Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/22/2005 4:21:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 7:19:26 PM EDT by SPTiger]
I found a crack in the frame of my Glock 23 after I had taken it apart to clean it. I had carried it in a inside-the-pants-holster that is coming apart, that is the gritty looking stuff on the frame you see in the picture. Anyway, I've had it since '96, and it belonged to a buddy of mine before that, I think he bought it new in '94 before the ban. I carry it with me everywhere I go, and it isn't mistreated in any way. The crack is where the left slide rail starts. I don't know if it is in a critical area or not, and it doesn't look like it will affect function but I am going to contact Glock anyway. What do you guys think?

Damn that pic is big! I'm sorry I haven't figured out how to resize the pic on this computer. I don't have the same program on this PC as I do on my computer at work.

Well, I got my G23 back today, exactly nine days after I sent it to Glock. It is sporting a new 3rd Generation frame and a new serial number, G1XXXXX. The slide and barrel still show the old number obviously. My only concern is the ejector. My old frame had a rather short ejector compared to my G19, but the ejector on the new G23 frame is the same length as on my G19. I assume it will function OK but I'm going to take it out and shoot it before I return it to being my primary CCW.

Also, it was shipped in a new plastic case along with a lock, lapel pin and owner's manual. The only thing it cost me was the amount to ship it. I must say I am impressed with Glock's customer service.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:48:26 PM EDT
Can you take a pic facing straight on and from the top?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:02:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2005 5:04:00 PM EDT by Phil_A_Steen]
It's hard to see. Where in the pic is the crack?

ETA: Never mind. This guy showed me:

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:04:55 PM EDT
Looks like you are going to get a new, free, third gen frame from Glock. If you insist on your original serial number they can make it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:38:45 PM EDT
Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:55:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ToyCop:
Fixed it for you.

www.tti-1.com/glock.jpg

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:57:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrMojoRising:
Can you take a pic facing straight on and from the top?

That was my next step. From the front it looks like the back paart of the spring guide rod has been bumping up against that part of the frame. I don't know how that could be, I've dismantled it a thousand times and have never had to force anything.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 1:57:12 AM EDT
Give them a call, Glock has good customer service, they should get you squared away.

How many rounds through it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 2:03:57 AM EDT
I'm sure I don't have to say it but here goes anyway. "Don't shoot it anymore."

Get with Glock and they'll fix ya up.

Colt_SBR

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:23:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jlw_84:
Give them a call, Glock has good customer service, they should get you squared away.

How many rounds through it?

Considering the length of time I've had it, 9 years, it really hasn't been shot that much. I have put less than 2,000 rounds through it, and the guy that had it before me only put a couple hundred rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:27:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Colt_SBR:
I'm sure I don't have to say it but here goes anyway. "Don't shoot it anymore."

Get with Glock and they'll fix ya up.

Colt_SBR

Yeah, I just left it dismantled and loaded my Glock 19 as a carry piece. I went to Glock's website to get the phone # and I'm going to call them ASAP. If I have to send it to them I hope I won't be without it long. I don't feel right without it. My G19 is 3rd generation so if my 23 is upgraded I'm familiar with the feel of the grip.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:45:33 AM EDT
What is with all that unburnt powder?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:38:35 AM EDT
By chance was the guide rod & spring changed? I have seen frames get the sheet beat out of them because they have a lighter weight spring. When the slide cycles it stops just as it makes contact with the frame(see photo). If you have a lighter or worn out recoil spring, or residue buildup in the rail it might cause the corner to chip(crack in your case) or become deformed. I don't know if it's an issue or not in your case but I would guess not. I replaced my stock recoil spring & guide rod in all my .40s with a #20, this eliminates slide "peening" and softens the recoil just a little(not that recoil bothers me).

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:48:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SPTiger:
......If I have to send it to them I hope I won't be without it long. .......

You could always swap out the "Trigger Housing" from your G23 into the G19, use you G23 top end and mags and still be able to carry 40.

Question;

1) Have you or your friend ever shot 357SIG(barrel change) out of the G23?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:46:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1IV:
What is with all that unburnt powder?

That's not unburnt powder. I had the gun in an old Uncle Mike's inside-the-pants holster that apparently is dry-rotting. All that stuff that looks like powder is in fact the lining of the holster that is crumbling. That's why I had taken it apart, to get all that stuff out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:49:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HotRod9mm:
By chance was the guide rod & spring changed? I have seen frames get the sheet beat out of them because they have a lighter weight spring. When the slide cycles it stops just as it makes contact with the frame(see photo). If you have a lighter or worn out recoil spring, or residue buildup in the rail it might cause the corner to chip(crack in your case) or become deformed. I don't know if it's an issue or not in your case but I would guess not. I replaced my stock recoil spring & guide rod in all my .40s with a #20, this eliminates slide "peening" and softens the recoil just a little(not that recoil bothers me).

img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/hotrod9mm/Frame-Recoil-stop.jpg

No, I haven't changed the spring & rod, but I'll bet you are 100% correct on the spring being weak and the slide battering the frame. If you look at my frame from the front, you can see where something has been banging against it. I have shot only standard factory ammo in this gun so I can't imagine why this has happened.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:57:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2005 7:58:28 AM EDT by bulwaagh]
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but hopefully the OP has gotten it fixed.

Mine did something similar (3rd gen g22, purchased used with less than .5k rounds through it) but it was the locking block that cracked/broke

When this happened, I dunno, but it was factory ammo and I didnt know it was borked until I fieldstripped and was cleaning it (the pollen on the frame was where I set the pistol on my patio table, thats the yellow junk). There were no accuracy or reliability problems. This happened on a EYRxxx model.
http://www.ghettolan.org/bwoke22.jpg

http://www.ghettolan.org/bwoke22-a.jpg

Glock fixed it, they took their sweet time (quoted 1 week, turned into 3 weeks + shipping time)
However, its back, its working just like it should. No hassles from glock either.

Oh, pistol is bone-stock using 180gr WWB plinking stuff. Had ~2800 rounds through it when that happened.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:43:29 AM EDT
There were also reports that the bottom front of the receiver cracks on G19s and some other Glocks.
I'm not surprised, this type of plastic cracks frequently if it's not manufactured correctly. Glock may blame it on "reloads" but I plan to shoot only WWB or CCI Blazer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:40:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
There were also reports that the bottom front of the receiver cracks on G19s and some other Glocks.
I'm not surprised, this type of plastic cracks frequently if it's not manufactured correctly. Glock may blame it on "reloads" but I plan to shoot only WWB or CCI Blazer.

Almost 99% of the ammo fired in both of my Glocks has been CCI Blazer. I love the stuff. Looking at the frame from the front I noticed that my 3rd Generation Glock 19 has metal showing on the front of the frame rails, whereas my 2nd Generation G23 is only plastic. That is where the crack was located. Maybe the problem I had occured enough to warrant a change in the design of the frame rails.

I shipped my gun back to Glock on Monday the 1st. I hope it doesn't take long to get it back.
Top Top