Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 7:10:27 PM EDT
This is my first 1911.
I picked this up from a friend for 250..

the slide is a Colt slide with the last patent date of Aug.19.1913
other side is Model Of 1911.U.S.Army

It needs a Refinnesh but i dont know if i want to refinnesh this slide.
The frame is not Orginal i dont know who manuafactures it but the markings are..

RMT SO EL MONTE *funney i used to live near there*

everything else is off the Orginal 1911..

The Mag i got with it is a 7rd blued mag.. no Markings on it at all

I allready put 100 rounds through it with no problems at all with the mentioned mag.

The only thing i noticed with it *it seems to be a commen Problem.* is it shoots Very low at around 10 yrds *about a foot* i was shooting a dueling tree and i would hit the second one while aiming for the top..

the questions are..

Should i refinnesh the Slide and other USGI Parts? i would love to to protect them and make them look better but i understand it lowers the value.
How can i fix the sight problem without hacking the slide up? the slide i feel is worth well more then what i paid for the whole firearm.

Thanks and heres a pic.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:32:30 AM EDT
[#1]
congrats on the new pistol. Looks good
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#2]
As it is, the parts don't have much value without the matching frame..

If I were you I'd send it off to be either re-blued or re-parked. Parking is much more durable, but doesn't have the classy look of a high-luster blue

You won't be really hurting any value, really. Some people may argue with me, but if you don't intend to part out the pistol and sell the parts to someone trying to restore an original 1911...then, well, who cares? It's yours, enjoy it

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks good. Is that the one you had a the Or. shoot?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep yep thats the one.. love how it shoots..

allright well *no offence* but i would like a few more opinions on weather or not to repark it..

it be nice to turn this into a "freshly issued" looking military 1911.. right now it look like what it is.. a 1911 that was issues probably 80 years ago..

Jess
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Well , I see it this way.
You got $250 in it.

Even with a refinish, you will never have a complete GI 1911 , just a Facsimile.

If the Slide , Barrel,and most of the Internals are genuine USGI and in good condition ,
Someone out there could rebuild a ratty GI gun, were you to sell them your parts.

Between those parts and the frame - you could probably come up with enough $$
to Buy a Springfield GI 1911.

OR , you could just look for a GI Frame and build up a complete GI Colt "shooter" yourself.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool!
I vote "shoot it".
cc
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What you have is a parts gun.

Park it and shoot it.

Yep, the bottom looks to be a remington rand? Not 100% sure though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Rodger that i'll go ahead and get the stuff i need to Park it..

anyone have a good website explaning what i need to cover up on the slide when i park it? i'm guessing not too much..

Jess
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Rodger that i'll go ahead and get the stuff i need to Park it..

anyone have a good website explaning what i need to cover up on the slide when i park it? i'm guessing not too much..

Jess

Unless you plan on getting more guns, you should just have somone park it.  Cheaper and less hazardous to your health.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:31:03 AM EDT
[#11]
ehh i'm ALMOST inclinded to agree with you.. i know HOW to park something.. but the chemicals and such used in parkerizing are really not all that hazerdious do you..

if i remember right all you need for basic parkerizing is some Phosphoric Acid and Maginaze Dioxiad.. both of weach are not all that harmful.. the rest of the park bath is water and steel or iron..

i can pick up the chemicals for maybie 10 dollers i think *keyword think* and then some other things on top of it..

so if someone would charge more then $50 at the most i probably would rather just do it myself..

*i'm a very DIY type person*  

i might even strip all the finnesh off the rest of the parts so i can get the finnesh more uniform..

Jess
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:25:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice.  I like it.  If it were me and it shoots good, I would leave it like it is.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:17:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks and it shoots great except for it shooting low.. i think i'll try and figure out the worth of the USGI slide.. if they arent worth too much i'll go ahead and see about getting some better sights on it.

i do want to refinnesh it though as i dont want the rust to get any worse on it.

Jess
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
great buy for 250.00
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top