Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2010 10:23:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2010 10:31:42 AM EDT by Torment]
Ok I'm not the only one a sucker for Colts, but this one is in dire need of TLC. I paid way too much for it, so lets not get into that, but it does have some good attributes mixed with the bad.It needs to be refinished, new beavertail, new trigger, new mag release, extractor, barrel bushing, recoil spring plug, new sights, new grips, all new missing series 80 parts re-installed, new springs, new end plate, grips and I probably should put an ambi safety on it. Otherwise it is great. Someone did install a nice hammer/sear/plundger combo in it and an extended extractor.

After removing the black spray paint off the slide to reveal its worn parkerization underneath,  adding set screws to hold the rear sight on, and adjusting the trigger so it worked, I took it to the range. Unfortunately the front sight looked to be glued on and didn't last one round making the addition of the set screws for the rear moot. Probably weakend it with the lacquer reducer. Oh well these Millets sights sit a mile high off the slide and look horrid anyway. I couldn't do my for accuracy but I did function test the worn out pistol. The extractor is shot I won't gen hold a casing, but 100 rounds and no flaws in cycling. Shocking really! worst Colt I've ever had condition wise and not thus far the worst reliability wise.  At 15 yards and no front sight I blow out a 5" hole in the target. Good enough.

My very first Commander never before having I shot one. I think I'll love it. Slightly more compact  than a full sized gov model it has great balance. I really like that.  It seems to me easier to control and more comfortable than my XD. Not saying I hate my XD, I love it to, but this little Commander is very comfortable to shoot and easy to control.  As I restore and upgrade the pistol I try and write in a little about the experiance. It should be a fun little project.
Pic as  it came. </a>" />

</a>" /> PIC as it is today doing nothing but cosmetics.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:57:50 AM EDT
I called Colt today. I needed to know some info. Parts are cheaper Colt direct than Brownells.  So for the factory stuff I want I'll be making the order I think this week. Time to get busy on it.
I had to laugh. I asked the girl on the phone as to what age this gun might be. From the looks of it I'd say it has been on more than one tour. Turns out the little commander is just ten years old is all. A millennium gun. Someone used and abused this poor commander to death. Well give me some time and as money allows it will be better than new.
Page Handguns » Colt
Top Top