Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2007 8:14:20 PM EDT
i know it is sad and i will probaly never hear the end of it, but i have an obligations to let everyone know about the incident. i will just say that i am glad that it broke at the range and not while defending my self or my family.

here is what happened. i got to the local indoor range and loaded up my mags. i fired 10rds no problem, next magazine fired 5 more noproblem, tried to fire another round and the trigger was not working, totally inop. so i unloaded the weapon and cleared it to try to diagnose the problem.
i then tried to disassemble it, but with the trigger being inop i couldn't do so. so with the slide locked back to the rear, i looked down inside through the top and i could plain as day see that the metal bar that runs along the right inside of the frame had broken away from the metal piece that works the trigger.

so i have written them a letter that will go inside the box to ship it back once i get in touch with sa. i tried to call but they were closed for the day all ready, so i will have to wait till monday if i have the time. i just hope they can throw in a set of night sights that would really make my day and give me new found confidence in them.

it is crazy that the first problem i had out of my service model wasn't a malfunction but an actual break of a part.

i will try to take pics, and they might come out they may not but i will try if i get time.
here are a few pics.

Link Posted: 3/17/2007 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#1]
What caliber pistol?
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#2]
9? 40?

interesting.. first problem I've heard of on the XD!
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Yikes  Time to get a Glock.... (sorry I couldn't help myself)
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
caliber is .40 s&w
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
caliber is .40 s&w

Figures! Seems lots of the 40 cal XD's have problems. I bought four 40 cal XD's and every one had problems. I have two 9mm XD's that are 100% from day one.
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

yikes!

a .40 in a Glock?!!?!?  true, an unsupported chamber might give you enough time to throw it at someone.

send it back in and if you don't mind let us know what happened.  I kinda like the XDs.

Link Posted: 3/17/2007 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for posting this. This is the very first post that I have read on this or any board about an XD that wasn't glowingly positive.

I hope tha SAI will hook you up in good fashion.

BTW, have you ever been introduced to the 1911?
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info, and sorry about your gun. I hope SA makes it right. Keep us informed.

I have a XD45, and so far no probs.

Link Posted: 3/18/2007 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Another question. Was it a stock pistol or had there been any trigger work done on it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm that is the ONLY problem that I have heard of.You just need to buy another one in the mean time!
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#11]
this is the first issue i have ever had out of the gun, up until this point the gun was 100 percent reliable but on rd number 4230 it broke, i am not mad at the company and by no means will this turn me off from them, it has been great, as a matter of fact i own a sc in .40 and will be buying a service model in 9mm in the future. they are great guns, i can not say aenough greatness about them, i am still a life long owner of the xd line up, and that will be especially true if they hook me up.

yikes!

a .40 in a Glock?!!?!? true, an unsupported chamber might give you enough time to throw it at someone.

send it back in and if you don't mind let us know what happened. I kinda like the XDs.

i definetly will keep you informed, on how sa handles the situation.

as a matter of fact i am gonna be buyimg my first 1911 when i get back from the upcomming deployment. or maybe while i am on R&R. i am gonna get the kimber pro carry tle II lg. they are sweet and accurate.

Another question. Was it a stock pistol or had there been any trigger work done on it?

totally stock gun, no trigger work the only thing i have done to the gun is out in a #22 wolff spring and dgr.
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/19/2007 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I still don't understand the fascination with the 40 S&W, most issues I see with ANY handgun seems to have the common denominator of being chambered in 40 S&W.  My observations anyway, I'm sure others will agree or disagree.

Hope it all works out, keep us updated.  I'm interested to know how SA handles stuff like this.
Link Posted: 3/19/2007 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#14]
How many rounds downrange in this??? total?

fred

Link Posted: 3/19/2007 2:52:51 PM EDT
[#15]

How many rounds downrange in this??? total?

4230rds and i can tell you every single type, make, grain size of every rd fired through it.

I still don't understand the fascination with the 40 S&W, most issues I see with ANY handgun seems to have the common denominator of being chambered in 40 S&W. My observations anyway, I'm sure others will agree or disagree.

i have never heard of any h&k's having problems especially the usp's but maybe that is because they were built around the .40 unlike most other handguns that are started in 9mm and then are added in other larger calibers down the road.
Link Posted: 3/22/2007 7:05:12 PM EDT
[#16]
update:
i sent the xd in to sa two days ago and it arrived yesterday at 1000hrs, so i hope to hear back form them soon. any idea how long warranty work normally takes to complete? thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2007 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
update:
i sent the xd in to sa two days ago and it arrived yesterday at 1000hrs, so i hope to hear back form them soon. any idea how long warranty work normally takes to complete? thanks

did you write a letter or contact them prior to shipping it?
Link Posted: 3/24/2007 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#18]

did you write a letter or contact them prior to shipping it?

yes i contacted them over the phone before shipping it in to get the return number to put on the outside of the box, and i enclosed a letter with the handgun as well to describe the issue with the gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2007 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I still don't understand the fascination with the 40 S&W, most issues I see with ANY handgun seems to have the common denominator of being chambered in 40 S&W.  My observations anyway, I'm sure others will agree or disagree.

Hope it all works out, keep us updated.  I'm interested to know how SA handles stuff like this.

That would make two of us. I had three .40's; Beretta, Glock 22 and 27. All gone now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2007 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

as a matter of fact i am gonna be buyimg my first 1911 when i get back from the upcomming deployment. or maybe while i am on R&R. i am gonna get the kimber pro carry tle II lg. they are sweet and accurate.

Sorry man. I was just pokin at ya a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2007 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Sorry man. I was just pokin at ya a little bit.

oh i know dude, but that is great advice and i will definetly be adding one to the collection!
Link Posted: 3/25/2007 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yikes!

a .40 in a Glock?!!?!?  true, an unsupported chamber might give you enough time to throw it at someone.

send it back in and if you don't mind let us know what happened.  I kinda like the XDs.

I have 5000 rounds that disagree.

Sorry to hear about the XD breaking You have to send it to SA right? There are no replacement parts you can buy to fix it yourself?
Link Posted: 3/26/2007 4:04:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Sorry to hear about the XD breaking  You have to send it to SA right? There are no replacement parts you can buy to fix it yourself?

rodger there are no replacement parts that sa sells, but i wouldn't fix it myself anyways!  and the xd was sent i last week, as a matter of fact that reminds me i need to call them today!
Link Posted: 4/1/2007 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Although I like me XD, I would save the $150 and buy a Steyr.
Austrians make one heck of a weapon.
Reliable, points well, and accurate.....sorta like my XD...hmmmm..and my beretta... guess it's all preferance....anyhow
lets us know what they say.
Link Posted: 4/1/2007 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#25]
tag for update. I have a XD 40 myself.
Link Posted: 4/1/2007 12:39:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would make two of us. I had three .40's; Beretta, Glock 22 and 27. All gone now.

I have one .40 myself; Sig P239 SAS, and I plan to sell the thing.  I might keep it as a BUG since it's so small, but I'm horribly inaccurate with it compared to any of the other pistols (three .45s and a 9mm) that I own.

I can't say anything good or bad about the .40 in general, but out of a 3.5" barrel boy does that muzzle like to flip.

Link Posted: 4/1/2007 12:48:20 AM EDT
[#27]
My XD-9 had problems with the extractor pin during the break in period, I would say within the first 300 rounds.  S/A was wonderful to deal with.  Listened to my description of the problem, told me to send it back to them, so I did.  Turn around was about 30 days if I remember correctly. When I got my gun back it was in pristine condition.  No problems since then. Not my primary weapon now, but still a sentimental favorite since it was my first.
Link Posted: 4/2/2007 2:17:43 PM EDT
[#28]
i don't have much to update, but i called them last friday and they told me if i didn't already have it by the following wensday which will be two days from now, to give them a call and they will do a status report on it and let me know exactly where it is in the process. i haven't gotten a call back from them so i guess all is going well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Update:
I called sa today and got a status report on my broke xd and they said that it is in the repair shop right now and that they expect it to be shipped out monday or tuesday, so either way i should have it back by the end of next week, hopefully sooner.
btw they recieved it the 21st of march, no to bad i don't think.
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 12:44:36 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have one .40 myself; Sig P239 SAS, and I plan to sell the thing.  I might keep it as a BUG since it's so small, but I'm horribly inaccurate with it compared to any of the other pistols (three .45s and a 9mm) that I own.

I can't say anything good or bad about the .40 in general, but out of a 3.5" barrel boy does that muzzle like to flip.

I like the .40 as far as a caliber but I do not like most .40 cal pistols. I love my CZ 75B and CZ 40B which are both .40s but it seems like when that round is stuffed in a pistol that designed for 9mm there is problems. If I purchased another .40 it would be a SIG 229 or a Steyer.

Link Posted: 4/6/2007 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#31]
h&k .40 pistols i believe are among the best. that will probally be my next handgun purchase.
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I love the XD.  We transitioned to the XD45 at our department, after having tested numerous guns, to include the XD40.  If you go HK, just beware their customer service.  We didnt test any HKs...because they wouldnt send us any, and would rarely return our calls.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:11:56 AM EDT
[#33]
thanks for sharing, i have 3 xd's, a 357 sig service, 40 cal service, 45acp service, so far they have been perfect, my experience with springfield service was top notch on a 1911 i had
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top