he wans't held up and there was no sighns of forced entry to his home due to the fact that his house has a revolving door to his step kids and their adult children,  and I hate to say it but  alot of their friends look like people I have seen on the local Post Office wall of fame if you know what I mean.

So we suspect it was an inside job.  And after hearing my dad complain about the local PD for years we were both supprised to hear that they (the police dept)were actually going to try to investigate it rather than just take a report. ,   as it turns out,  three people who have been known to be in my dads house are on parole! so the PD is going to search their houses .  Well at least they say they are.

My dad said he heard (through a PD friend) that the PD capt told his officers we owe this to him and we need to try to get his stuff back since he knew my dad had been the area's CHP captain for years and had allways had a very good working relationship with all of the local LE agencies.,
 Well we'll see what happens, but in the mean time I need to get him a gun.
oh and he allready has two 4" 38's that are now in my gun safe and he says their too big to cary,  he wheres a manly fanny pack( well he says its manly) and he carries the gun in that so he wants something very light.  

Like I said he does have two  38's, one a stainless CHP issued model 67 (CHP stamped)and a blued" S&W model 10-5? and he says he might trade or sale the model 10 to help replace his compact. I will place a post with a photo to see if its worth any thing??
and heres a picture of the CHP one just for fun.

And yes, he should have known better, and now he does.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/brianm767/IMGP6494.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/brianm767/IMGP6523.jpg
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Taurus is crap. You ought to be able to find a used snub 38spl S&W or Colt somewhere in CA for $300 or under.

Here's a couple used Smiths located in CA on Gun Broker:
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36414418
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36434541
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36569045
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36356886
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I am sure you can find a used Colt or S&W for a couple hundred bucks in your area. I have bought several lately and all were well under 300 bucks, both were Colts and both were in very good to excellent condition. One LW agent and one dick special, both 2" BBls. Insides were perfect and timed nicely.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#9]
the M64 on CDNN would be perfect for him.  It's basically the mini version of his servece revolver.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I wen t looking for a gun today, used is fine with us.  the only thing I found was a S&W model ?it was a 2' stainless five shot looked pretty good and they wanted $350 but it's heavyer then my dad wants,  his gun that got stolen was  I think an airwieght model? or what ever smiths are and it was very old so Im not sure what model it was,  well Im going to keep looking ,  Hopefully a used model 637 or an older equivelant will come along , if not were getting a Taurus , I actually like my Taurus pt92 so I'm sure their revolver will do us just fine.  
I'll probably have better luck looking tomorrow (monday)
thanks and did I mention California sucks for buying guns?  the same guns here run about 100 bucks more then they do at Impact Guns in Utah where my daughter lives , and I'm not talking about high dollar guns either, a basic Taurus Millineum Pro there is about $280 and here its about $425
This place sucks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn   just  Damn    I just sold a Colt Trooper MK 111  for 300  had it listed in the EE!!  Sold it Friday!!!

Bet your dad would have loved to have it!!!

Just bad timeing I guess,hope you find a good one for your dad!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Just remember, the greatest gun in the world is the one you have in your hand when you need a gun.
I know you want to get him something nice to replace the one that was stolen, but he needs something like right now.

A little .380 or 32 acp or even a .22 now is better than nothing.
A 4" is a little large to carry concealed but if he has an old off duty holster he could esily carry one of the 4" revolvers under an untucked shirt.

Those little 5 shot S&W's are great (Model 36 or 60) but a compact Glock or something comparable is probably the best choice for long term.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]
You know I have tried to convince my dad to get an automatic , but he's old school and has always told me that when his life depends on it he knows a revolver will never jam or  fail to cycle.  And I can't argue with that.  
My son is now a sherriffs deputie and he turned 23 on Friday,  and he wont even look at revolver.  New school and old school in the same family.  personaly,  I like them all.
And I agree with sum-rifle ,  any thing is better than nothing, I have a compact .22 I'll give him untill we replace his gun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You know I have tried to convince my dad to get an automatic , but he's old school and has always told me that when his life depends on it he knows a revolver will never jam or  fail to cycle.

Well, neither will a glock.  As much of a glock mafia member a I am, i say go with what's familiar.  Your pops probably doesn't want to learn a whole new system at his age.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top