Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 1:09:23 PM EDT
Guys,

I'm new to pistols...so please forgive my noobatude.

My G19 is still new. Maybe four trips to the range...maybe 300 rounds through it. I just put in a Glock factory 3.5 lb connector and a Glockparts titanium recoil rod. (I bought the one with the Glock factory spring)

Today at the range, while shooting from that stance where you're squared off to the target, I kept getting brass thrown directly back at my face. Not 100% of the time...but maybe 40% of the time. Can't say I remember it doing that on my other range trips. It certainly could have. This is only the second range visit where I used the "proper" stance. I was using a Weaver before.

Out of about 75 rounds, I did have two FTEs.......and I think one FTF.

Be kind!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Several things does it do it with stock recoil rod, have you tried switching back to the stock rod and shooting it that way.
You may just need to shoot it more get everything broke in (extractor/ejector/recoil rod).
My G37 when I first got it the pistol did the same thing after several trips to the range it broke in and stopped doing it and I noticed it was only with Speer ammo and not the white box Winchester.  Try a different type of ammo.
Report back after you have tried the few things I have suggested stock recoil rod, ammo, and putting more rounds through it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Guys,

My G19 is still new. Maybe four trips to the range...maybe 300 rounds through it. I just put in a Glock factory 3.5 lb connector and a Glockparts titanium recoil rod. (I bought the one with the Glock factory spring)

Today at the range, while shooting from that stance where you're squared off to the target, I kept getting brass thrown directly back at my face. Not 100% of the time...but maybe 40% of the time. Can't say I remember it doing that on my other range trips. It certainly could have. This is only the second range visit where I used the "proper" stance. I was using a Weaver before.

Be kind!

Depending on how new you are, I'd see if someone else could shoot it to verify there isn't a problem with grip/limp wristing, could save you a lot of time/trouble with part swapping
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys,

Be kind!

Depending on how new you are, I'd see if someone else could shoot it to verify there isn't a problem with grip/limp wristing, could save you a lot of time/trouble with part swapping

Oh, so it might be a grip thing? Not tight enough?

I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Might be your grip, might be the ammo, what kind were you running?  Sometimes this might happen with underpowered ammo, try something different and see if it persists.

And did it do this with the stock Recoil Spring Assembly in?  Just wondering, not sure how that might cause this, from a technical perspective, but when problems crop up I always recommend going back to stock parts and "working your way back" to diagnose the problem, as in my experience they run best when left stock.  Just a thought.

And keep shooting it, keep "breaking it in".  A couple of malfs in the first 300 rnds is no big deal, for sure.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#5]
limp-wristing is the first thing I thought of too, when I read the thread title. And again when you said you had a couple malfunctions.  Loose grip + brand new gun can definitely cause the problems you're having.

Try gripping the thing a little more (or a lot more) and run a few hundred more through it. I'd bet the problem goes away.

ETA: oh, and stick the stock guide rod/spring assembly back in too, just to eliminate that possibility.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Ran several types of ammo through it. Should have paid closer attention to which was which.

Regarding the "upgrades", I tend to agree. I keep most of my rifles stock...and the G19's 3.5 lb connector is a factory part too. However, the gunsmith on the AGI DVD made a compelling argument for swapping out the recoil rod. Hey, what do I know?!

Thanks for the great responses.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd want to know what types of ammo you ran.  I mean, would it do it more with one type than another, or less with full-power loads?

Kinda hard to say exactly what it could be.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#8]
3 possible causes IMO.

1. Limp wristing. While I do think people tend to blame too many issues on limp wristing, it can in fact cause the exact issue you are describing.
2. Aftermarket guide rod. I would highly suggest you remove that guiderod and replace it with the factory part. IMO aftermarket guide rods serve no purpose, especially on an otherwise stock Glock. If nothing else, replace it long enough to determine whether or not that is causing your issue?
3. Ammo. I have found (especially on my G19) that the ammo I use will effect the direction in which the empty brass goes. Using high pressure rounds, the brass tends to fly out in the 2-3 o’clock direction (horizontally, not vertical). Using standard pressure target loads, they tend to go out at the 3-4 o’clock direction. Using weak ammo like Wolf, rounds come out at the 4 to almost 6 o’clock position.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I've gotten brass in the face from my G19 with Remington green box ammo. I've read that it's underpowered.

I just put 600 rounds through the G19 last weekend, Federal, CCI (Blazer aluminum), Blazer brass and Fiocchi. Not a single case came near my head.

Very possibly and ammo issue. If not this, could be limp wristing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#10]

I'd be willing to bet the ammo is the primary culprit with the shooter being second.  Ever since I broke a Glock dual recoil spring assembly in one of my G26's I've been running Wolff non-captured guide rods and Wolff stock weigh springs in all my Glocks, the only time I have brass ejecting anywhere near my face is with the lower power 'target' ammo like Magtech and even then, it's ejecting around 4 to 5 o'clock so I doubt the titanium rod is suspect unless he's running heavier than the 18# stock weight of the G19, since he states he bought the rod with the Glock factory spring he should be at the correct spring weight.  I do suspect Veracity may have been limping a bit while working with the new stance and the combination of wimpy ammo and new stance caused the brass to eject at 6 o'clock...

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Had this happen to me about three weeks ago.  Put a nice big fucking scratch in my $300+ shooting glasses (they are prescription).

Never had it happen in the 10K+ rounds I have shot through my glocks...the vast majority of which has been WWB.  Recently I stocked up a bit on Blazer Brass...been hit in the face about 4-5 times in approximately 1200 rounds with the blazer.  Makes sense now with what I've read here...never happened until I switched ammo.

Pissed me off, now I have to get new lenses for my eye protection.  Gotta love the price on the blazer ammo though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Had this happen to me about three weeks ago.  Put a nice big fucking scratch in my $300+ shooting glasses (they are prescription).

Never had it happen in the 10K+ rounds I have shot through my glocks...the vast majority of which has been WWB.  Recently I stocked up a bit on Blazer Brass...been hit in the face about 4-5 times in approximately 1200 rounds with the blazer.  Makes sense now with what I've read here...never happened until I switched ammo.

Pissed me off, now I have to get new lenses for my eye protection.  Gotta love the price on the blazer ammo though.

You know, I was shooting some of that too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#13]
my guess would be limp wrist.
I would say concentrate on that and see if it makes a difference.

good luck!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
my guess would be limp wrist.
I would say concentrate on that and see if it makes a difference.

good luck!

That seems like something that could cause this, but I had the same experience.  I've shot probably 15K of 9mm through my 9mm glocks in my life, and never had it happen until I started shooting blazer brass.

I guaran-damn-tee I wasn't limp-wristing.  I think it was the ammo, in fact, I'd put money on it.

Its got to be pretty hard to limp wrist a 9mm, too, I would think.

This isn't a knock against blazer brass...I love the price of it and I've never had any malfunctions with it.  Only way I'd consider it a big deal is if you have expensive eye protection...kind of sucks I have to replace them.  I might just set them aside as an extra SHTF pair and upgrade to a new make/model of eye wear I've been looking at anyway...save the scratched ones for the days I am shooting the blazer.

eta:  Oh yeah, also, do make sure you wear eye pro if you are shooting blazer (should be wearing it always anyway) !  Who knows, maybe my hunch is wrong, but it sure seems to me like this is the common factor here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top