Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 9:53:53 AM EDT
It's turning to rust. Down here in South Texas, I sweat copiously, and by the end of the day the leather holster is soaked. There's nothing worse for a guns finish than being immersed in hot salt water.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, being that it is a Mak, this might be in bad taste, but have you considered getting it refinished with polymer or hard chrome?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:25:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Get rid of that blued Commie pistol, and get yourself a GLOCK.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Get yourself some bbq paint and coat the hell out of it.   It's a cheap gun, cheap paint is fine for it.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
rustoleum
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Black T finish is what I used on a Para-P10 that I carried IWB in Ga.
It worked out really well, but I got rid of it and got a Glock not long after!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I knew someone would say that! But, you're right. A Glock 29 man's gun is next on my list of guns to buy, and a buddy gave me 300rnds of ammunition a few months ago.

Quoted:
Well, being that it is a Mak, this might be in bad taste, but have you considered getting it refinished with polymer or hard chrome?

I thought about it, but new guns are about the cost of quality refinishing, only $150.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If the Mak is nice enough, get a matte hard chrome finish for it.  They are inexpensive guns, but usually very well made, accurate and reliable.  Its worth the investment.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I am going to shake n bake mine with a can of Brownells GunKote in a can.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

The makarov is a fun toy, but nothing means business like a glock.  I'm so not worried about rust i wash mine in the sink.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Krylon.  Go read SOCANDYMAN's post in the AK forums on BBQ paint.  Rustoleum bbq paint sucks.  Did my ak with it and some of it wiped right off.

Quoted:
rustoleum

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The makarov is a fun toy, but nothing means business like a glock.  I'm so not worried about rust i wash mine in the sink.

a Well..at least you didn't call the Makarov junk !  That is exactly what I uses to think until I got a little hands on with one. So I bought another.   The caliber may be considered to be a little underpowered by some folks. But the makarov pistol certainly is not junk!  It's only real weakness IMO is the fact that it is a blow back  design.  That pretty much negates any more powerful cartridge that the 9x18Makarov. Or so I'm told!  The 9mm para model was / is deemed to be unsafe. Something about it's serrated chamber shreading the brass cases and peppering the shooter.  That couldn't be a good thing!

I agree ithe makarov is fun, but it is certainly NO toy !

I like my Glock...but it has NO class. It is strictly functional and that is what I like most about it besides
the fact that it holds 7 big fat hard hitting .45 ACP Holler points.

The finest hand gun design in the world holds 8 big old fat .45acp FMJ's and it's all steel........... that is the Colt 1911 as JMB himself and the US Army agreed upon it.

I was considering going with www.shootiniron.com/ for a refinish job when I was considering my Bulgy Mak for my CCW.  Prices seem reasonable and I've heard good things about Mac.'s refinishing services.

That was before I got my Kahr PM9........

Did you read where I said I like my Glock too?
Hell , if you show it a little lovin afterwards your can clean your Makarov in the sink too!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

a Well..at least you didn't call the Makarov junk !  That is exactly what I uses to think until I got a little hands on with one. So I bought another.   The caliber may be considered to be a little underpowered by some folks. But the makarov pistol certainly is not junk!  It's only real weakness IMO is the fact that it is a blow back  design.  That pretty much negates any more powerful cartridge that the 9x18Makarov. Or so I'm told!  The 9mm para model was / is deemed to be unsafe. Something about it's serrated chamber shreading the brass cases and peppering the shooter.  That couldn't be a good thing!

I like my Glock...but it has NO class. It is strictly functional and that is what I like most about it besides

The finest hand gun design in the world holds 8 big old fat .45acp FMJ's and it's all steel........... that is the Colt 1911 as JMB himself and the US Army agreed upon it.

I was considering going with www.shootiniron.com/ for a refinish job when I was considering my Bulgy Mak for my CCW.  Prices seem reasonable and I've heard good things about Mac.'s refinishing services.

That was before I got my Kahr PM9........

Did you read where I said I like my Glock too?
Hell , if you show it a little lovin afterwards your can clean your Makarov in the sink too!

I had my blued Sig slide refinished by them because it kept rusting. good work and good price. no worries about rust and I never clean the slide.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a Glock M27 or a stainless Kahr MK40. Both pack a mighty punch, handle well and have stood up well to years of carry against my bare skin in the AZ summer heat. Highly recommended.

The surplus Maks represent good value as range plinkers or for really poor people, but are inferior to the above pistols as defensive firearms. How much is your life worth ?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:00:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That's exactly the point, the glock is all business.  If you are gonna be serious about packing something , you pack something that is all business.

No, a makarov is certainly not junk.  they're accurate and reliable, but i wouldn't consider it personally as a defensive firearm given a choice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:33:11 AM EDT
[#15]
kydex holster with a tucked in tshirt between the holster and the your skin
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I'm not a BBQ paint fan, even though my primary firemarm gunsmithing is done on AK's and all, but I'm still a big fan of slightly better finsihes.  The BBQ paint will work, but for a Mak I'd be more inclined to use Duracoat if you wanted a solid paint type finish.

But personally I'd go with Moly-Resin or maybe Gunkote for a Mak.  It will never ever rust again.  Better yet you don't have to pay $150 bucks to get it done.

Use some steel wool to get rid of any rust spots you have, the degrease it and spray less than $20 worth of Moly-Resin on with a $20 airbrush.  When done, toss it in the oven for an hour @ 300.

Presto, a beautifully refinished Mak that will be impervious to sweat.  

That's the route I went on my 1911 and have been carrying it for over a year.  The frame is blasted stainless but the blued slide and levers I Moly'd.  Better yet, you won't use all of the Moly-Resin at once so if you start to get some holster wear and are anal about that sort of thing, a quick hit with an airbrush and the oven will bring it right back.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I am seriously considering this, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:42:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am seriously considering this, thanks.

it works fairly well. granted NY isn't as hot as texas normally, but we've had 85+ degree days with 80%+ humidity and it's tolerable to wearthe undershirt
and I used to wear a tshirt under my Pizza Hut polo shirt when I was a cook in highschool and stood next to the oven for 4+ hours, so it's doable even in the heat
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I carry a Glock M27 or a stainless Kahr MK40. Both pack a mighty punch, handle well and have stood up well to years of carry against my bare skin in the AZ summer heat. Highly recommended.

The surplus Maks represent good value as range plinkers or for really poor people, but are inferior to the above pistols as defensive firearms. How much is your life worth ?

I guess $589
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#21]
if you're looking at preventing rust, nothing out there better than eezox.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#22]
"The finest hand gun design in the world holds 8 big old fat .45acp FMJ's and it's all steel........... that is the Colt 1911 as JMB himself and the US Army agreed upon it. "

1911 was a fine pistol back in the day but now the finest hand gun design in the world holds 12 big old fat .45acp FMJ's or any other .45acp and it's stronger then steel, does not rust ........... that is the MK23 the U.S. Special Operations Command including the Navy SEALs and the Army Special Forces agreed upon it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:42:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
"The finest hand gun design in the world holds 8 big old fat .45acp FMJ's and it's all steel........... that is the Colt 1911 as JMB himself and the US Army agreed upon it. "

1911 was a fine pistol back in the day but now the finest hand gun design in the world holds 12 big old fat .45acp FMJ's or any other .45acp and it's stronger then steel, does not rust ........... that is the MK23 the U.S. Special Operations Command including the Navy SEALs and the Army Special Forces agreed upon it.

If you were to carry something as big as a Mk23 you might as well carry an M4.   Both are less than ideal for concealed carry.   I'll take my 1911 any day.  9 rounds of .45 and 2 spare 8 round mags will do just fine.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:21:11 AM EDT
[#25]
He was not saying for carry he said the finest.. And for carry I choose the USPC. When its life and death, I want something I know will work.. Don't get me wrong I like and have a few 1911s, and I bought a 2000.00 custom useltonarms 1911 for carry, but it just has had 1 2 many jams, 2 total out of 1000 or so rounds, and I just cant have that if the time comes and I have to pull. The USP has put 3000 rounds out without fail.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#26]
another option instead of a tshirt tucked in would be underarmor, or the cheaper walmart knock off. not as warm as a tshirt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top