Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2005 2:09:23 PM EDT
Started life as the most basic pakerized model.

I added Wilson Combat bulletproof extractor, Kings grip safety, CMC Trigger and Hammer, Ed Brown mainspring, Wolf recoil spring, Wolf plunger tube spring, Kimber rubber grips, Wilson Combat hex head grip screws, adjuster the sear spring, deactivated the ILS and added skateboard tape to front strap.

I prolly could have bought a loaded model for less money overall.  But by buying the Milspec and swapping out the parts myself I got rid of the ILS function, got a real extractor instead of MIM, and learned a lot about 1911's in the process. (Okay, maybe not "a lot" but more than I knew about the design before.)
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you do any shooting with it before you did any work on it?  I'm curious about how it functions straight out of the box.

Robert
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice!

What's next on the List Of Things To Do?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Did you do any shooting with it before you did any work on it?

Yep, about 1200 rounds. I found it cut the shit out of the web of my hand with the sharp edge of the stock grip safety.  The hard plastic grips were slippery and eventually they both cracked. The factory plunger tube spring had a kink in it which made installation of the slide stop difficult. Plus the MIM extractor did not have enough tension to extract and eject a loaded round during administrative handling. I tried to adjust the tension of the stock extractor and the MIM part would not hold a set.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What's next on the List Of Things To Do?

Night sights, some day. Other than that just shoot the hell out of it and replacing the recoil spring every couple thousand rounds.  right now it only has about 2,800 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I was wondering how good they are out of the box.  For years I shot 1911s with the stock grip safety and only had minor problems, but then I've got small hands.  I didn't realize that there would be much difference until the 1st time that I shot one with a bevertail grip safety...now I'm spoiled!
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice .45, I need to get one to build up.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Beavertails let you grab the gun higher, which lessens muzzle flip.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
So much for your beater plinker <G>

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks good. I am growing fonder of 1911s without the serations on the front of the slide.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Fan,
I'd like to do the same sort of thing to a Mil-Spec but probably in stainless steel.  How difficult was it to replace the parts?  Was any "special fitting" required or do the parts just drop in?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Fan,
I'd like to do the same sort of thing to a Mil-Spec but probably in stainless steel.  How difficult was it to replace the parts?

I assemble my own AR15 uppers and lowers and found the 1911 only slightly more complicated than AR parts installs. If you can assemble an AR lower you can do 1911 parts swaps.

Was any "special fitting" required or do the parts just drop in?

all the parts were drop in.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:33:34 AM EDT
[#12]
deactivated the ils?? whats that??
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:20:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Try a fitted Ed Brown beavertail without the damned bump.   My carry SA had one fitted and the frontstrap relieved a bit under the trigger guard.   It handles beautifully

You can get the Novak non tritium sights fairly cheap from brownells, get the slide cut for them and buy the night version whenever you can.

My SA GI model is however bone stock and a damned good shooter out of the box.   Sure it's not in the same class as my modded one but very nostalgic and at about 2K rounds through it she's dead nuts reliable.   Zero malfs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
deactivated the ils?? whats that??

A modified main spring housing that has a tumbler in it with a groove in the mainspring cap that allows you to lock the action of the pistio with a supllied key.

It uses a shorter and stiffer than normal mainspring with results in a slightly heavier trigger pull according to some.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top