Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2010 1:27:05 PM EDT
It has been quite the experience for me in finding the right pistol to fit my needs.  My first carry pistol was the H&K P2000 SK and was a gift to myself after returning home from Iraq in 2006.  I carried this pistol for a few years but it did not work for me because I am left handed and when firing I would hold down the slide release lever with my left thumb when shooting which prevented the slide from locking back.  Also, I disliked the mag release due to my failure in manipulating the paddle design.  The H&K was traded to a co-worker a few months ago for a Sig P239 so I could try something different.  Both the H&K and Sig are excellent weapons but once again since I am left handed all the controls are on the opposite side.  Then I had an epiphany, why not try out the Glock design?  I have shot them before but have not considered owning one until recently.   You won't believe what I did next.

I visited my local gun shop and traded my used Sig P239 for a used Glock G23.  I can't believe I had not thought about the Glock design years ago as a left handed shooter.  No more decockers or safeties to fumble with which are on the "wrong" side of the weapon.  It feels great in my hand and the sights allow quick target alignment.  The magazine capacity increased from seven rounds to thirteen and the Glock is still lighter.  By the way, the G23 appears to be unfired, came with the origional box, paper work and three magazines.  It still had the factory copper grease and the barrel looks new.

With that being said, I do own a 1911 variant and appreciate the SA but this will be replaced with my new to me G23  

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Good choice.  I am not going to get into a platform war.  To each his own and the 23 is a fine choice.  But if you want to take your Glock to the next level...Boresight Solutions
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about something similar.
I have gone through about 10 carry options in 8 years. Most of the changes were made in the first 3 years.

Currently I carry the HK PSP, for a lefty that would be a great choice, no slide release, no lefty safety issue, and no lefty mag release issue.

But my uncle bequeathed his Glock 19 to me and I am seriously considering trying that out. Double the capacity of my H&K.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Hells yeah.  Glock 23 is my choice, too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was thinking about something similar.
I have gone through about 10 carry options in 8 years. Most of the changes were made in the first 3 years.

Currently I carry the HK PSP, for a lefty that would be a great choice, no slide release, no lefty safety issue, and no lefty mag release issue.

But my uncle bequeathed his Glock 19 to me and I am seriously considering trying that out. Double the capacity of my H&K.

I don't think you would go wrong with the G19.  But then again, go with what works for you.  I have an HS 2000 (pre Sringfield XD) in 9mm and I wouldn't feel outgunned with my 124 grain +P Hornandy hollow point rounds.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You are a wise man  
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I abide.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Glock for the win
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice weapon..... how do you CC in the summer?   I have a hard time with my small Keltec PF9.  I've started using a MAXPEDITION H-1 Waistpack,,, maybe I could get a bigger one and move up to a full size Glock.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I will be ordering a Galco Combat Master for my Glock.  Currently, I carry my 1911 in a Galco Avenger holster and where a shirt over my pants to hide my weapon.  Appropriate clothing is the key to hide and not print while carrying a firearm.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Glock 23 FTMFW.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Glock 23 FTMFW.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Your a smart man,it took me over twenty years and countless pistols before I found my perfect CCW in the G26.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#13]
nice choice... I carry a 19. Best all around pistol I have ever owned
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Like the OP I am also left handed (stupid left hand making things harder) I tried carrying my 1911 but after practicing with it i realized I wouldn't be able to work the thumb safety on it quick enough so I switched back to my G19.  Though latley I have been thinking about trading in my G19 for the 23 for that extra fire power
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#15]
if i have kids and they turn out left handed.

i guess i will start them out shooting right handed.

OP nice gun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Though latley I have been thinking about trading in my G19 for the 23 for that extra fire power

You know what the solution is...............GET BOTH!  That's what I did.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Though latley I have been thinking about trading in my G19 for the 23 for that extra fire power

You know what the solution is...............GET BOTH!  That's what I did.

Well my next firearm is probably going to be a Ruger LCR or some thing like it when my GF gets her CWL  but a 23 would be super nice and it will fit in my MTAC holster I just got today
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I went 92fsb, p228 9mm, P229 .357 SIG, P229 DAK .357, now Sig P220R carry elite
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I went 92fsb, p228 9mm, P229 .357 SIG, P229 DAK .357, now Sig P220R carry elite

Sig makes an excellent weapon!  

One of the hardest questions to answer concerning pistols is which one is the right one for me or my wife?  Sometimes it might just take a few to find the one that fits.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a wise man  

Same here.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I was happy with mine,but I had to trade it for a G17,much easier to shoot,cheaper to shoot ect.Maybe Arfcom has gotten to me,I don't know ,but If I'm going to carry a .40 it better be a 10mm.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was happy with mine,but I had to trade it for a G17,much easier to shoot,cheaper to shoot ect.Maybe Arfcom has gotten to me,I don't know ,but If I'm going to carry a .40 it better be a 10mm.

I understand where you are coming from.  My Sig P239 was chambered for .40 S&W and its magazine capacity was seven rounds.  I nearly doubled that with my Glock 23 with 13 rounds.  Actually, I would feel fine with a Glock 19 as well since it would suck to be shot with 124 grain hollow points.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#23]

At least with the 23 you can shoot 4 calibers (9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, and .22lr) by switching parts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a wise man  

Same here.

http://a.imageshack.us/img839/3823/1001099v.jpg

What the hell is that thing on your magazine bottom plate!?!??

Remove it immediately.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are a wise man  

Same here.

http://a.imageshack.us/img839/3823/1001099v.jpg

What the hell is that thing on your magazine bottom plate!?!??

Remove it immediately.

lol I love my speedplates. But the next six magazines I pick up won't have them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q427/Old18C/Toys/23KITw9can.jpg

At least with the 23 you can shoot 4 calibers (9mm, .40 S&W, .357 Sig, and .22lr) by switching parts.

How do you get the Sig barrel to run in that Glock?
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#27]
.357 and .40 Barrels dimensionally are the same except for chamber and bore.  The mags between the G32 and G23 are the same although the followers are sometimes different they will function just fine between each other.  

I run a G32 personally and I love it and I have a .40 barrel for range because the .357 Sig is expensive to run for range use.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#28]
The barrel marked 40 S&W in your picture is for a Sig Sauer pistol. Your telling me that it is dimensionally the same as a Glock pistol barrel?
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Gaston Glock recommends pulling the slide to the rear to chamber a round as opposed to using the slide catch.  A lot of LEO are taught to grasp the slide instead of using the slide catch.  They also teach how you can chamber a glock by using your shoe or other object.  The Glock is as close to ambidextrous as most people need.  My agency does a lot of week hand shooting which is left handed for me and the Glock is a lot better than other pistols and revolves I've carried.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I see no reason not to use the slide stop
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Gaston Glock recommends pulling the slide to the rear to chamber a round as opposed to using the slide catch.  A lot of LEO are taught to grasp the slide instead of using the slide catch.  They also teach how you can chamber a glock by using your shoe or other object.  The Glock is as close to ambidextrous as most people need.  My agency does a lot of week hand shooting which is left handed for me and the Glock is a lot better than other pistols and revolves I've carried.

Very true. In training, we use the "one hand injured" trick of racking the slide by catching the rear sight on the heel of your boot while in a kneeling position. Works great if you have metal or night sights. The plastic ones, not so good.

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Holy triple tap Batman! Sry...
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Holy triple tap Batman! Sry...

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Good choice. One thing I would add is the extended slide release. I am a lefty too  and it makes it easier when using your trigger finger to release the slide. That and night sights have been the only changes I have made to any of my Glocks. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you get the Sig barrel to run in that Glock?

My screw up, grabbed the wrong barrel out of the stack in the safe for the photo in Feb.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Update:

I received my new holster today, it is a Don Hume H721OT and I am very happy with it.  I am very impressed with the concealment of this G23 with this holster.  It is also very comfortable to carry and I have been carrying it all day to include wearing it while typing this post.  The price was very reasonable with this holster and retains the weapon very well.

http://www.topglock.com/item/44598_Don_Hume_Holsters_D_HUME_721OT_36-4_GLK_19_.aspx
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That is the gun (though mine was Gen 2 and sans rail) that I regret selling a few years back.  What type of chart is that in the background?  At first glance, it almost looks like a VFR sectional, but the notes on the chart indicate that it is obviously not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Good choice.  I am not going to get into a platform war.  To each his own and the 23 is a fine choice.  But if you want to take your Glock to the next level...Boresight Solutions

If thats the "next level" I'm out .  I like my Glock to...you know, actually feel and shoot like a Glock.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Gaston Glock recommends pulling the slide to the rear to chamber a round as opposed to using the slide catch.

Untrue!  The Glock manual states both are acceptable methods.  The fact is that using the Slide Lock Lever is faster because it doesn't require such a large movement off target.  That said, whichever method you train with and become proficient with will work the best for you.

I myself have tweaked my Slide Lock Levers so that a sharp slap on the basepad of the magazine will cause the slide to drop by itself.  That by far is the fastest way to get back into the fight.  Should the slide fail to cycle forward, my thumb is on the Slide Lock Lever to release it.  It works for me because I train that way.  YMMV

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If thats the "next level" I'm out .  I like my Glock to...you know, actually feel and shoot like a Glock.
Give yourself a weekend project and buy ammo with the money you didn't waste on something you could do your self.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Gaston Glock recommends pulling the slide to the rear to chamber a round as opposed to using the slide catch.

Untrue!  The Glock manual states both are acceptable methods.  The fact is that using the Slide Lock Lever is faster because it doesn't require such a large movement off target.  That said, whichever method you train with and become proficient with will work the best for you.

I myself have tweaked my Slide Lock Levers so that a sharp slap on the basepad of the magazine will cause the slide to drop by itself.  That by far is the fastest way to get back into the fight.  Should the slide fail to cycle forward, my thumb is on the Slide Lock Lever to release it.  It works for me because I train that way.  YMMV  

Can you share any details as to how you did that?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#42]
FWIW in armorer school we were told they are slide "lock" or slide "stop" levers not slide "release" levers.  I was informed they are simply for locking the slide to clear a malfunction etc, and you should be pulling the slide back to actually "release" the slide when chambering a round.   I think in theory by pulling back the slide the extra half inch you gain a little velocity and spring pressure to slam the round home.  That combined with the fact the first thing you lose when the SHTF is fine motor skills makes it my choice of chambering a round.  It's definately a lot slower to reload that way, but hopefully you'll be behind cover at that point so the 1/4 second shouldn't matter.  Everyone trains different, use what works!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top