Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2006 12:46:38 PM EDT
Today at the range this happened to my Mosquito.  On the second round the slide snaped in two just behind the front sight.  The slide fell of the back of the frame and landed at my feet.  As soon as I was able to control my laughner I began to realize how messed up this is, nearly a $400 pistol and its pot metal.  Anybody have a phone # for Sig customer service it looks like I'll be talking to them monday?

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Where did you get the threaded bbl? I thought SIG wasnt providing those. Anyway, thats an interesting episode for sure. I would REALLY like to know what they tell you. Pls let us know...OK??? If they fix it you might be in for a long wait. Im starting week 4 or 5 in my wait for a safety switch. The original broke in half for an unknown reason.

I really like the Mosquito (most fun 22RF HG Ive ever owned) and have a bit more than 7K rds thru it since Christmas. I think SIG truely screwed up though making it so lightweight. Ill hold onto mine as it was a gift and I VERY much enjoy shooting it but will never own another SIG. I also owned a couple Trailsides and they just werent that great. Whoever is designing their 22RF HGs really needs another day job as do the marketing folks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, now that would have ruined my day.  Best of luck to you!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#4]
At least you laughed about it, I would have been royally pissed off.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]
BUT , BUT ,  WHERES THE KABOOM ?

There was supposed to be an EARTH SHATTERING KABOOM!

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I thought SIG wasnt providing those.
Im starting week 4 or 5 in my wait for a safety switch.

You can send your barrel to one of many companys that will extend and thread it for you,gemtech did mine.
It may be a long shot but if it turns out they send me a complete new slide and don't want the old one back.  I'll email you and send ya my safety lever.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
You are probably screwed from a warranty point of view.  You might want to replace the stock barrel and not mention the can.  

Edit: oops, I guess that is the stock barrel.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, must be the mil-surp 22 ammo.

Tag, to see what the hell happened.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting.  I am really curious to see how Sig handles this.  I really hope they don't pull the 'excess backpressure from the suppressor exceeded the weapon's design limitation' excuse.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Joe dirt voice......DAAAAANG........Joe dirt voice. Glad you did not get hurt.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#12]
WTF??? thats just a lousy .22 man it shouldn't exceed the strength of the slide for nothing!!!

Just WOW... WOW
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:22:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Holy crap, I wonder if a similar fate awaits my P22.   I've shot thousands of rounds suppressed thorugh that and with the cast zinc slide .......
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can send your barrel to one of many companys that will extend and thread it for you,gemtech did mine.
It may be a long shot but if it turns out they send me a complete new slide and don't want the old one back.  I'll email you and send ya my safety lever.  

Thanx! That was very kind of you to offer!

I really would like to know what SIG says though about your weapons failure.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#16]
fuck!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#17]
We'll I talked to sigs customer service today.  There sending me a shipping label for it to be returned to them for a gunsmith inspection Because it takes a master gunsmith to see that it's fuck'in broke .

The guy at sig did seem kind of suprised at the problem.  Sounded like it was the first cracked slide phone call.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#18]
My crystal ball predicted this.  I bought a Ruger .22-45.

Good luck with that warranty claim.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#19]
WOW! Please let us know how Sig handles this..
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice pic I love the first one.

If your gonna post anymore pics could ya try to get these ?
A close up of the two pieces of the slide at the edges that cracked by the front sight. I would like to see how the breaks line up and if there is a lip on either piece.
One more of the inside of the side were the lock up occurs over the chamber.
How about  a close up of the top barrel above the chamber were the wear is.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow- that is some crazy +P+ .22 ammo you got there.

Tag to see how Sig handles this...

Good luck!

Dave
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Nice pic I love the first one.

If your gonna post anymore pics could ya try to get these ?
A close up of the two pieces of the slide at the edges that cracked by the front sight. I would like to see how the breaks line up and if there is a lip on either piece.
One more of the inside of the side were the lock up occurs over the chamber.
How about  a close up of the top barrel above the chamber were the wear is.

My thoughts are that it was just a flaw in the casting, Maybe just a small crack that got bigger.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#23]
To hell and back reliability

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Pisses me off.
I want to buy a Mosquito and Can for my first NFA.
Now...I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I wonder if its significant that the break occured immeidately behind the 'solid' section of the slide? In fact it looks like a very clean break...not like youd imagine w/ deformation and a ragged edge. Did you notice if the slide fully cycled? If not it might be that the front of the slide got hung and the power/shock of the firing rd was enough to cause the separation. How many rds did you have thru it w/ the suppressor fitted? Its very curious... Oh, did the slide stop (or any other parts) incur damge? That would be interesting to know.

BTW that sure is a nice safety switch you have there! Its green too just like my old one. Could you get a close up of it?? Just kidding...Im goin gthru a bit of withdrawal......never mind.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#26]
The pistol itself had 2K rnds. through it 1,950 of witch would have been with the suppressor on it.
Ammo was about 80% MiniMags some green tags and gold medal match.
The first round fired cycled and chambered the next round. the second round fired and i saw something large fall in front of me for a split second I thought the magazine had fallen out but then realized it was the slide.  
I figure it started to compress the recoil spring when it broke because the slide did not fly back at me rather just fell off the back of the frame.

Sorry possum they want the whole gun back.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Thats not much use at all. Ill be very interested to hear SIGs part of this. That break is really clean almost as if its been working on it for a while.

Have you sent the gun in yet?

Thats OK about the safety switch...never mind me...as I said its just withdrawal induced.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#29]
tag

I was just thinking about buying one of these.  Quite curious what SIG has to say.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#31]
This weapon is recoil operated right? I can't see HOW the can would have anything to do with the failure of the slide. If there was excessive pressure wouldn't the slide cycle and vent it out the breech rather than fail like that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#33]
The problem is it is built like a kids toy. A zinc slide.......come on! That is about as solid as an equally thick piece of plastic is. I'm a huge SIG fan but they really half asses this gun.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I have read many bad things about the Mosquito and the Walther P22 - I don't think I'll ever buy either...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#35]
If I had a nice suppressor for a 22, I would think twice about screwing my NFA investment on the end of a Mosquito or P22 POS.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The problem is it is built like a kids toy. A zinc slide.......come on! That is about as solid as an equally thick piece of plastic is. I'm a huge SIG fan but they really half asses this gun.

OTOH I got my Mosquito for Christmas and up until 4 weeks ago was regualrly funneling ammo thru it. To date I have 7+K rds thru it w/o a problem....until the safety switch broke in half. Im now in the 4th week of waiting for the part. Mine has proven very fun and reliable. Time will tell just how reliable but my hope is that this is the last time for a while that Ill have to repair it. SIG seems to have a less than excellent track record where 22RF HGs are concerned. I owned a couple Trailsides and thought they were total garbage. I think the name was appropriate though...find one discarded along the trailside wouldnt be surprising.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually SIG is providing threaded barrels for the Mosquito. They made a special version thats legal for use in Canada where barrel length has to be greater than 4 inches (106mm). The version offered has a 122mm threaded barrel with a threadcap on it.

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/images/Mosquito.jpg

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/images/Mosquito.jpg
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Just get a new slide and she should be ready for action.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:34:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Well its on its journey with Mr. Brown back to the factory.

So I figure they'll either take the high road or the low road.
Replace the slide(this would of course be the high road).
Tell me to pound sand and send me a bill(of course this would be the low road).

Im think'in if they low road it I put 60% chance on them say'in it was the can and excess back pressure,30% chance on them say'in it was the green slide,or they tell me that Iwas holding it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#41]
what's the other 10%?

in all seriousness, though, i opened up the thread and burst into laughter myself.

then i calmed down and realized how much that must suck.

good luck.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:52:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I thought someone thought of a really cool mod to fix the front end of the barrel in the slide and let the slide reciprocate like a Colt Woodsman.  

That bites.  I would deffinitely  expect the low road these days.  Everyone takes it.  If they weren't into taking the low road they wouldn't have built a shoddy product from square one.  

How about a radius? Did those guys take engineering or what? Square edges?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#43]
R O F L!  That is just crazy.. plain crazy!  At least you did not get hurt ;)
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Updates?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Updates?

Sig recieved it on the 3-2-06 but I haven't heard back from them yet.  I figure I'll give them another couple of days before I start calling.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#46]
tag to hear back from Sig
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Update:

Sig called today and had a few questions for me about round count,suppressor, and finish.
Again the person from Sig seemed shocked as to the slide cracking.

According to sig the next move is sending it to there lab after which I should have an answer back in the next week.                                        Mostow241
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#48]
tag
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
According to sig the next move is sending it to there lab after which I should have an answer back in the next week.                                        Mostow241

That seems strange to me.

On the other hand, Sig's lab sounds like it would be a pretty cool place to work (unless it's some sort of 3rd party deal).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top